How do McDonald's make their burgers

Soldato
Like them or not.

I tried homemade burgers and hey crumbled to bits when fried. I didn't add egg so maybe that's an important thing however McDonald's burgers are one uniform slab of ground beef so what is their secret.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I got it. McDonald's remove all the moisture from their burgers hence they are not susceptible to mold and can last for ever in the right conditions. Which begs the question, what's the best way to remove as much moisture from the patty as possible. I guess cooked in the oven at the right temp?

Soldato
You don't want to remove moisture to stop it crumbling when frying. A burger is supposed to be juicy when biting into it. What mince for you use? I'd say increase the fat content as that helps bind the burger. Fry it. But don't flip too frequently and you should be ok

Man of Honour
If it's crumbling into bits you probably didn't compress the meat enough and/or disturbed it too much as mangobreeder mentions above.

You don't need a binding agent or any extra random stuff. Get a nice high (min 20%) fat mince, shape, small dimple in the middle, salt and pepper on outside and fry at a high temperature.

Man of Honour
You have to get the fat content right in the mix. Decent steak mince with Chuck or brisket and added fat will see you right
Not not sure someone who wants to recreate McDonald's burgers would be interested in such tasty conditions.

You don't need to waste money on burger presses, and you don't want to squeeze out water and fat.

Bizzare thread.
As always seriouseats.com

My favourite is smashed onion burgers. Although mixing it up occasionally is good.

Soldato
OP
I just threw, mince an onion, a small amount of chopped tomatoes and some seasoning in the blender, made an ultra patty paste, Problem is too much water content due to tomatoes and onions. Ideally need to dry it out. I suppose the oven would be the best bet. Also fried the burger in oil in the pan, again more fat. Just too much liquid. That's what got me thinking about McD's. Which I quite enjoy btw. Nice charred BBQ taste to them.

Caporegime
It's all about the consistency with MCD burgers.
They are very thin new York style too.

Make your mince into a paste patty with just salt and pepper hint of onion powder.

The secret is in the mechanically reclaimed slurry.

Soldato
OP
It's all about the consistency with MCD burgers.
They are very thin new York style too.

Make your mince into a paste patty with just salt and pepper hint of onion powder.

The secret is in the mechanically reclaimed slurry.

How about if you fry of as much fat as you can in frying pan - for a few mins - then stick what's left in the blender. No tomatoes or onion in mix this time. Make into patties. Store in fridge/freezer overnight. Cook in hot oven for 10 mins. Then finish off on grill, but ideally BBQ grill. Would that work?

Just an idea, I'm no chef btw.

Back
Top Bottom