Infrastructure as Code

Associate
Hi all, I'm just wondering how many of you are using infrastructure as code today, if you are would you mind giving some detail as responses to the following;

1.) What does your current workflow look like?
2.) What tools are you using to enable this, i.e. Git, Jenkins
3.) Is it used on premise premises with classic platforms such as VMware / Hyper-V etc
4.) Do you use it for your physical network or underlay?
5.) Are you using it for cloud services from Google/Azure/AWS?
6.) Are you using anything like terraform or cloudify to work in a more agnostic way?

I've been looking at different approaches and have come from a job with developers doing CI/CD and where we were beginning to look at infrastructure, but now have the job of trying to convince a large enterprise on the benefits (easy) but tooling, flows and how teams are geared up is going to be somewhat of a challenge, so it would be great to see what you're all doing and how it's improved what you do

Soldato
We use GitLab on prem with git flow / jenkins to get deployed out onto Kubernetes, branch names in repo determine where you code gets deployed. So stage branch goes to Preprod cluster on commit for example, anything else (excluding master) is deployed to dev. We are big on automation so also deploy Monitoring and make CMDB entries etc in the deployment jobs.

Works well - and all happens with entirely open source software and not a licence or support contract in sight

All our Kubernetes nodes run on VMWare VM's on prem.

We have a similar setup to the above with AWS for stuff not on prem.

Associate
We operate entirety in AWS. We use terraform to configure the network, instances, DBs etc.

We use git, Travis as our CI which also builds our python packages. We then use salt stack to deploy them, that's a manual step.

We also use packer to build AMIs regularly to allow us to autoscale quicker

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info, I'm just getting my home lab setup again and terraform is on my list to look at. I'm pretty comfortable with some of the tools i.e. Git / Jenkins / Ansible but need to do some testing and look at hybrid models.

Associate
OP
Does anyone have any thoughts on Cloudformation vs terraform in the real world? and maybe why you decided to go either direction? I've used TF quite a lot recently and worry about simple things like the state tracking in cloudformation. i.e. if something changes on a resource outside of cf it doesn't check the current state is actually compliant with the code.

Back
Top Bottom