• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

V F

V F

Soldato
I've installed over the top since the Vista days and never had an issue, install over the top in an SLI config and boot the game straight up.

32bit support should have been removed on GPU's starting with the 3GB 780 Ti.

Hopefully the driver size will go down a bit, 440mb+ is really getting ridiculous.

I remember when they used to be 45MB? Detonator XP days.

Soldato
I remember when they used to be 45MB? Detonator XP days.

Bloat free driver install package is roughly half the size vs regular install package. Latest nvidia drivers have been around 1gig unpacked and when you remove all the bloat installs its reduced to around 590ish. Still its a lot for a single driver. However the display driver part is around 370ish and the control inside that is atleast 100mb so suddently it doesnt seem that bad when you pick it apart.

Soldato
Don't Nvidia claim there is more lines of code in their driver than in the MS operating system?

Sounds like it needs optimising a lot. More code does not mean it's good. It means they have overprogrammed something which should be done simpler. Or they have goten lazy and not tidied up old code and left it in useless. Probably just nulled it out so the compiler ignores it instead of actually tidying the code up. Probably why it seems laggy and freezes up when u change settings. I miss using AMD's control panel. Opens instantly and is a breeze to use.

Man of Honour
Opens instantly and is a breeze to use.

As I've posted before the speed it opens is entirely linked to the last page you were viewing as it reopens to that - for something like adjust desktop colour settings it opens instantly for Manage 3D settings it takes a lot longer as it has to fetch a load of information. If people really care I posted a method to make it open instantly by defaulting to the "home" page instead of the last page you were using.

Soldato
As I've posted before the speed it opens is entirely linked to the last page you were viewing as it reopens to that - for something like adjust desktop colour settings it opens instantly for Manage 3D settings it takes a lot longer as it has to fetch a load of information. If people really care I posted a method to make it open instantly by defaulting to the "home" page instead of the last page you were using.

I shouldn't have to do it though. Why should i try to fix nvidia's control panel to make it work better. They should fix it and make it run smoother. Like i said it needs optimising and it could do with a facelift too, as it looks ugly and pre Windows XP.

Man of Honour
Its functional - don't really see the need for something fancy looking myself when all I do is jump in there occasionally to adjust settings - its not so pre Windows XP as to have an impact on its functionality.

They should put some options in there though so people can control which page it opens to etc. without having to revert to dodgy registry edits, etc.

V F

V F

Soldato
Its functional - don't really see the need for something fancy looking myself when all I do is jump in there occasionally to adjust settings - its not so pre Windows XP as to have an impact on its functionality.

They should put some options in there though so people can control which page it opens to etc. without having to revert to dodgy registry edits, etc.

What is to adjust though apart from Hz for high refresh rate displays. Everything else is controlled from the game. Don’t need to touch the video stuff. Even any adjusting once one is finished, click the home button problem solved.

Soldato
Sounds like it needs optimising a lot. More code does not mean it's good. It means they have overprogrammed something which should be done simpler. Or they have goten lazy and not tidied up old code and left it in useless. Probably just nulled it out so the compiler ignores it instead of actually tidying the code up. Probably why it seems laggy and freezes up when u change settings. I miss using AMD's control panel. Opens instantly and is a breeze to use.
I'm not a fan of either. Nvidia's can be sluggish, especially when applying settings. It's not pretty, but it's functional and that's really what I'm looking for from a control panel. It's not like I'm going to be using it 7 hours a day.
On the other hand it does look like it was designed to be used on a PC, AMD's control panel looks like it was design to be used on a touchscreen with your forehead. So much wasted space. If you want to make it an option to have large buttons/text/etc. fine, but why force it on everyone. The AMD control panel can also be sluggish if you're on the game profiles screen and it has to load a lot of games. Isn't there also an 'Advanced options' section which completely breaks the new design and reverts to the old style? Or did they update that?

Caporegime
Using 388.71 here. It's only happened in CS:S so far, but I seem to be getting driver crashes in that game from time to time. Alt-tabbing might not be helping, which would account for two of the three issues encountered.

Soldato
Is it normal for the drivers to uninstall geforce experiance?

I'm on an older version with updates blocked because the new versions have a low audio bug, where if capture server isn't 100%, audio level on recordings is really low (still there judging by their forums), so installed using custom option and unticked the experiance and instead of just not installing the new version, it uninstall the old.

Reinstalled the old, but can I expect that everytime? Try to force the new and if you don't take it, uninstall the old version. Is there a way to stop it?

Last edited:
Associate
Ty gonna hope my issue of hitting game profiles taking 1 minute to load up versus instant global settings. I wish we could get a new gui and bloatfree driver. Amd got a new one this js the same gui since umm?
Agreed - the NV control panel is in desperate need of an overhaul.

Permabanned
Agreed - the NV control panel is in desperate need of an overhaul.

It also has obvious bugs trying to milk out max iq is going into the game specific profile setting high quality manually and toggling off one if the trilinear optimizations. They grey out in some games but if you do this and restart next time in you can disable them. So all optimizations are manually off and its in hq mode.

This and the loading times grind my gears... but a fix would be a fair way off they have no competition anymore and how long did the fix for rgb full take haha?

3 years+

Soldato

Yea AMD's panel is really good now and it has a setting for pretty much everything (without having to log in to spyware services). Even a "compute mode" in the recent ones :)

Soldato
Latest driver the best one to use for Nvidia? The 390.65 ones?
I never said they did it vindictively. And I never said Nvidia drivers were better than AMD drivers. It's just after more than 18 months they are fully matured and it's just bug fixes for specific games at this stage. Whereas AMD's Vega drivers are still a work in progress as can be seen by the latest DX9 problem. Adrenalin drivers brought a lot of great features but broke a lot of other things, The hotfix drivers were better with improvements to performance and hopefully the next set of drivers will have both the features of the Adrenalin drivers and the performance of the 11.4 ones.

Sorry, I don't agree with that comment about most people just upgrade to the latest drivers when asked. That might apply to people who have mainstream cards, but, I would say the majority of people spending £500 on a GPU know about drivers.

:D:p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom