Tires for new year.

Soldato
Run an 03 sv650 had for many years.

Tried Dunlop qualifiers (good but v short life) pirelli diablo Rossi II's (as good grip, better life) but for the last few years I've been running Bridgestone BT-023's, which have pretty much as good grip and last a lot longer.

Although a smaller bike the v-twin puts a lot of torque through the back wheel so does get through rears (and chains lol but that's another subject), 2 sets of rear for one front on the current set.

My gripe with the bt-023's is how they wear, the rear squares off whilst the front almost does the opposite, my front has a ridge in the centre whilst worn down on the sides, making cornering a little weird as when you dip the bike it goes smoothly to a point, then drops down a few more degrees real fast before catching again, which is a little disconcerting.

I after suggestions as I fancy a change and trying something else. I ride in summer mostly commuting about 40 miles a day, I don't ride that hard, so sacrificing a little grip for touring style tires is fine, to get more life.

Really need a hard rear though, Bridgestone make a "gt" version rear but starts the next size up :(

I've even contemplated using a harder rear Vs a more sportier front as would be ideal to have a set that will wear evenly.

Soldato
You'll never get the front and rear to wear the same, unless you ride on the road like a track and use heavy braking into every corner.

The wear you see on the front, with the wear down the sides leaving effectively a squared off triangle is normal, as is the rear squaring off if you do any amount of miles in a straight line.

Go on mileage on each tyre, on a decent sport touring rear on an SV you'll probably get between 6-8000, and double that for a front. I got nearly 10k on an angel GT rear and 15k out the front on a CB400, and have just got 6500 out an M7RR rear on my VFR, should see 12k out the front.

Grip and wet weather performance is more important to me than a tyre that won't square off, there's no way I'd be getting a hard rear just to try and stop it squaring off, you can't. If you spend 70% of your time riding upright there's no way you can wear down the edges at the same rate, it's not physically possible...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Angel GT/ST I've used a couple of sets of the GTs on my SV get 10k out of the rear and 15-16k from a front.
Changed the rear to an ST when my last GT wore out, just as good in terms of performance don't know on wear yet saved about £50 over the GT.

Soldato
I might try those pirelli's - having a dual compound rear sounds appealing.
The BT-023 is already a dual (or possibly triple) compound on the rear.

However, it's an older tyre, things have moved since it was launched in 2010.

Try an Pirelli Angel GT, Metzler Roadtec 01, or M7RR for something a bit sportier.

Soldato
I'm a huge fan of the Roadtech 01s - I changed to those from Angel GTs as I changed bikes, and for the heaver bikes that I ride I think it is a superior tyre, especially in the wet. To be fair to the Pirelli though, I don't think the Metzler is quite as durable - the rear is starting to go off now and square a little after 6,000 miles - but I have given it a really hard time this year, carrying some serious weight over long distances.

Soldato
Silly question but I'm new to the whole biking scene. Can you just rock up to a normal car tyre changing place and get a bike tyre fitted?

If it’s a garage just for car tyres then I don’t think I’d get them to do my bike wheels unless you plan on taking the wheel off yourself.

Soldato
If you like Bridgestone then look at the T30. This is a sports/touring tyre and is used by the Ron Haslem race school for their CBR600RRs and Fireblades. Certainly no lack of grip on the track.

Soldato
OP
Just doing some more research into this, another one I overlooked is the Bridgestone T-30 evo which seems to be a direct upgrade on the BT-023 which appears now starting to get out dated but some of the newer tyres.

It's difficult trawling through the internet to get unbiased reviews, harder to get direct comparisons.

I did read one MCN review on the PR4's who said he had been using Angel GT's and whilst also thought those were superb tyres, was swayed by the PR4's.

There seems that be less on the T-30 EVO, but I did read some great things about those, with the only negative being they are a little pressure sensitive, something I can confirm is also true for the BT-023's I currently run.

Not that I am brand loyal, but I am tempted now to stick with Bridgestone and try out the T-30 EVO's.

Soldato
OP
I guess also another factor is price, according to Moto tyres for my tyre size as of today prices are (for a set):

T-30 EVO's £234.30
PR4's £209.60
Angel GT's £203.80

So the T-30 EVO'S are a bit of a jump over the other 2.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't go near bridgestones again. Had the 21 or possibly the 23 on my bike when I first got it a couple of years ago they were basically brand new when the bike turned up and they never inspired confidence and were noticeably squirmy on anything less than bone dry roads.

Soldato
OP
Seems Michelin have just realsed a new tyre for 2018 - Michelin Road 5 - still a bit pircey as they are brand new, £254 for a set to fit my bike, but I dont need them until about March so may be a bit cheaper then.

Pretty sure I will give these a go, Michelin claims after 3000 miles they perform the same as a brand new set of PR4's.

Back
Top Bottom