What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Independence Day Resurgence. Mindless fun. I quite enjoyed it. 7/10.

Took me a while to stop thinking every time Liam Hemsworth appeared, 'is that Gareth Bale?

when that white ball thing turned up to basically explain an entire 10 films worth of lore.... Hilarious hokum!
'

Soldato
Birth of the dragon 1/10

Just turned off after 30 mins. Everything about this film feels wrong, it's got that vibe that it's trying to make Lee out to be the bad guy who has no interest in his art apart from promoting himself and gaining fame above all else.

It's like some propaganda film trying to tarnish his name.

Associate
Watched Bright. Will give it a 7/10. I really liked the fantasy premise but set in modern day LA but felt ultimately they could have done a little bit more with the story.
I felt Netflix should have made it as a series and fleshed out the universe but I have a feeling a big part of the alleged 90 million budget went to Will Smith, Joe Edgerton and Naomi Rapace so that made doing it as 1 film the only option unless they cast lesser known actors for these rolls.

Soldato
Beauty and the Beast - I'm not sure why this film exists. It is essentially the same as the animated one but more stretched out and too many songs. However it was well made and entertaining enough but watch the animated one and save yourself forty-five minutes. 3/5

Associate
Brawn in Cell Block 99 deserves 8/10.
Quite brutal in parts and Vince Vuaghn gives another earnest preformance after seeing his serious side in True Detective series 2.

Associate
Penguins of Madagascar (2014) - 8/10

Wacky and zany from the start with a frantic pace of action, adventure and comedy.

Inventive, funny and looks great (in 2D or 3D), although some of it is a bit too silly at times, and none of it is really that memorable.

The plot is simple but effective, and although the ending is a bit naff, the new characters and futuristic spy stuff both work well with the Penguin’s unique style to problem solving.

Soldato
Sisters

Guess this is the kind of film lot of actors do after burning out on big projects to cash out.

5.5/10

Bushwick

Random film that popped up on Netflix but a pretty solid B movie I thought. First 20 minutes were brilliant but definitely a watch once kinda film.

6/10

Soldato
Rogue One

Strange film. I actually liked the first half, but once all the shooty, shooty bang stuff kicked off in the second half, I grew steadily more depressed. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think that's how Star Wars is supposed to make you feel.

Killing all of them off seemed unnecessary, short sighted and rather sad. I actually grew to like Jyn, the robot and 'that rebel bloke', but wild ruthless killing does seem to be the Disney Nu-Star Wars way. :(

Most of the music just felt so off as well, which didn't help matters.

I didn't hate Rogue One, but why would I want to watch it again? 6/10.

Commissario
I watched Free Fire last night 6.5/10

It started off slow, but then got a little complicated and a lot of action going, with a fair amount of comedy as well.
It's a silly action film that is basically an hour long gun (almost typed fun, but that too) fight with some great moments and a slightly unexpected twist or two.

It's also got Tyres from Spaced in it :)

Soldato
Watched a few last couple of days;

Now You See Me - 7.5/10 - watched this a while ago but forgot how much I enjoyed it the first time!
Now You See Me 2 - 6/10 - not anywhere near as good as the first :(
Justice League - 7/10 - enjoyed it, can tell it was heavily cut to stay below 2 hours. Thought Affleck was good, and I like the new Flash!
Bright - 7/10 - cheesy sort of film, but enjoyed it while I watched it. Not fantastic, but fun to watch!

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Rogue One

Strange film. I actually liked the first half, but once all the shooty, shooty bang stuff kicked off in the second half, I grew steadily more depressed. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think that's how Star Wars is supposed to make you feel.

Oh yeah, I remember leaving cinema after TESB and we were all like cheering and lolling for Rebels smashed to pieces, Han Solo frozen in carbonite and Luke with his hand chopped off. :D
You know they actually changed the ending of RO to give it gravitas and grown up vibe. I actually rate it the second best movie in SW world, in a world of Mary Sue's and janitors battling with light sabres I was scared to watch RO again for long months in fear that I would spot something off and canon breaking in the plot and break the magical spell that transported me back into the SW world of my childhood so fully and so perfectly while retaining its adult and grown up tone. It's a 9/10 movie for me, easily, and its timelessness is marred only by really dodgy motion caption CGI. The best of post OT SW movies. A living proof that returns to SW universe by Disney is possible if script is good.

Soldato
Logan Lucky - 5/10 - Redneck Oceans 11 with some very fun performances and a few good laughs but, despite the uniqueness of making if a Redneck heist, there's nothing really that different to any other Soderberg heist movie in tone. Enjoyable in places but Meh overall.

Cars 3 - 4/10 - A nice "passing of the torch" film for kids but, unlike the original, there's not much there for adults this time around and yet again for a Hollywood film, it's all been done before and better.

Battle of the Sexes - 6/10 - The story of a mid 20's No1 tennis superstar beating an 55 year old, unfit ex-player way past their prime and how this symbolic defeat was somehow a turning point in the American sexual revolution. Sarcasm aside the actual tennis scenes were boring to me but Billie Jean Kings backstory (ably acted by Emma Stone), where she was married but found herself attracted to her female hairdresser, was handled quite well and Steve Carell must have had a blast playing Bobby Riggs, a washed up ex-pro player with a gambling habit who saw an opportunity to make a ton of money and grasped it with both greedy hands.

Soldato
The killing of a sacred deer. 2/10

Utterly failed as a film spectacle. Whether it worked as something else is debatable. And is it worth debating?

Lobster worked because it had a certain oddball charm and was still a film....

Soldato
Hacksaw Ridge - 6/10

I liked it. Probably would have liked it more at the cinema but I really didn't see what the fuss was about. I don't think it would even make my top 5 war films.

Soldato
Batman Begins - 4k Blu-ray - 7/10.

A lot better than I remember it, prefer Ben Affleck as Batman from a voice and physicality perspective, but Christoper Nolan's Batman films are vastly superior to the recent efforts.
Also, it looked amazing on 4k blu-ray. Looking forward to watching The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises in the coming days in 4k too! :)

Soldato
The Road

This is the film that literally taught me the meaning of the word desponent when I watched it not long after its release. Harrowing, haunting and powerful experience that was difficult to watch and made you feel empty inside. One of those rare cinematic experiences that you can get.

I don't know if it's my rose tinted glasses or what but it had far less impact on me this time round. Think I'm feeling almost sorry I watched it, that experience and memory was probably better left untouched.

7/10

Back
Top Bottom