What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Passengers - Chris Prat gets woken up early during a 90 year space flight and decides he needs Jennifer Lawrence as company. A sci-fi romance ensues. Likeable leads make this better than it should be but it is not all that exciting. 3/5

Soldato
Falling Down - 8/10.

Another contender for films older than you remember (1993 for goodness sake). Starts well but does start to falter once they decided to make "Bill"/D-Fens a bit unhinged rather than the everyman who just snapped. Full of deliciously served Michael Douglas one-liners...

"Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture..?"

Also notorious for being the first NTSC laser disc we bought back in the day - paid £45!!!

Don
Star Wars - The Last Jedi - 5/10

Two films in one for me. Some of the set pieces are brilliant, especially the use of colours.

But at times it plunged into too much of “for the kids”.

Saw it in 4DX. Generally very good, I must say the evening dress admiral wears a nice scent. :o

Soldato
Bright - 6.5/10 - I liked this overall despite several issues and it had one the best "wow" moments this year for the "visual" part of my brain when

the tree lit up behind all the kneeling orcs after Jakoby had been revived after being killed and thrown down the pit

As for the issues I though Noomi Rapace was massively under utilised considering her abilities, the wife & daughter side plot was unexplored, the "FBI" stuff was very weak and the theme is a bit worn out (yet another Alien Nation style cop buddy movie) but I liked the mythical twist they've put on it, I really liked the world building they did & would like to know more (could a TV version work, not sure?) and I thought both leads played very well off each other. I mean, neither will win an oscar but both did really well in their roles, even if Will Smith was just playing Will Smith yet again.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - 4/10 - While it's good to see that Vince Vaughn can stretch his acting ability outside of just comedy this uber low budget film really suffers from a poor script, poor story and a very obvious lack of any real budget, with each "prison" looking more like hospital & restaurant basements than actual prisons and some extremely poor bit-part actors playing the guards (especially at Red Leaf). However he manages the physical stuff quite well and is actually a bit convincing as a slow lumbering behemoth that just won't stop but those few minutes of very graphic violence can't make up for the rest of the films failings for me.

Soldato
Brawl in Cell Block 99 - 4/10 - While it's good to see that Vince Vaughn can stretch his acting ability outside of just comedy this uber low budget film really suffers from a poor script, poor story and a very obvious lack of any real budget, with each "prison" looking more like hospital & restaurant basements than actual prisons and some extremely poor bit-part actors playing the guards (especially at Red Leaf). However he manages the physical stuff quite well and is actually a bit convincing as a slow lumbering behemoth that just won't stop but those few minutes of very graphic violence can't make up for the rest of the films failings for me.

I really liked Vince Vaughn when he starred in True Detectives but even his acting skills couldn't make that film anything other than mediocre, at best.

Associate
Finally got round to watching Legend with the wifey. She seemed to enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of gangster movies though, it wasn't a bad film in any sense.

I think because gangsters are inherently bad people then I don't have any empathy towards the characters.

Associate
Star Wars - The Last Jedi - 5/10

Two films in one for me. Some of the set pieces are brilliant, especially the use of colours.

But at times it plunged into too much of “for the kids”.

Saw it in 4DX. Generally very good, I must say the evening dress admiral wears a nice scent. :o
That's exactly how I felt. The action scenes were great, the bombing run on the Dreadnaught for example. I like Kylo Ren as a character, he's conflicted and that makes him dangerous. I like some of the brutality bof the light sabre fights now too.

Rey is a complete Mary Sue though. My 9 yr old daughter has kind of twigged on to that. She asked "how could she move all the rocks at the end?" Rey showed no previous mastery of the force to that level at all. She's had no light sabre training but can fight toe to toe with Kylo Ten, best him in some instances and defeat the Imperial Guards all by herself.

Don
That's exactly how I felt. The action scenes were great, the bombing run on the Dreadnaught for example. I like Kylo Ren as a character, he's conflicted and that makes him dangerous. I like some of the brutality bof the light sabre fights now too.

Rey is a complete Mary Sue though. My 9 yr old daughter has kind of twigged on to that. She asked "how could she move all the rocks at the end?" Rey showed no previous mastery of the force to that level at all. She's had no light sabre training but can fight toe to toe with Kylo Ten, best him in some instances and defeat the Imperial Guards all by herself.
Aye, I'm not a fan of the Rey character for that reason and also I don't think Daisy Ridley is a particularly great actress. Both Mark Hamill (Mark Hamill!!!) and Adam Driver perform their characters fantastically and portray the depth to theirs superbly (Driver a massive improvement on the previous film). She on the other hand just doesn't portray Rey with any real depth at all.

Associate
Aye, I'm not a fan of the Rey character for that reason and also I don't think Daisy Ridley is a particularly great actress. Both Mark Hamill (Mark Hamill!!!) and Adam Driver perform their characters fantastically and portray the depth to theirs superbly (Driver a massive improvement on the previous film). She on the other hand just doesn't portray Rey with any real depth at all.
My daughter likes her though. I'm sure they'll loads of Rey dolls to little girls this Christmas

Soldato
Crooked House - Agatha Christie on a low budget compared to Murder on the Orient Express but a lot after named actors give the material a good go. It premiered on Channel 5 so it must have suffered somewhere. 3/5

Back
Top Bottom