Windows installer in Windows 10 not working

Associate
Hi

The windows installer in my lovely Overclockers PC has decided to stop working, I have tried everything suggested by Microsoft in their thread here, to no avail.

Before I give up and follow the final suggestion from Peter Bali of performing a clean install of Windows. has anyone else experienced this and resolved it in any other way?

Thanks
Mark

Associate
Rather than a clean install it might be worth trying an in place upgrade; i.e. installing windows 10 as an "upgrade" into your current installation. This can often fix a range of problems without the pain of a full clean install. If that doesn't work, then fall back to the clean install.

Associate
OP
Thanks zola25

Sadly, the in-place upgrade didn't fix it either. All I can think of now is rollback to a restore point if I still have one, or fresh install of Windows 10.

I'll ask support if they have any ideas before proceeding.

Associate
That's a shame. I'd be inclined to agree with your approach i.e. 1) Rollback to an earlier restore, 2) check with MS Support, although that's a mixed bag. 3) Reinstall.

Do you have a system image from prior to the issue? Macrium is worth it's weight in gold in these situations, I can restore back to any day in the past 6 months very quickly.

Associate
OP
Looks like Macrium something I need to look at buying. This is to be fair the first issue I've had, across 2 Desktops and 2 Laptops, with Windows 10 since it first came out - it would be on my newest PC wouldn't it?

Associate
To be fair most of the problems I've had have been hardware related other than in the early days of Windows 10.

... and yep, that seems to be the way these things go :(

I hope MS support can provide a quicker fix.

Associate
OP

Well, I have some good news - I ended up doing a fresh install and update of Windows 10 - which so far appears to have fixed the Windows installer issue.

Unfortunately, now my "CBS.log" file grows to 126Gb and it appears it only stops growing because it runs out of disk space on my "C" drive. Still working on the solution for that one, originally it appeared to be a Corrupt Windows Update that it kept trying to install, but Windows now says I'm totally up to date.

I've run SFC /Scannow a few times, but it's not found anything

On the bright side, this is my 3rd computer to have Windows 10, and the first to have any issues.

Back
Top Bottom