How was 2017 for you?

Man of Honour
We always seem to have these threads each year so New Year’s Eve seems a good time to start one!

How was 2017 for you?

For me, it was pretty good... although nothing of particular note, which makes for a bit of a boring OP! No ill health save for one recent family death (although he was 93, so sad but not tragic), progressing with work / career progression, happy at home... yup, certainly not a bad year.

Speaking of the year in general, if 2016 was the year in which every celebrity died, 2017 was the year that issues of equality were brought to the forefront of the usual media outlets. Generally a good thing, save for overzealous SJW antics, which (as recently discussed) are probably greatly exaggerated by the media to give people something to moan at.

Outlook for 2018 - more of the same. Would quite like to mix up life a bit, but who knows how!

Hopefully someone will be able to offer something more interesting than my mundane input :o

Caporegime
Gone by incredibly quickly but every year has seemed the same since being an adult (man-child).

Haven't progressed as well as I wanted to and will be looking to make some significant changes to my life in the next year to ensure it's not the same old same, already have some things in place so that's given me some enthusiasm. I've realised this year more than ever that motivation is largely nonsense and discipline is the driving force to obtaining near enough any goal.

Associate
2017 was like most years for me..

made the best of it, never sat hoping things would fall in my lap and worked as hard as i could without going way over the top.

i am still in half decent health lol and i love my family.

if 2018 brings more of the same i will be golden.

happy new year all.

Soldato
When I think about it, it's pretty good

Sister got married
Cousin got married
Got a big pay rise for working in the middle east a few weeks a year (never been before)
Bought a new car

Then the not so good, Granddad died

That's about it I think

Permabanned
Marvellous on the political front, Donald Trump elected and a year on he's moving well on some of his major policies. The UK saw a referendum to bring the UK out of the EU, despite attempts to subvert it things crawl along, meanwhile the EU falls apart at the seams making our exit probably superfluous. Right wing parties continue to grow in strength and popularity in Europe and the world in general showing the contempt for the liberal element s that were becoming overly pervasive in our lives. Excellent!!

On a personal level lost a few of our older dogs due mainly to old age. Such is the cycle of life, however sad to see old friends pass on. Had a lovely litter of pups left as a legacy from a dog that died of illness.

Soldato
Its been a good year.

Been abroad 5 times this year.
Completed my beginners German language course, start term 2 next month.
Passed three of the Microsoft Exams I was studying for.
Saved abit on remortgaging my house which I never thought I would. Well on the way to be mortgage free by the time I hit 40 years old.
Got my first grade in martial arts.

Its been a hard year but very rewarding :)

On that note. 2018 is going to be big for me due to personnel changes with career and trying to move from the UK. Will take me well out my comfort zone but it will be worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Moved out and bought a flat, changed jobs and saved myself from redundancy. Bought a 1070ti (upgrade from 670)so i can play the Witcher on max settings, also bought a 1440p gsync monitor to go with the card. Have really upped my fifa skills and now I am comfortable in Division 5 on fut as opposed to last year where I couldn't get passed Div 8. 2017 has been a decent year for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Started off well, kind of just fizzed out towards the end

Highlights include:

Celebrated two friends birthdays in Bali
My football team got promoted to the Premier League for the first time in 30 years
Good friend got married (still scarred from the events whilst on the stag do)

On the downside:

Work got a little on top of me - massive project underway at the moment, short staffed etc..
Didn't get anywhere near enough time off (ended up carrying three weeks leave entitlement over to next year)

That being said, friends & family are all still here.. (that's all that really matters)

For the first time in ages, I've set myself some objectives for the year ahead

Man of Honour
2017 has gone really quick - going into the start of 2017 I spent a lot of time redecorating and de-cluttering which put me in a much more positive place mentally - a lot of work and took some self-discipline to chuck out some stuff I'd been holding onto for far too long but along with other changes in a much better place for going forward.

Work wise the last 3 months I've been covering a much higher role in the company (not sure how things are going to go going forward) which has been challenging as I'm well outside of my comfort zone though also better paid (though not as much yet as promised) but has meant doing a lot of night shifts which also boosts my pay but I really don't do well with nights so that might put a time limit on it before I'm looking for another job but the experience and role on the CV won't go amiss there.

On the other hand a couple of people I've been close to passed away this year :( though not unexpectedly but sad none the less.

It has been a bit of a transitional year but all in all I feel like I'm in a good place going into 2018.

Man of Honour
Better than 2016 as we didn't have a death in the household this year.

Next year, more change and sorting the house out properly is going to be the priority.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Overall I think it was a good year. Got engaged in May and picked the date and venue (May 2019, Norfolk), moved into our own (rented) flat in Oxford in August and got a reasonable pay uplift at work around the same sort of time due to a job title change.

Unfortunately found out just before Christmas that I've lost my job, so I have until the end of March to find the next job but I'm optimistic I'll find something that I view as an upwards move as opposed to sideways or down, so that's good! :)

V F

V F

Soldato
2017 has gone really quick - going into the start of 2017 I spent a lot of time redecorating and de-cluttering which put me in a much more positive place mentally - a lot of work and took some self-discipline to chuck out some stuff I'd been holding onto for far too long but along with other changes in a much better place for going forward.

Work wise the last 3 months I've been covering a much higher role in the company (not sure how things are going to go going forward) which has been challenging as I'm well outside of my comfort zone though also better paid (though not as much yet as promised) but has meant doing a lot of night shifts which also boosts my pay but I really don't do well with nights so that might put a time limit on it before I'm looking for another job but the experience and role on the CV won't go amiss there.

On the other hand a couple of people I've been close to passed away this year :( though not unexpectedly but sad none the less.

It has been a bit of a transitional year but all in all I feel like I'm in a good place going into 2018.

2018 has an interesting number to it.

Soldato
Absolutely awful. Whilst a few good things happened, they were overshadowed by the worst thing that can happen to someone. 2017 can do one quite frankly.

I certainly hope 2018 is better, the few good things that happened this year hopefully have put us on a decent starting point.

Back
Top Bottom