Looking for a warm mid-layer that's MUCH warmer than Fleece, recommendations?

I do a lot of hiking and wild camping and i swear by Mammut and Mountain Equipment stuff, mid weight fleece by either of those under a Gore-Tex jacket should stave off any cold with a good base layer. Even a heavyweight fleece if needed but thats a bit extreme under a jacket unless you work in alaska or have no circulation at all :D

Associate
Mountain hardware ghost whisperer copes with everything this country can throw, temperature wise. You’ll need waterproof over the top when it is really raining tho.

I’ve been wearing it over a plain cotton Work shirt through this cold snap have been fine.

So for me, a down jacket would be the choice.

I’ll be getting another when this one wears out.

Soldato
https://www.climbers-shop.com/10900842/products/rab-generator-jacket.aspx

I always have this in my backpack - you'll find something similar still on sale. I've had waterproofs completely give up on me miles from anywhere and I just throw this over the top - it wets through but wet and warm is tolerable.

That's a much better shout than a down jacket for UK use. Primaloft and its alternatives are great and can take so much more abuse while still keeping you warm.

Soldato
Mountain hardware ghost whisperer copes with everything this country can throw, temperature wise. You’ll need waterproof over the top when it is really raining tho.

I have a ghost whisperer too and it's great. It's quite thin so it fits nicely under a waterproof shell and packs away easily - and weighs less than a cotton tshirt.
I'd say it's only really suitable for situations where weight is important though. As a jacket to wear around town, I'm sure you'd be able to find something equally as warm for a quarter of the price.

Soldato
Good 3-in-1 jacket is a staple. North Face if you can run to it. Useful in all weathers. Down is probably a bit overkill, though you can get lightweight down jackets/gilets.

Soldato
What about a hat? I wore fleece trousers, t shirt, fleece and a parka with reasonable insulation in -8 temps in iceland recently and when I had my hat on I was more than comfortable.

Underboss
OP
That's a much better shout than a down jacket for UK use. Primaloft and its alternatives are great and can take so much more abuse while still keeping you warm.

Primsloft looks like a good alternative to Down, equivalent to like 500 fill or something , which might suit me better, if i can get one that looks less like your going into space or the north pole

Underboss
OP
:eek:
What's happened, why can't you cycle?
I associate your name with cycling.

you do ? loved cycling and posting in the cycling thread

Gave it up (hopefully not long term) because i have had too many episodes with my back, now i have chronic back pain and unable to ride, one of my discs is worn and torn a little more than the other one, and thus , on the X-Ray you can see it slightly crushed :(

Associate
Murder a human and wear his skin.

This.

Some great suggestions in here. As a perennially frozen person, I'm taking notes. Shi have you tried wearing a hat? Always keeps me so much toastier

On a side note, you mention your metabolism is quite fast and you don't gain wait. Probs nothing but have you had your thyroid checked?

Man of Honour
Primalof is synthetic and not as warm, for the weight, as down. However it doesn't collapse like down does in the rain. If you have a waterproof outer then down will be better. If this will be the outer layer then it is better than down in the wet.

The ghost whisperer mentioned above is a good shout (but not in the rain unless under a waterproof outer layer).

Back
Top Bottom