Dashcams!

Soldato
Just grabbed x2 of the earlier Yi dashcams from Amazon for £35 each.

Utter bargain and are working incredibly well. The Wifi to the App on your phone is especially good and you can get the vids to your phone without touching the mem card.

Unfortunately they have a grey front which is pretty visible, but nothing that can't be sorted with a few coats of matt black plastidip.

Soldato
I ordered the Yi ultra last night, I’ll post up with feedback once it’s arrived and fitted. Might end up 3d printing a mount cause I’m not a fan of having brackets dangling as it makes the install look messy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone have any opinions on any of these? (better still have one themselves) Or have alternative suggestions. I've read some of this thread but not all, so if they have been discussed before and I've just missed it, apologies.

Having met just one too many idiots on the road, I think I'm about to bite the bullet and get a dashcam. I was aiming for a budget of around a £100 (give or take a little) I sort of have a short list of 3 devices.

1. Nextbase 412GW. (circa£109) It appears to have a good spec and support for the money. You can get them just about anywhere. Draw-back is it's not the most elegant of designs and I'm not sure whether it comes with an adhesive mount or not. Suction mount looks pretty bulky so the camera looks like it would sit quite low on the screen.

2. VioFo A119S (circa £90) I like the wedge design, it makes for a subtle install and reviews are reasonable. Down-side they are sourced from China, so support may be a little thin on the ground.

3 Anker Roav C1Pro (circa £100) Again a wedge design with what looks like good spec. Downside it looks to have a touchscreen which sounds good but I'm not sure would be that easy to use when sat in the drivers seat.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've been running Thinkware F770 for a week now and have been satisfied with its performance and features.

Only criticism, you have to physically press the WiFi button on the camera to link your phone app to it, through which you operate the camera and view clips. A bit annoying that I can't WiFi to it from my living room without having to go and physically touch the camera in the car.

Caporegime
Got a link - I can't see it that cheap anywhere online! :eek:

https://www.massdrop.com/r/6HW75F

this is the website. they buy directly from manufacturers and sell to public for next to zero profit. they gave me a $125 voucher to use since I have been a regular customer for several years now.

I have bought headphones that were £400 on amazon for £80 off there then had to pay an additional £40 in charges. still £280 cheaper than amazon UK at the time.

I have bought gaming mice for £40 that were £90 in the UK too, etc. It's a very cheap site but it pays to shop around due to custom charges and shipping fees could turn some deals to stupid prices.

However that dashcam I can get it for £110 excluding shipping and charges worth it?

Associate
Just grabbed x2 of the earlier Yi dashcams from Amazon for £35 each.

Utter bargain and are working incredibly well. The Wifi to the App on your phone is especially good and you can get the vids to your phone without touching the mem card.

Unfortunately they have a grey front which is pretty visible, but nothing that can't be sorted with a few coats of matt black plastidip.

Which model is that? I've seen the Toguard on there for similar price of £36. Nearly a thousand reviews for whatever they're worth.

Soldato
well got my Thinkware f800 Pro installed last week and boy is it great but i have a problem lol the picture quality is pretty fuzzy.... though could be me not changing a setting, ;) will have to look into it :) also the motion is not very smooth being only 30fps :/

Soldato
Which model is that? I've seen the Toguard on there for similar price of £36. Nearly a thousand reviews for whatever they're worth.

Just the standard Xiaomi Yi dashcam. I think it does 1296p or 1080p.

A bit obvious when mounted behind the rear view mirror as it's a silver/grey, but a quick coat of plastidip black will sort that out. Comes with a sticky mount and long USB cable.

Very much fit and forget, but I love the ability to connect your phone to it, to both check it's working as it should and to download previous clips (rather than having to remove the MicroSD card).

Associate
I ordered a Yi Ultra dashcam without doing much research as they were on for £40 off this week. Has anyone got one in a bmw 3 series. Does it hide behind the mirror without sticking out too much?

Soldato
Looks pretty good and a nice form factor.

A good review would be that against the Yi camera (£35). That looks more GoPro like, but also has similar features, especially the WiFi connectivity.

Soldato
Has anyone bought a hardwire kit that wasn’t a cheapo Chinese job off eBay et al? Just bought a new car and don’t really want to risk a cheap device.

Back
Top Bottom