• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus STRIX 1080ti, one fan running 100% randomly.

Associate
Had the card since about Nov 22nd, worked fine then around 15th December it just started randomly making one fan out of the three (the closest to the back of the card with the ports on) run at 100% and it sounds like a goddam helicopter taking off.
Its definitely not the "zero DB mode" of the fans before anyone suggests that, the fans all turn on together for that when the temp gets up on the card and this is totally random

I can turn my pc on and leave it idle with nothing open except monitoring apps, card is sat at about 32c with 0% load and the one fan just turns on at 100%.
Every monitoring app ive tried also shows the GPU fan at 0% RPM when its happening too.

I've tried:
Uninstalling GPU tweak 2
Installing MSI afterburner.
Removing all other fan monitoring apps to check for conflicts.
Used DDU to totally remove all nvidia drivers, reinstalled the latest one.
It did occur to me last night maybe the problem was coming from me updating to latest drivers sometime in december so i installed the november drivers i had put on when i first got the card.

If anyones got any ideas that would be a massive help, trying not to go down the RMA route so i havent got to go without my pc gaming for a few weeks.

Associate
OP
All connections on the card to the RGB header/Fans seem to be fine, its not 100% of the time its just totally random.
Today for example i turned my pc on about midday, within a few mins it went 100% for about 5 mins, off for a min, back on for a min, now its been fine for an hour. So weird and annoying

Soldato
I have a similar issue with a Palit GTX 1080 which leaves one fan running randomly when it's not supposed to, not at 100% though, thankfully.

The only things I can suggest are running a custom fan profile so that the fans are running all the time and zero db mode is disabled (I know you said zero db mode works properly, I just want to see whether the issue only occurs if the fans aren't spinning). See whether it does it then.

Other than that, RMA. I haven't because as I said when it happens to me the fan is at low rpm so I can live with it.

Associate
OP
It’s pretty much unusable today, just got home from work and straight away it’s on at 100%.
It even stays at 100% through a retart lol.
Running out of things to try, it’s going to have to be an RMA i think.

Associate
OP
Fed up now, so going to return it and swap for a different brand.
My old 970 was an MSI one so looking at the MSI 1080ti Trio one.
This has really put me off Asus now.

Associate
I got 1080ti ftw3 and its loud af..(running 73-76c fan 60%), I only went with EVGA coz of their warranty. I can live with noise but I like to try ASUS strix as I have heard they stay cool and quiet.

Associate
OP
I have the EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (Hybrid) and it’s an awesome piece of kit. The FTW3 has a switch on it as well to allow you to switch to a second BIOS.

Thats what my best friend went for and i went for the Strix OC, obviously wrong choice for me haha.
Shame OCUK stock levels on most of the hybrid 1080tis are non existant, i would love to order from OCUK now every single time now after this fiasco.

Soldato
Definetly a fault. The Strix doesn't even have independent control of each fan AFAIK - they're all supposed to spin (or not spin) at the same speed.

The FTW3 is a very nice card and EVGA customer service is worlds better than Asus.

Associate
OP
How is the volume on the ftw3?
I really want the hybrid just can’t find decent stock levels anywhere.
Tempted just to go for another strix 1080ti OC because I really want to order from OCUK, but the main thing that worries me is the fault is coming from some kind of compatibility problem and not just a dodgy card.
Anyone think there’s any chance of this?

Associate
OP
Gone for another Strix 1080ti OC from ocuk, fingers crossed.
Won’t ever be ordering a single pc product from anywhere else from now on.

Back
Top Bottom