Odd one: where to put PC?

Soldato
Don't worry; I haven't sat and created this entire SketchUp drawing solely for this thread :D I made it to design the desk extension to mount the joystick to. I've added stuff to it to show as close as possible my current desk layout.

Image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jhhV3wupgs2i4He73

I have all the components where they are, apart from the NZXT cases; currently, I have the HAF X mounted as per the drawing. Now, I've just bough a new rig which should arrive tomorrow, and the case is the NZXT S340E black. I don't want to mount it on the floor; the PC gets too much dust and I want to see all the tarty, FPS boosting RGB goodness inside. Now, it will fit on the desk next to the screen, but it will be tight. I was hoping to get a TV stand of sorts to sit it at desk height but to the side, like the greyed out case in the image.

First question: If it were you, would the PC on the desk as illustrated be too cramped?

Second: Can anyone recommend a solution to mounting it next to the desk instead? Would a wall shelf bolted to the side of the desk, sort of like a desktop extension, be strong enough to hold the weight of the PC?

Soldato
OP
Could you just raise the case up slightly so its off the floor and level with the desk.

That's the plan. Any ideas on how to do it? Finding a cabinet the right height and slim enough to fit is proving difficult. Would a shelf bolted to the desk support the weight?

Associate
the shelf idea should work, just use some strong 90degree brackets and maybe add a table leg for extra support

i had the same issue with the case looking a bit cramped on my desk so what i did was get some strong plastic 3 tier rack shelving, the case sits on top and underneath is storage so works well for me

Associate
What's the desk made from?

You may get away with bolting the brackets if you can put some nice big washers in to spread the load. However, I'd be inclined to either add a leg as Tupro suggested, or possibly an extra bracket screwed to the wall if there's one behind the desk.
The last thing you want happening is your PC ending up on the floor because the desk or brackets can't take the weight.

Soldato
OP
What's the desk made from?

You may get away with bolting the brackets if you can put some nice big washers in to spread the load. However, I'd be inclined to either add a leg as Tupro suggested, or possibly an extra bracket screwed to the wall if there's one behind the desk.
The last thing you want happening is your PC ending up on the floor because the desk or brackets can't take the weight.

Thanks, guys. Yeah that's the concern. The desk is very sturdy, and has no wobble/move in it, largely due to the addon I build to house the force sensing HOTAS. I'd prefer the standalone shelf unit which I'd still probably screw to the desk for support. Tupro, would you mind sharing a picture please?

Associate
unable to take a picture atm and due to forums rules i can link you to anything or get a picture from google..
all you need to do is search google for "plastic 3 tier rack shelving" and go from there

mine is between the desk and a wall so no chance of it tipping over,
although if its something you want to screw to the side of the desk im not sure it would be suitable, you may want to look for something wooden

Soldato
OP
ah yes the Alex units, lots of people make desks from 2 of them and a worktop

have you look in the Desk & room thread? might get some ideas there before you make the purchase

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/desk-and-room-gallery.18571707/page-101

Yeah I've flicked through that before, but my problem is that this house is tiny and I can't change the desk for a few reasons. When it comes to moving or whatever, I'll get a bigger desk, but for now I have to stick with making do. It's a shame those ALEX units are so wide. It'd be much easier if it were <30cm wide, and about 5cm taller.

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom