Negotiating at Contract Renewal?

Soldato
Hey there, first time I've ever done this for any service really so not sure what to ask for.

I have a BT contract that started 07th Feb 2017 for 12 months so is up for renewal on 07th Feb 2018.
Line Rental £18.99/month
Broadband + Calls £26/month
Minus £15/month discount
£29.99 month for Unlimited BT Infinity 1

I can see offers for new customers for the same again + £125 Reward Card except 18month contract which is fine by me.

So I suppose my real question is, should I count as a new customer and be eligible for the benefits/reward card again as above if I let the contract lapse on 7th Feb 2018? i.e. Is this what I should push for?

Thanks in advance.

TJM

TJM

Associate
You’ll be an existing customer so those particular deals aren’t available (the reward card is there to get you in the door).

The way to get the best deals is to switch provider every time your contract expires; you would then be a new customer when coming back to BT in 12/18 months. If you couldn’t be bothered with the disruption (I certainly couldn’t), call BT to ask for their best deal in return for taking out a new contract. They won’t price match another provider’s introductory offer but should be willing to offer a discount if you are prepared to cancel otherwise.

Associate
I think BT have a take it or leave it/poor renewal offer reputation. I'm looking at Zen with the 20% off when my (after cashback etc) £11.49 Fibre 1 with 80/20 speeds ends and I lose the £18.50 discount taking me to £47.49 per month.

Soldato
It’s generally like car insurance, only new customers get the best deals. Worth trying but expect to be stonewalled and get nowhere.

I have been with zen for many years now and currently on 80/20 fibre package. In my experience no performance issues and customer services are very helpful and able to help you. Recently switched from older 200GB limit product to unlimited for no additional cost.

Soldato
I've never had any real luck negotiating with BT. Last time was when Talk Talk offered me silly prices to move to them. Asked BT if they could match or at least get close, they couldn't. Then went through 10 minutes of the BT person telling me how silly I was for moving and using statements such as "you'll be back - they always are" etc, just made me more determined to leave them!
I'm happy to move. My Vodafone deal ends in June and unless I'm offered very similar prices then I'll see who is cheapest and move - you get a few hours of downtime at the most, but worth it for the savings.

Associate
My experience with negotiating has always ended with this --> every year just move to a different ISP and take advantage of the new customer deals with cashbacks through cash back sites and prepaid mastercards or other offers from ISP provider.

This year i made the stupid mistake of renewing with BT - at the end of ct they actually let me renew with my good valued discount, but i wouldnt get a voucher like a new customer would get. Shows how they treat customer loyalty.

Once contract is up, i am gone.

Soldato
I change ISP each year and enjoy the benefits of around £100 cashback and a new customer deal, always try to find 12 month contracts so I can change again sooner.

Back
Top Bottom