How do you feel about buying second hand components?

Soldato
I bought a 'mint condition' 1080 Strix for my main rig and 8GB of dirt cheap DDR 3 for my Mum's PC in the last six months.

It's a shame my main PC is now 'virtually bleeding edge' because I think I've overlooked some proper savings over the years due to my prior snootiness over buying used. Never had any issue in flogging my own gear of course, but I'm just looking for a quick, clean sale and not to rip any one off. Just be smart a look for plenty of good feedback.

The only thing I wouldn't touch would be PSU's.

Man of Honour
I don't have a problem with used components at all. Many of the things I've bought over the years have been (usually from the MM).

But I've got mixed views of b grade stuff. It can work out a bargain but it has usually been returned for a reason.

Associate
I’ve always avoided b grade. Not through experience but as above... it’s returned for a reason I guess

But 2nd hand, as long as I can see it working I’m an advocate of as you can save a fortune by having “last ten” gear!

Soldato
Bought loads second hand over the years including motherboards, CPUs, RAM, hard drives. Great when you're fixing an old machine up for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot etc. Also I buy second hand hard drives from CeX all the time when I need more storage. Cheaper than buying external drives.

Man of Honour
Also I buy second hand hard drives from CeX all the time when I need more storage
that's ballsy. hdds are one of the only components i buy new - don't trust 2nd hand drives. most electronics have higher failure rates as they age/wear - but hdds even more so :x

Soldato
There's been some pretty major parts of my build that have been second hand basically all the time for about the last 10 years. Currently my PSU (seasonic x-series 1250w @ £70) and screen (Asus ROG Swift PG278Q @ £320)...I've had 1 issue in about 15 years from 2nd hand parts and that was a muppet sticking 2 WD raptors loose in a box. I got them both RMA'd for bigger/better drives...

Soldato
that's ballsy. hdds are one of the only components i buy new - don't trust 2nd hand drives. most electronics have higher failure rates as they age/wear - but hdds even more so :x

Not had one fail yet. I test them first when I get them but they are mostly just used as archive drives.

Permabanned
I don't mind as long as they work correctly and I get them at a bargain price. Recently got a 4670k, motherboard, CPU cooler and GTX 680 thrown in for £150. Overclocked nicely to 4.4GHz @ 1.22v.

Soldato
Well if you buy off members market on here and it turns up damaged then there is nothink anyone can do especally if you use bank transfer so paying paypal gives you more hope of getting your money back.

Caporegime
Never bought anything second hand in my life, except for my very first car when I was 18. Even the two cars I had after that were brand new. Probably got enough to buy a second hand Mac now if I wanted but no, I'd rather wait and keep using this POS I have now to save up a bit more for a brand new iMac later in the year.

Associate
Bought many 2nd hand components before, just need to remember that 2nd hand components don't usually come with any warranty so you need to calculate if the cost your saving is worth it.

Soldato
The OCUK B grade stuff comes with a 90 day warranty which is a good safety net. Out of the 30 or items I've bought from there I've returned one TPCast kit recently because the HDMI cable between the transmitter and Vive HMD was intermittent. Probably could have replaced it but it's a custom split cable so it was easier to just return it.

last week I needed a replacement X99 board for a dead motherboard from a friends system. Just happened to coincide with a Gigabyte X99 SLI Plus appearing for £60 and so I snapped that one up. Damn cheap for a high quality motherboard. It was bare but had the important IO shield and was for a straight swap anyway.

Associate
I always buy second hand stuff. In fact I’m struggling to recollect anything I’ve bought new that I could find cheaper second hand in the last few years. Small kitchen appliances and small furniture I guess would about cover it, and I don’t buy used clothes.

I have some really nice stuff I would never have been able to own if I was buying everything new.

I wouldn’t buy a used HDD as others on here have said - I did once and it didn’t last me a year. Would probably go for a used PSU but only if I knew it wasn’t more than a couple of years old.

Associate
The only parts I've had fail so far have been bought new - faulty second hand parts have been faulty on arrival, so haven't counted.

I wouldn't be able to have afforded my current machine if It hadn't been acquired one piece at a time second hand - the downside of buying older components is they stop making/selling them :/

Back
Top Bottom