My First Year of Droning with the DJI Phantom 4 Enjoy :)

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Very impressive :)
I suppose it's harder than it looks. Flight paths to select on location and lots of behind the scenes editing to get the finished video.

I'd like a Mavic sized drone but with a better camera, just for stills.

Associate
OP
Cheers Marzipanogram, I tend to just fly around doing different angles & pans for 30 mins with the Record button on and then edit the best bits for my videos :) clipping them together in Sony Vegas and changing the speeds ect . I don't really do anything else apart from that , I just try to blend it in nice with a selected soundtrack.

Soldato
I'd like a Mavic sized drone but with a better camera, just for stills.
I am hoping they bring out a mavic with P4 pro camera :) Now that would be the perfect drone.
Phantom 4 Pro has good amount bigger sensor needing bigger lens and camera.
And that just wouldn't fit to Mavic, at least without cutting axis or two from gimbal.
Maybe that 1" sensor would fit with mechanical up/down axis using digital stabilization for others.

But anyway Mavic is already darn nice with that folded size comparable to camera lens. (did my first flight today)
Even with propellers removed Phantom pretty much needs whole bag for itself.

What we need is "hammerspace"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Hammerspace
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BagOfHolding
Guess we just have to keep dreaming...

Associate
OP
The only benefit I found from the Mav was the Camera shots looked sharper but the 4k video isn't oddly enough & the fact its small so perfect for holidays and carrying around. I can't complain thou I've taken some amazing photos and videos with mine this year, looking forward to what my P4 Advance has to offer.

You can see my work here :) and on my Instagram page. www.jasonsturgess.co.uk

Soldato
I like the video especially the early part the ending with the drone circling you goes on a bit! My pet hate with drone movies is the use of overly dramatic music to try and jazz up something in which nothing much really happens!

Associate
OP
Soldato
For portability the Air is brilliant. For an upgrade though I would have gone for the 4 Pro.

Personally I'm waiting for the Mavic 2 or the Phantom 5 this year. I would have bought the Air but don't like that it uses wifi.

Associate
Don't get me wrong I loved my P4 and it was hard letting it go but the one thing I hated in my first year of Droning was having to carry it everywhere in a Bag! its pretty big and also the battery's for the P4 & Pro are well expensive now £165 Each - Another thing I hated doing and I did nearly lose my Drone from it was sticking on the Props everytime before takeup

From a hobby Perspective the Air is the way to go , you can just carry it in your hand and whip it out in seconds and fly... It really is the best Drone for someone that Travels a lot., Just picked up 2 x more Batteries the weekend at £69 each so a lot cheaper than P4's
The 4k 30FPS is very nice on the Air. I was worried about the photos but the 8k photo mode is insanely good.

I don't have anything bad to say about it in my 4 weeks of owning it.

If I do decide to go down the Professional route then I myself will prob end up going for P5 with the new lens you can change.

The Wi-Fi is pretty bad in built up areas I agree but if you want to go to the coastline or away from towns or citys as your meant to anyway :) Then the Wi-Fi isnt an issue , its not got the range as the P4 or Mavic pro but then again this Drone is aimed at someone who just wants to take it up quickly get a few banging shots and movie and then bring it back down.

Back
Top Bottom