What torque wrench?

Soldato
Halfords pro maybe? Get a 1/2" drive with up to ~120Nm?

Edit:
Here: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_180255_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Will do most of what you want, no hub nuts though. For that you'd want:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_178621_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

I'd reckon it'd be best to go for the second one you've listed and getting a 3/8 Drive one for the less tight stuff - A 1/2 drive torque wrench doing something like spark plugs is a bit unwieldy :).

Associate
Have been looking for a new torque wrench myself after my old one bit the dust. Was thinking of going down the Halfords route. Has anyone heard of a brand called Toptul? A motor factors near me stock them, the counter guy seemed to rate them but i'm not sure about spending ££ on a brand i have not heard of before, looked like a good piece of kit though.

Soldato
Associate
Just to add to this debate, as i happen to have to calibrate torque wrench's as a part of my job. When it comes to repeatability and accuracy I would recommend 1st Snap-on but they are silly expensive and for the average home mechanic over kill. If you don't want to spend that sort of money 2nd Norbar are great and 3rd Halfords torque wrench's i have alway been pleasantly surprised by how good they actually are. Personally i own two Norbar wrench's and one Drapper.

Soldato
Just to add to this debate, as i happen to have to calibrate torque wrench's as a part of my job.
interesting - how much do torque wrench's drift then ?

I usually slack the spring off, on the brittool I use, between occassional uses,
and had wondered if you can check them against a specific Nm, using a bolt tightened up with a weight at the end of a spanner

Associate

I usually slack the spring off, on the brittool I use, between occassional uses,
and had wondered if you can check them against a specific Nm, using a bolt tightened up with a weight at the end of a spanner

Most wrench’s drift due to people not looking after them and leaving them set high. As you said, you are suppose to reduce the setting to the lowest value on the wench.
I would I usually have to adjust 1 in 10. Recently we had a local breakdown company send theirs in, all but 1 were out of spec the worst was 15% when the tolerance was 4%

Soldato

Not really a good method of checking the torque due to factors such as increased breaking torque, differing levels of friction when torqueing up the 'test' bolt etc.

Back
Top Bottom