Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Associate
My main PC has a gtx 1080ti , I use the moonlight streaming app to stream to my 1080p pc and monitor upstairs , But I have just upgraded to a 4k TV upstairs for gaming on, Moonlight has 4K 60hz for streaming...

So my question really is :- does the AMD 7950 / R9 280 output 4k At 60hz via HDMI ?

The TV I have just bought accepts 4K at 60hz for PC and Gaming inputs a Samsung UE40MU6400 , the newer model of the one that seems pretty popular on the OCUK forums as a monitor replacement.

Soldato
Pny2018

Cheapest for a new one is £319 which I've ordered

They sold about 20 of these in the first 20 mins, they then put the price up to £389 from £368

22222222222222222222222222.jpg

Soldato
They sold about 20 of these in the first 20 mins, they then put the price up to £389 from £368

22222222222222222222222222.jpg

Cheeky sods, that's where I bought mine from. I'm still happy though. I was spending ages looking at the LG ud68 and ud69 monitors before deciding on this.

I've got one in the bedroom and think it's brilliant, just hope it fits in my office as it's going on the wall.

Speakers, hdr, Bluetooth, Netflix and Amazon won me over really.

Now thinking about buying a PS4 pro from very lol

Associate
Ive got the 40ku6400 , been using it just for the pc for the last 6 or so months, think its great.

£294 for the new version though, my dad will love it.

I bought later in the day at £314 but I also went though topcashback for a further 3 % and got some nectar points thrown in for buying through eBay , so I guess I paid around £303 with all the various discounts.....not too bad , would rather of paid 294 before topcashback and nectar points .....but I shall not complain :)

Do you know if the TV comes with the Steam Streaming app ? I read a lot of the Samsung 4K TV's have the Steam game streaming app built in as a App ...

Soldato
hey guys, are there any other good deals going on the ue40mu6400 or have i missed the boat on this? Cheers

Buy it at £429 to get the 5 year warranty, and then claim a price match against it within 28 days.

Just make sure who you're claiming the price match against has some high street stores, or they won't honour it.

I got £60 back doing it that way. £369 for the TV in the end, which I'm more than happy with.

You can also keep an eye on PriceSpy as well.

Soldato
Finally got my ravpower usbc > hdmi 4k 60hz cable yesterday, plus my wallmount

Very pleased with this TV as a monitor

Windows DPI 175%

PC Mode
Picture Mode: Standard

Expert Settings

Backlight: 12
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 90
Sharpness: 50
Colour Tone: Warm1
Gamma: -1

HDMI UHD Colour: On
HDMI Black Level: Normal

Photos are rubbish as the white in the sky has lots of yellow in it which you can't see. TV is razor sharp and colours are great.

27y2tth.jpg

jq6liw.jpg

Associate
Finally got my ravpower usbc > hdmi 4k 60hz cable yesterday, plus my wallmount

Very pleased with this TV as a monitor

Windows DPI 175%

PC Mode

Expert Settings

Contrast: 90

Been scratching my head for a while as I had a problem with Google maps on this TV I use as a monitor, the grey urban areas were not visible they would appear white. Using the settings you have I switched the HDMI Black Level from Auto to Normal and bingo, the grey urban areas are now actually grey, so thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been scratching my head for a while as I had a problem with Google maps on this TV I use as a monitor, the grey urban areas were not visible they would appear white. Using the settings you have I switched the HDMI Black Level from Auto to Normal and bingo, the grey urban areas are now actually grey, so thanks.

Made some minor tweaks today

PC Mode

Expert Settings

Contrast: 37

White Balance 2 Point
Very top setting +4
Very bottom setting -2

Associate
Hi all

been reading this thread from the first page - been iffing and rrring about a 4k tv for ages just to use as a monitor, and GF bought me a Hisense 49n5700 for £419 last sunday for my 50th Birthday and it is absolutely fantastic - Id got in mind that I was going to have to buy whole new rig with Ryzen; gtx1080 etc in order to play 4k - my current specs are FX8300 @ 3.8 ghz with 8 gig ddr3 ram and an MSI 780 ti overclocked.

And you know what, this week iv tried Prey, FC4, Wolfenstein the old Blood, Crysis (with maximum immersion mod), Dishonored Death of The Outsider, and some other recent and older games - and with anti aliasing off, they all run (for me) adequately in 4k with a mixture of medium/high settings - so, really for now I feel iv got the bargain of the decade - will hold off on upgrading until at least next generation of cards - my mate came down the other night to view with fresh eyes, and he was amazed at 4K.

I don't know how the Hisense compares to the Samsung 6000 range (I'm assuming they will be better), but using a Hisense as the cheapest available range as a 4k baseline, all I can say is WOW!!!

Iv taken some pics but cannot see how to upload them

Last edited:
Associate
Hi! I'm thinking of buying a Samsung UE40MU6400 but wondering about the screen coating. Read a couple of post in this thread where some mention that it's makes color looks a bit grainy and whites shimmery, is this even visible on normal distance (70-90cm) away from the screen? Or only very close?

Would really appreciate answers :)

Soldato
No complaints here, but that's from someone who wears glasses usually & suffers from vaseline vision without them :)

It's a fairly reflective screen if your room is bright ( more noticeable during the daytime obviously ) but that helps the colours pop from what I've read.

Associate
No complaints here, but that's from someone who wears glasses usually & suffers from vaseline vision without them :)

It's a fairly reflective screen if your room is bright ( more noticeable during the daytime obviously ) but that helps the colours pop from what I've read.
Sounds good! I have pretty much perfect vision so i think I have to check out the TV irl before I decide to buy or not :)

Associate
Anyone using this TV as a monitor for their 2017 Apple MacBook Pro (13" touchbar)?

I'm getting one through work soon (the laptop), and need a monitor for when working from home, and this sounds ideal.

I've heard though that the MacBook will only drive the full 4K @ 60Hz when using a compatible adapter and HDMI 2.0 cable. I was wondering if anyone has any experience they could share?

Thanks,

Edward

Permabanned
I tried this and unless you have a huge desk it's not going to work, the TV needs to be around a meter or maybe a little more away from you.

No desks allow for that especially with the bulky stand the TV comes with.

Associate
Hi all, I got the 40" 6400 yesterday, and am pleased with it. I still need to set it up properly and do all the firmware updates etc.

Because it's on my desk, and the stand it comes with, the screen is a bit further forward than I'd like.

I've seen this: Fitueyes TV Stand Universal Table Top Flat Screen TV Base Fits 27 to 55 Inch Max VESA 400x400 TT104201GB available from the rainforest place. It's VESA 400 which fits the Samsung, but I'm wondering what screws I'll need to attach the new stand. Any ideas?

Thanks again, to the OP and everyone else for all the help with this screen.

Associate
I think I read before in this thread, but can't find it now, about people having an issue where when you turn the tv off then on again it doesn't keep the "PC" input settings.

Is anyone else having the same issue, and if not, did you do something to preserve the setting?

I'm using a laptop (MacBook Pro 13") so disconnecting and connecting the MiniDP->USB 2.0 connection all the time.

Thanks,

Edward

Back
Top Bottom