Creative X-fi extreme music Or Motherboard Audio (Z270x gamingk5)

Associate
Hi all. I am thinking about hooking up my speakers to the computer again but I am unsure on whether I should connect them to my X-fi extreme music sound card or to the Gigabyte Z270x Gaming K5 motherboard. Which should give the best sound quality? Thanks :)

Associate
OP
Just opened up the computer and I realise the sound card won't fit anywhere lol. My motherboard only has pci express lanes and the sound card is too small. I think its for a regular pci lane?

Man of Honour
The xtreme music originally came in the old PCI format though I think other models and later releases had PCI-e options.

Associate
OP
Yeah. I did get the soundcard 11 years ago so I guess it's time for an upgrade. I tried the motherboard audio, I connected the green orange and black audio cable to the coloured ports on the back of the motherboard but I could only get sound from 1 speaker. I am trying to run my Creative Megaworks 5.1 speakers. I downloaded the X-fi audio driver from the Gigabyte website but it says there isnt a compatible audio device present. Any ideas :)?

Associate
OP
Im such an idiot! I forgot I didn't install the Realtek audio driver. Now I have my 5.1 speakers working. Are my speakers not very good any more then? They are the
Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks THX 5.1 550. They sound quite good to me but they are old..

Soldato
They're tiny little PC speakers, so not. I had the Creative FPS 2000's and they were bloody awful. I'd look at something like the little Q Acoustics 2000 or Wharfedale Diamond 9.0, with a little T-Amp.

Soldato
Depends what the OP wants the speakers for. Stereo speakers aren't much use of the OP wants 5.1 sound for gaming.

The speakers he has are fine for gaming.

Associate
OP
Well I used to love the speakers for 5.1 gaming but I use 7.1 headphones these days. I wanted to connect the speakers again to rock the house. Before I was quite happy with how loud they went, you could hear them from outside with all the windows closed. I definitely think that I am due a speaker upgrade if I really want to rock the house but I am completely clueless in what to look for. For example, the Edifier Luna E235 sounds good to me but I know nothing about speakers. Do you have any suggestions on what I might want to get :p I have a budget of £200-£300 in the new year.

Thanks!

Soldato
Well I used to love the speakers for 5.1 gaming but I use 7.1 headphones these days. I wanted to connect the speakers again to rock the house. Before I was quite happy with how loud they went, you could hear them from outside with all the windows closed. I definitely think that I am due a speaker upgrade if I really want to rock the house but I am completely clueless in what to look for. For example, the Edifier Luna E235 sounds good to me but I know nothing about speakers. Do you have any suggestions on what I might want to get :p I have a budget of £200-£300 in the new year.

Thanks!

That loudness is pure distortion. Have a listen to proper hifi speakers and those Creative speakers will be put in the skip (like what I did) Like I said try Q Acoustics 2010i and a T-amplifier, or if you need more inputs, HDMI switching then get a budget AVR, like a Yamaha 300 series

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I got the sound working in the end and the onboard audio does sound better than my old x-fi card. I will be making a spec me thread for speakers and an amp soon. Hornetstinger has made me feel bad about my speakers :p

Associate
Thanks for the replies. I got the sound working in the end and the onboard audio does sound better than my old x-fi card. I will be making a spec me thread for speakers and an amp soon. Hornetstinger has made me feel bad about my speakers :p
a Good 5.1 Speaker System Like Logitech 906

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I ordered a Soundblaster Z from a website last night and it was delivered this morning! I've got it setup and my friend has just dropped off his Logitech Z906 for me to try. Wow is all I can say! To me this sounds incredible.. I realise there are far better speakers than these but to me this is perfect!

Associate
I ordered a Soundblaster Z from a website last night and it was delivered this morning! I've got it setup and my friend has just dropped off his Logitech Z906 for me to try. Wow is all I can say! To me this sounds incredible.. I realise there are far better speakers than these but to me this is perfect!

Yep, Logitech Z906 System is Very Good, I Have 2 x 906 Systems, One I got for £169 New for back up as they so good,

Edifier Speaker Systems are good also but cost like £400 to 600 & have features for the living room Like Extra Opticals, Bigger Sub, that I don't need, I just use the PC
Would not any difference in sound quality on the PC

What sound blaster Z did you get? , OEM Version ? or The Red cover Retail with beamforming Mic?
CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER ZXR £189 Soundcard Would best Sound, But the price Tag

Last edited:
Associate
I got the retail one with the red cover and the mic. Is the mic any good? For £63 the soundcard seemed like a nice price :) It's also very good!

The Beam Forming Mic is Very Good, I use it for Discord/ Gaming, I Don't like Headsets :)
Very Clear Sound with Sound Blaster Z, You got a good buy there, the Same Retail version I have
At a great Price.

Associate
OP
The mic does seem very good, ive just tried it. I have an issue now lol. I plugged my Hyper x cloud 2 direct into the soundcard and WOW does it sound better. But the cable is really short! Would a 3.5mm jack extension cable solve this issue?

Back
Top Bottom