Buy now or wait for Christmas/New year's deals?

Soldato
Remove this because it is slow:
And add that instead:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £248.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Also, 2 other remarks:

1. You don't necessarily need an additional cooler for the Ryzen. It has the box one which is pretty damn good for a box cooler.
2. Find another Windows 10 which is cheaper. You can save dozens of pounds by doing it.

The 960 EVO isn't worth an extra £60 over the perfectly fine 850 EVO.

Associate
OP
Born - Thanks for that. I think you are right. I have been saving and looking for so long I just wanted to make sure I get the best that I can afford. I just need to decide between these two systems and go for it!

4K - Thanks for the advice, I will see if the budget can allow. i need to check to see how much OC will charge me to build it. I won´t be doing it myself.

Sativa - From the research that I have done, the cheaper windows that you get on the bay etc. are not strictly legit, and can be a bit of a lottery. Some don´t work, or after 6 months they stop working. There could also be security issues as that license key might be used by other users. If I am spending this amount of money on a new computer, I just don´t fancy playing that lottery.

Cheers all
Mark

Permabanned
The 960 EVO isn't worth an extra £60 over the perfectly fine 850 EVO.

Read/Write speeds go up from sad 500MB/s/500MB/s to 3000MB/s/1800MB/s.

What's not to like? 60 pounds is nothing, especially for this gigantic budget of 1500 pounds. Only 4% of the sum for the most important speed upgrade.

:D :D

Soldato
Read/Write speeds go up from sad 500MB/s/500MB/s to 3000MB/s/1800MB/s.

What's not to like? 60 pounds is nothing, especially for this gigantic budget of 1500 pounds. Only 4% of the sum for the most important speed upgrade.

:D :D

Those read/write speeds don't make any difference for most real world usage though. Things like boot times or loading games etc won't be noticeably quicker. Also if OCUK are building the system then that is going to add some more money onto the build, which is already at £1480 with a £1500 budget.

Permabanned
Those read/write speeds don't make any difference for most real world usage though. Things like boot times or loading games etc won't be noticeably quicker.

But they will be quicker. Any source or link to back up your claims or are you saying this by heart?

Also if OCUK are building the system then that is going to add some more money onto the build, which is already at £1480 with a £1500 budget.

The system contains several redundant items, free them up and you will have budget for more meaningful items, directly linked for the speed upgrade.

Soldato
Those read/write speeds don't make any difference for most real world usage though. Things like boot times or loading games etc won't be noticeably quicker. Also if OCUK are building the system then that is going to add some more money onto the build, which is already at £1480 with a £1500 budget.

Speaking from experience they are a lot quicker. My son's new Acer Predator laptop boots to desktop in 5 seconds. Thats from cold not from sleep or hibernate. On a SSD my desktop used to boot to windows desktop in 12 seconds with the PCI-e NVMe its not down to 8 seconds. Everything is noticeably quicker. Loading games are so much quicker.

Soldato
But they will be quicker. Any source or link to back up your claims or are you saying this by heart?

The system contains several redundant items, free them up and you will have budget for more meaningful items, directly linked for the speed upgrade.

I can't find a Win 10 comparison, but this link shows Win 8.1 boot times and a few game load times. Hardly any difference between a 1TB 960 EVO and 1TB 850 EVO.

https://techreport.com/review/30993/samsung-960-evo-ssd-reviewed/5

Soldato
Speaking from experience they are a lot quicker. My son's new Acer Predator laptop boots to desktop in 5 seconds. Thats from cold not from sleep or hibernate. On a SSD my desktop used to boot to windows desktop in 12 seconds with the PCI-e NVMe its not down to 8 seconds. Everything is noticeably quicker. Loading games are so much quicker.

Is that enough to justify an extra £60 though ?

Soldato
In the UK, where you get gigantic salaries compared to almost anywhere in the world, these 60 pounds are your pocket money for the day.
You earn dozens of thousands per year. Come on !

I think you are living in a dream world. The average UK salary is around £27K. A lot of people earn below that i.e Minimum wage.

Permabanned
So unless you don't have some money left over after bills you live in a greedy world? :D

I don't understand. What bills do you have that can't be covered by 2.25k monthly (on average). Your electricity bill, let's say, is 100 pounds, for gas, water, some expenses for the car, let's say, you spend 0.5k monthly for the bills. What about the rest up to 2.25k?

Associate
I don't understand. What bills do you have that can't be covered by 2.25k monthly (on average). Your electricity bill, let's say, is 100 pounds, for gas, water, some expenses for the car, let's say, you spend 0.5k monthly for the bills. What about the rest up to 2.25k?

rent/mortgage, council tax, food, insurance. Also that 27k average is before income tax and national insurance, so closer to £1700 a month average. I wish it was as easy as you suggest

Associate
If you are under 25 then it's doubtful you are earning much more than the average which is 1200 a month for under 25s and 1250 for over 25s (on average - minimal is actually paid hourly) For example I'm currently living in Sheffield, in the city centre and am paying 650 for one bedroom flat, will be moving soon to a two bedroom and that costs 775, not including bills, add in bills, food, clothes, travel expenses and it kinda doesn't leave you with much, sure those who are older have it easier but if you also have kids then forget about couple hundred left-over at the month.

Permabanned
The thing is to optimise your expenses in the smartest possible way.
In comparison, in my country, the elderly people live with 80-100 pounds equivalent per month, and this is maybe enough only for the electricity, water, heating, often money for medicines are not left.
The government regularly posts articles that we aren't poor, that people with 450 pounds per month are actually rich, etc crap.
They suggest living with more people at one place. So, somehow, the living expenses are divided among more people and it should become easier.
Absolute hell. Meanwhile, they buy new vehicles for dozens of thousands and pretend that it is important for their reputation.
I will puke !

Soldato
I didnt pay extra £60 though. If you are talking about the OP hmm might think twice. However Samsung PM961 256gb Polaris cost me £86. Equivalent SSD was at the time £92. PM961 6x faster read speeds. No brainer.

The PM961 is an OEM version of the 960 EVO according to the review below, so yes it is much better value at the minute as it is only £8 more than the 850 EVO.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8176/samsung-pm961-1tb-2-nvme-pcie-ssd-review/index.html

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £377.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Permabanned
Imagine not only the boot/load times of applications/Windows/games but also copying of large files.
Very huge difference between copying with over 2500 MBps and only 500 MBps. Actually, the SATA drive will behave pretty similar to an ordinary 2/3 TB drive that can copy with over 200/250 MBps.

Back
Top Bottom