Van speed camera

Soldato
OP
Just remember when they have the camera hidden like that it's all about safety:rolleyes:. I wish they spent the time and effort and catching actual poor drivers and especially ones that don't indicate, but that would involve actual work.

Yea I agree it's just an easy way to catch you/make money. There are so many things people do that are dangerous, not concentrate, don't leave breaking distance, have poor/bold tires, bad brakes, be pushy when driving etc, all much harder to prove but imo far more dangerous then doing 20mph over on a straight bit of dual carriageway.

I been driving over 10 years do a fair few miles a year also as I live in a rural area, I also have a motorcycle. I've never had an accident touch wood.

I do speed all the time but only when the conditions are right, so always tons on breaking distance, and never in built up areas where other cars/people are around.

I think the moral of the story is just never go to Wales.

Associate
i went through a camera van yesterday doing 77 speedo speed, so I'm guessing 74 true speed. people still say the 10% +2 is in effect, but apparently they changed the law to be anything over 1mph?. are they really gonna push that?. (this was on the A1 near Wetherby)

Soldato
A laser itself will go miles, but 3-400 yards is probably to far to get a proper reading. The beam on these things is very wide, so the further away the target is the more random stuff it's going to bounce off and fudge things up.

What you should do is angle your front plate and remove any rounded, or vertical surfaces at the front of the car. Also maybe radar absorbing paint ;)

300yds would be about right for a radar gun but a laser gun can and will ping you from a mile away. The beam on laser guns is very narrow, so it won't have any trouble at all bouncing off random stuff, nor will your radar absorbing paint do much to stop it.

Soldato
i went through a camera van yesterday doing 77 speedo speed, so I'm guessing 74 true speed. people still say the 10% +2 is in effect, but apparently they changed the law to be anything over 1mph?. are they really gonna push that?. (this was on the A1 near Wetherby)

The Law has never changed it has always been the limit. ACPO guidelines for prosecution were 10%+2 but that has pretty much gone out of the window now.

Associate

They changed the law on fines rather than speed limits earlier this year. In theory they could get you for doing 71mph according to all the charts (although I doubt it'd happen). At 74mph I'd guess that you'd be safe, but at this time of year you never know until 2 or 3 weeks has passed.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...8/new-uk-speeding-fines-law-changes-explained

Soldato
The Law has never changed it has always been the limit. ACPO guidelines for prosecution were 10%+2 but that has pretty much gone out of the window now.
I don't think the guidelines have been abandoned en masse, there was a lot of confusion though when they updated the sentencing guidelines which for obvious reasons need to start from the actual limit rather than a prosecution guideline. Those sentencing guidelines always had the same speed boundaries as far as I know but the public only really noticed because of the publicity surrounding the updated punishments.

Soldato
They tried to set speed cameras around here to catch people going 71 last year and the government told them to jog on. Because it would just be a money making scheme and make the police look bad.

Soldato
I don't think the guidelines have been abandoned en masse, there was a lot of confusion though when they updated the sentencing guidelines which for obvious reasons need to start from the actual limit rather than a prosecution guideline. Those sentencing guidelines always had the same speed boundaries as far as I know but the public only really noticed because of the publicity surrounding the updated punishments.

Indeed, some of them will only break acpo guidelines for average speed cameras on the basis that if you averaged 1mph over chances are you were going a fair bit faster before you slowed down, which may be rubbish imho.

Soldato
I don't think that's true. They still give leeway afaik.

I suspect they are focusing on average cameras on motorways etc now instead of fixed cameras in rural/suburban areas. Since they tend to get vandalized and wipe out any money they make from them :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've been caught by several mobile speed camera vans, hate the things, traps

Anyway

If you see them and you're speeding, you're screwed! By the time you've seen them it's too late

Ask Dave down te pub if he'll take the points for £200

Soldato
If your not paying enough attention to see a police van from any distance then you should get the fine if your speeding.

Best thing is to not speed on roads that are set up to position a speeding van.

Hell... Best not to speed at all....

Soldato
I was on my motorbike in lane 1 of the A23 somewhere near Horsham going round a slight right hand bend. Mercedes in lane 2 that was overtaking me at about 85mph suddenly slams on. Around the bend is a scamera van. I have no idea how he saw the van as I couldn't with a better perspective from lane 1. Radar detector?

Soldato
I was on my motorbike in lane 1 of the A23 somewhere near Horsham going round a slight right hand bend. Mercedes in lane 2 that was overtaking me at about 85mph suddenly slams on. Around the bend is a scamera van. I have no idea how he saw the van as I couldn't with a better perspective from lane 1. Radar detector?
More likely a sat nav warning, apps like Waze can be good for early notification of spotted cameras

Back
Top Bottom