Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
Looks alright. I would certainly much prefer it over the leeder kit you linked earlier.

I can't see the spec of the rod but i assume that because it is a float rod with fairly small eyes, it likely has quite a soft test curve making it ideal for small fish and light line. The reel isn't massive and won't look/feel out of place on the rod but also is a baitcaster, so in the future you can buy a spare spool off ebay and load some heavier line. So that in the future you could use the reel in a set up (thicker rod and stronger line) for heavier duty course fishing such as carp/pike in the 'sit and wait' alarm style that has become popular in the last few decades.

Man of Honour
rod n reel looks pretty good to me, looks like the reel doesnt come with a shallow spool so see if you could find one on ebay like Avenge suggested
but you could pack it out with some thicker line if need be

Associate
Can't fault that reel at all i have the 4000 model and it covers all of my coarse fishing needs, had some nice barbel and carp using it.

Last edited:
Associate
Thinking of getting this rod https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/drennan-red-range-13ft-float-rod

Maybe this reel https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/shimano-baitrunner-st-fb-reel

Will get a box of floats from the local store. Also seen a middy whip in the local store which I was thinking of using for small fish on the local rivers.

You should take a look at https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/daiwa-12ft-black-widow-1-75lb-twin-tip-rod its an all round good rod for float fishing and ledger method feeder etc, also it's 1.75lb test curve so has plenty of backbone if you hook bigger fish

Associate
Man of Honour
I like the look of these but really not sure how to set up feeder rods. And does the quiver replace a float.
I will eventually move onto carp fishing but it looks complicated.

neither the quiver tip or the stronger tip would be ideal for float fishing

Caporegime
Carp fishing isn’t complicated. The problem with it is that it can seem daunting to beginners because it has become such a large industry that companies like Korda, Nash etc, are constantly coming up with new rigs and products in order to part you from your cash. Most are totally unnecessary. It’s not even that expensive to get started if you shop right.

Soldato
It is actually crazy how much you can pickup for cheap if you wanted to be another sit and wait carper. Growing up, even the cheapest stuff was pretty expensive. Entry level rods, reels, alarms would cost a fair penny and now you can get big 2/3 rod kits with alarms and nets for £100. Sure they are brands like NGT but it will still work.

That said, i cant help but feel people who rush into kitting out tend to develop bad habits. I have a mate who decided he loved fishing after coming with me once. He bought a huge kit and next time we go, he asks me to tie all his stuff - fair enough he needs time to learn. He losses some fish due to poor technique. a year later we go and he still cant tie anything but uses premade rigs because he never bothered, 45lb braid and oversized hooks so he doesn't lose anything on unpolished fighting technique. I asked him about all his new stuff and he said he had been using it pretty much weekly. All the gear and no idea basically.

Is a pole not easier for carp fishing?

Nope. A pole offers less flexibility in both method and placement. Poles are easy enough for smaller carps but larger ones need more care. They are different kinds of fishing. Choose which technique interests you rather than thinking about what is easier for which fish.

Associate
I've recently bought a few different spoons and spinners 3 - 4 inches long, any ideas what sort of hook pattern and size i should use? I want to avoid trebles and use single hooks ideally.

Associate
Looking to get out from Brighton later in Jan to go wrecking - targeting pollack.

All previous boat fishing has been out of Ramsgate so is all bottom fishing with bait - typically after skate, cod or bass - all dependent on the season really, anyway this'll be the first time out from Brighton, first time wrecking and first time using lures for pollack (from a boat) so should be fun!

Seen some interesting suggestions on using light gear, which could be awesome but think I'll stick with either a 12lb Super Kenzaki or a 20lb Saltist paired with a 20 or 30 Saltist Level wind and redgills/jellies.

Soldato
Looking to get out from Brighton later in Jan to go wrecking - targeting pollack.

All previous boat fishing has been out of Ramsgate so is all bottom fishing with bait - typically after skate, cod or bass - all dependent on the season really, anyway this'll be the first time out from Brighton, first time wrecking and first time using lures for pollack (from a boat) so should be fun!

Seen some interesting suggestions on using light gear, which could be awesome but think I'll stick with either a 12lb Super Kenzaki or a 20lb Saltist paired with a 20 or 30 Saltist Level wind and redgills/jellies.

Done quite a bit of Brighton on the wrecks.

I think you have about the right kit there. I've landed big pollack on a 20-50g rod before but depending on the length of drift the time you have you may want to take both - start with the 20 and then then work down to the 12, just incase there's some big cod around on your first drop. Some skippers prefer 20-30 but all depends on the lead and the individual's experience. Take a number of leads along - tide can vary and with a boat load of lines you want the right lead.

You may want a few leads and rigs made up in case you loose some - I keep it simple.

Sidewinders - rhubarb & custards, hot orange and blue holo I've had most luck with. Also if the tide is slack then a black flutter worm with a red tail will catch. Other swear by pink.. I think it all depends on on the day.

Using braid? I have 50, 40, 30 and 20lb on the reels, but for wrecks, a no nonsense 30 or even 50lb braid cuts tide really well.

Associate
Done quite a bit of Brighton on the wrecks.

I think you have about the right kit there. I've landed big pollack on a 20-50g rod before but depending on the length of drift the time you have you may want to take both - start with the 20 and then then work down to the 12, just incase there's some big cod around on your first drop. Some skippers prefer 20-30 but all depends on the lead and the individual's experience. Take a number of leads along - tide can vary and with a boat load of lines you want the right lead.

You may want a few leads and rigs made up in case you loose some - I keep it simple.

Sidewinders - rhubarb & custards, hot orange and blue holo I've had most luck with. Also if the tide is slack then a black flutter worm with a red tail will catch. Other swear by pink.. I think it all depends on on the day.

Using braid? I have 50, 40, 30 and 20lb on the reels, but for wrecks, a no nonsense 30 or even 50lb braid cuts tide really well.

Thanks for the response and tips Nick, much appreciated.

I'll pick up a few extra lures in the colours you mention - out of interest, where do you get the flutter worms from? Will have plenty of spare leads and rigs made up so shouldn't be a problem if I lose some.

I've got mono on the reels at the moment but will switch one of them over onto 30lb braid

Soldato
Thanks for the response and tips Nick, much appreciated.

I'll pick up a few extra lures in the colours you mention - out of interest, where do you get the flutter worms from? Will have plenty of spare leads and rigs made up so shouldn't be a problem if I lose some.

I've got mono on the reels at the moment but will switch one of them over onto 30lb braid

Can't find a direct one but they look like this - https://www.fishingmegastore.com/shakespeare-hellfire-worm~21517.html - black and red rail version. sort of like this: https://www.fishingmegastore.com/cjt-vibro-worms-and-hooks-7in~14035.html

They work well in slack as they'll flutter a lot more - once the tide picks up you may find they "over flutter" and scare fish instead.

Oh I forgot to say I use 6" sidewinders.

I normally just put braid -> swivel -> ~2m of 50lb clear mono and from that either a 3 way swivel or boom and attach a 25lb leader to the lure. On the bottom I'll then attach the lead using a weak link - either two rubber bands or using enough b/s mono to cope with a fish thrashing with a lead on it.

How long the leader is depends - some people like it short and other like it longer, however that depends on how close the other angler's lines are!

Not sure about Ramsgate but Brighton and the south coast gets a load of tide - so over slack I can drop small jigs down.. but then 5oz 6oz 8oz.. 10oz.. anchored up I've had 2x400oz not keep the bottom until the line was far down tide! The braid will make a big difference in feeling and in the weight used. Most people out of brighton I've been on have used braid.

Good luck - a mate sent a photo today and conditions look good.

Man of Honour
@Squid Vicious what boat are you going out on?
Ray on the Grey Viking is prone to changing his mind at the last minute about what kind of fishing he wants to take you out for, even if you've chartered the whole boat yourself :/

Soldato
Ray on the Grey Viking is prone to changing his mind at the last minute about what kind of fishing he wants to take you out for, even if you've chartered the whole boat yourself :/

All skippers will adapt to conditions or issues (like 1/2 the trip turning up) but..

Ray in Grey Viking has mixed feedback from mates but i’ve not had a problem on the trip.. just he likes to ask you to use a deposit on the next trip rather than refund in my case. Good trip out for plaice but can be a bit chaotic in set off time on the odd occasion the Brighton marina water level drops (boats can’t get out).

Paul in Brighton Diver is good, had some amazing trips out but a mate did have him anchored up way uptide of a wreck that was just so happen to be over some nice black bream he was catching, some of the individuals on a public day didn’t turn up so maybe a factor.
Paul is more relaxed in the style of fishing he’ll allow on a trip once you’ve proved your not a numpty.
No nonsense start sharp.

Terry on Sea Breeze seems to have rave reviews from a mate - i’ve not had the chance.

I know a skipper down hayling/Langstone for Great White quite well - has a his moments around bookings sometimes will make the effort to find fish and is happy enough with me using stupidly light gear (refreshing change).
Been out before for rays and bass when a group cancelled with just him, me and a mate - big cat with 3 people!

Will be trying a few others in addition this year - got a trip booked for threasher sharks for example. Will also probably try the inshore guy out of Brighton too.

Associate

I'll be going out on Brigand after a trip in Nov was cancelled due to weather.

Challenge I had last year was finding a boat with availability at relatively short notice - Brigand had the space (which in itself may be saying something) but if I get out I'll be happy.

I just fancy a change of scenery after spending the last five years out of Ramsgate - the Dover boats get packed and Brighton is quite convenient for both me in S.London and my brother in Dover.

I'm trying to convince my brother to move to somewhere with a drive so I can keep a boat near the coast and avoid the marina fees :p

Back
Top Bottom