** Official Ubuntu Thread **

Soldato
Just a heads up if you haven't tried it yet that the new 17.10 Ubuntu release is really nice!

So much better than the 17.04. It has a very snappy feel to the desktop. Gnome is a nice improvement over Unity.

Soldato
Already got it seeding away on my torrent box :cool:

I've been using the Gnome desktop for about a month now, I don't like non LTS builds as I use it daily for work so am using 16.04.2 with the ubuntu-gnome-desktop installed, a few tweaks like weather addons and dash to dock, paper icon theme and it feels like a perfectly polished OS. Never thought I'd move away from Unity.

Soldato
Was kinda hoping this release would finish off the current install of xubuntu on my server, needed an excuse to do a fresh reinstall as this is built off 13.04 originally. Sadly another sucessful upgrade why wont this os die

Soldato
It certainly is a nice distro although I can't use it at the moment because the official Docker distribution doesn't support it yet. When the new version comes out that adds support I'll be able to use it more.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Eww Linux desktop :) I keep wanting to try it as dual boot on my work lapper but it has BitLocker and a few other Microsoft 'anti Linux' things that would likely bork it. That and I still need support for Word, Excel, OneNote, etc which is why i moved away from Arch to OSX about 5 years ago.

They are starting to look aesthetically a lot better with desktops like Budgie though, which looks <3. Long way from when i started with seperate X sessions per monitor and using Beryl and Compiz to show off!

Soldato
The larger strains of Linux are a really viable OS now. It’s such a shame that MS have dominated for so long with their products and it’s classed as swearing suggesting anything other.

Soldato
Eww Linux desktop :) I keep wanting to try it as dual boot on my work lapper but it has BitLocker and a few other Microsoft 'anti Linux' things that would likely bork it. That and I still need support for Word, Excel, OneNote, etc which is why i moved away from Arch to OSX about 5 years ago.

They are starting to look aesthetically a lot better with desktops like Budgie though, which looks <3. Long way from when i started with seperate X sessions per monitor and using Beryl and Compiz to show off!

Install VirtualBox and then you can install as many Linux distributions you want for free and try them all out.

Personally I use VMWare Workstation Pro 14 but that is quite expensive. VirtualBox is free and open source and should be fine for casual use.

Soldato
Did anyone else suffer from infuriating touchpad settings on 17.10? I saw one post refer to it as "magnetism" and that is exactly what it felt like. The cursor would jump to things you were close to, or moving to.
Couldn't find a way to turn it off, and just went back to Mint in the end.

Soldato
I didn't get any "magnetism" .

I really like the GNOME desktop. It feels like the entire thing has modernised and there are less apps with a grey surround which makes things feel much cleaner and fresh too.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Looks like it's not a good idea to install on Lenovo laptops at the moment ...

linky

(have to admit I have a bit of loathing for EFI where Linux is concerned ....)
Yeah that made me chuckle this morning. Quite a lot of debate online regarding why an OS would need to modify a BIOS, ROM vs EEPROM, etc. Made for an interesting read during my coffee.

Soldato
Was going to mention this, saw the tweet regarding Lenovo laptops, my workhorse X240 st there smugly as I would only ever run an LTS build. Hopefully 18.04 will have cleaned up this mishap.

Soldato
My x230 so far has been fine apart from a gnome-software bug which randomly starts eating loads of ram + filling syslog with nonsense.

Associate
Currently running 17.10 on my work machine as 16LTS borked and I couldn't sort it for the life of me, even after a format and reinstall! Some sort of UI issue which was fixed nicely by switching to 17. Looking forward to the upcoming 18LTS release!

Soldato
Looking at the 18LTS beta I was a bit disappointed that you have to use the alternative install ISO still to install the server version with LVM and that that seems to still be using the old installer rather than the new one used on the main server version disk.

Associate
The larger strains of Linux are a really viable OS now. It’s such a shame that MS have dominated for so long with their products and it’s classed as swearing suggesting anything other.

It's not MS fault that Linux has taken 25 years to become an acceptable desktop user experience. Now that it has, it has to fight against the fact that MS desktop engineers are plentiful and cheap to employ. Until that changes, Windows will dominate corporates

Don
Not worth creating a new thread for this. I installed 18.04 server on a Virtualbox last night and holy heck was it fast to install! Seriously fast compared to 16.04.

Commissario
Not worth creating a new thread for this. I installed 18.04 server on a Virtualbox last night and holy heck was it fast to install! Seriously fast compared to 16.04.
Yup, I blatted my old Dell E6440 which had 16.04 on it a few days ago and was impressed at the speed of 18.04LTS (desktop). It won't get a lot of use but it feels very snappy indeed.

Soldato
I updated my Dell SFF box which was running 17.10 to 18.04 last weekend ... went quickly and smoothly once I got it to start doing the upgrade (which was a bit dubious to start with). Even didn't break the Docker install on the system.

Man of Honour
Ubuntu 18.04 Mate is running very well for me on my laptop. It starts up and shuts down amazingly quickly. Very happy with it although I may go back to Mint Cinnamon when the next version is released (I prefer Cinnamon).

Back
Top Bottom