Are all phones flawed at the minute?

Soldato
Hey everyone.

I'm currently using a OnePlus 3 and for the most part it's still ok I just miss having a decent camera.

I've eyed up all the usual phones and they all have deal breaking flaws that I can't help but feel I'll be just "making do" with any £500+ device.

Ideally I'd like a headphone jack, at least 3300mah battery and a decent camera.

However these are the conclusions I've come to...

S8/note 8 - pretty much fits the bill but that fingerprint sensor would do my head in.

Huawei mate 10 pro - looks good but not keen on EMUI, still nearly the top of my list. Not had any experience with Huawei updates/returns.

Lg v30 - leading the way for me at the minute, although cameras have mixed opinions. Loved my old G4 until it died.

Pixel 2 XL - fond of this but seems to be a car crash of a phone with screen issues, wonky dongles, connectivity problems and general roughness. Really want to like this phone due to the whole Google thing.

I can deal with phones having more features than others and sacrificing things but every phone seems to have manufacturing issues which makes me think just wait till next year?

What do you lot reckon?

Soldato
got S8. had front/rear scanner phones before, got used to S8 in 15 minutes. it's not ideal, we all know it, but hey, the rest of the phone is really good.

Associate
I have got the Note 8 and the fingerprint scanner placement almost put me off from purchasing the device, in fact I had totally discounted it if being honest. I then managed to get hold of one at a decent price, so took the chance and as stated earlier in the thread, it is far from ideal but you soon get used to it and I now love the phone. So if the rest of the s8 appeals to you, then I wouldn't let that stop you from getting one.

Man of Honour
to the title question yep.
as to which to get no idea.

between all the manufacturers and modes, you would think they could corner all the market, instead, they all clump together.

Associate
I upgraded from the OnePlus 3 to the Huawei Mate 10 Pro last week. I very nearly went for the OnePlus 5T but after the bad camera reports, I cancelled the order.

Excellent phone right out of the box and very happy with it overall, the only niggly thing with it as you pointed out is EMUI interface - it has took some getting used to and I've even tried out various launchers but I've gone back to the factory feel of it now. There are still improvement to be made with EMUI but so far so good, but overall it's an excellent device. The battery life on it really is a step up in comparison to the OP3, I easily get two full days out of this device.

On another plus note, a totally stock Android 8.0 Oreo ROM is currently in the works by a known developer who frequents the XDA forum - I'm keeping a close eye on it's release which hopefully will be early in the new year.

Liam.

Associate
Yes they are all flawed.

My Pixel 2 XL I love, but yes it does have poor viewing angles. The Bluetooth seems fairly crap so far.

Samsung phones - full of bloatware, poor performance considering the hardware

LG phones - build quality issues

Etc etc...

Hate to say it but Apple phones do seem to be the best all rounders, everything considered, but not everyone wants iOS.

Pick your poison, basically...

Soldato
OP
Glad to see it's not just me. I don't mind colour tinting or even a little bit of bad colour uniformity but it's deal breaking stuff that annoys me.

For me it's it's now between mate 10 pro, pixel 2 XL and the V30. The only thing making me consider a Samsung is the fact I have a tab s3 but that's a mediocre sway at best.

Associate
My issue is all phones next year are clearly moving to the 18:9 aspect ratio and so increasing in size. I don't like 18:9 and I don't want a bigger phone, so I'm a bit stuffed. Apple for once have made the right call.

See I prefer the 18:9. Gives you more vertical space, hence real estate. Although Apple don’t have on screen buttons so not such a big issue. Also 18:9 is better for viewing movies, as most are 21:9, so expanding to fill the screen you lose little information. Personally I don’t watch movies on a phone, but plenty do. I don’t like web browsing in landscape on any phone so it makes no difference there. It certainly wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

Associate
What are you looking to gain over one+ 3?

With the dash charge battery life isn't a problem for me and everything still works.

Better camera would be a benefit but I'm tempted to wait another generation and save up more cash.

Soldato
My issue is all phones next year are clearly moving to the 18:9 aspect ratio and so increasing in size. I don't like 18:9 and I don't want a bigger phone, so I'm a bit stuffed. Apple for once have made the right call.
Same for me. Will keep hold of my U11 for as long as it still breathes!! 18:9 may be ok for watching movies on your phone but seriously who actually does that?

Soldato
What about fragility of recent designs? Take a look at used Samsung S7 and S8 for sale and most seem to be cracked or worse, often claimed as being from a single fall. Glass back designs from some other manufacturers also seem prone to easy damage although in drop tests the S8 allegedly came out as being the easiest phone to smash from even a modest drop. Glass can be fragile - who knew?

Associate
What about fragility of recent designs? Take a look at used Samsung S7 and S8 for sale and most seem to be cracked or worse, often claimed as being from a single fall. Glass back designs from some other manufacturers also seem prone to easy damage although in drop tests the S8 allegedly came out as being the easiest phone to smash from even a modest drop. Glass can be fragile - who knew?

Problem is, its a necessity so you can have wireless charging. Other than that, I agree.

Soldato
OP
What are you looking to gain over one+ 3?

With the dash charge battery life isn't a problem for me and everything still works.

Better camera would be a benefit but I'm tempted to wait another generation and save up more cash.

Bluetooth on mine is really broken, but other than that it's still fine. Me and the Mrs had a little boy back in May and as expected it's been photo central the last few months hence why I'd like a good camera.

I've already got a decent DSLR but phones are always handy.

Back
Top Bottom