• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can't boot after new GPU!

Associate
Hi Guys! Happy new year!

I wondered if I could get your help, I installed a new GPU after using onboard graphics, and since, if the HDMI is plugged into the card, the PC wont boot- it just beeps to indicate a video fault.

I've installed the drivers etc for the new card, disabled the onboard graphics in device manager, and checked BIOS settings (legacy HW enabled and set PEG) but still having issues.

If I boot the PC up and change the HDMI to the card it works fine. The issue is just booting!

Can anyone here help?

Many thanks

Chris

EDIT:

Prolly worth adding specs!

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD A8-5500
Trinity 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-12-28)
Motherboard
MEDION MS-7800 (P0)
Graphics
C24F390 (1920x1080@64Hz)
ATI AMD Radeon HD 7560D (MSI)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
CrossFire Disabled
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-216BB SATA CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Last edited:
Soldato
The slot seems to be working fine after booting. It's probably just Windows 10 just having a fit on start up. Can't initialize advertising.

Associate
Yea but computers do unexplained things sometimes. If you have another slot i would at least have a go in the other one to see if it posts.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies!

Is the on board graphics turned off in the BIOS?
No option that I could find specifically, only setting PEG/IGD (obviously I've set PEG)

Have you got another PCI express slot on the motherboard you can try?
Only one PCI :(
Updated motherboard bios?
Well I've tried, I used the link AthlonXP1800 provided before I'd posted here. It ran a cmd box and appeared to work however after booting to BIOS the version date appeared to remain the same :/ Maybe I did it wrong!

Here is the msinfo:

msinfo_zpscn25rtfo.jpg

As you can see Device Encryption Support is showing a fail. Could this be the problem?

Check if you have legacy/UEFI boot enabled, different cards like different settings

Will check this!

Thanks again for the help guys! I really appreciate it!

Soldato
Thanks for the replies!

No option that I could find specifically, only setting PEG/IGD (obviously I've set PEG)

Only one PCI :(

Well I've tried, I used the link AthlonXP1800 provided before I'd posted here. It ran a cmd box and appeared to work however after booting to BIOS the version date appeared to remain the same :/ Maybe I did it wrong!

Here is the msinfo:

msinfo_zpscn25rtfo.jpg

As you can see Device Encryption Support is showing a fail. Could this be the problem?

Will check this!

Thanks again for the help guys! I really appreciate it!

I cant clicked the picture to zoom in to see full picture, checked post source and managed found the direct link. Arrgghh cant believed photobucket is much worse now with so many popups with sponsored adverts, sponsored links and videos, I had to closed all popups to see your picture but I still cant zoom in with direct link. I cant recommend use photobucket to upload images and videos so I recommend you upload to imgur.com instead and imgur do not use popups.

Look like you will need to run bio7800w8 as administrator and it should run properly to flash your BIOS to latest version 2.09.

You say motherboard has 1 PCI slot??? :confused:

I found a picture of MEDION MS-7800 motherboard, it has 1 PCI Express x16 slot and 2 PCI Express x1 slots so it do not have a PCI slot. MSI supplied MSI MS-7800 OEM motherboards to MEDION.

iL9KL6z.jpg

Associate
I cant clicked the picture to zoom in to see full picture, checked post source and managed found the direct link. Arrgghh cant believed photobucket is much worse now with so many popups with sponsored adverts, sponsored links and videos, I had to closed all popups to see your picture but I still cant zoom in with direct link. I cant recommend use photobucket to upload images and videos so I recommend you upload to imgur.com instead and imgur do not use popups.

Look like you will need to run bio7800w8 as administrator and it should run properly to flash your BIOS to latest version 2.09.

You say motherboard has 1 PCI slot??? :confused:

I found a picture of MEDION MS-7800 motherboard, it has 1 PCI Express x16 slot and 2 PCI Express x1 slots so it do not have a PCI slot. MSI supplied MSI MS-7800 OEM motherboards to MEDION.

iL9KL6z.jpg

He means one PCI-E slot as I suggested he try another slot if he had it available.

Associate
OP
OP says the card works if the HDMI is plugged in after booting. That would be a very weird root cause if true, as you would expect the pc to crash when a game is loaded as well.

Agreed. Games run smooth after card installed (especially compared to onboard graphics!) so wouldn't have thought power was the issue..

Have you plugged the power cables in for the GPU
No extra power cables on this card bud! Or not that I can see anyway!

AthlonXP1800, I'll try running as administrator. I do get a uac pop-up when running the flash. I might try opening it through cmd with admin privileges..

Thanks again for the help guys!

Soldato
I'd try and get hold of a manual for the motherboard and see if you have the option to disable the APU as the primary video out. If the BIOS has no option to disable the APU's graphics you might have a dip switch or jumper to set on the board itself.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd try and get hold of a manual for the motherboard and see if you have the option to disable the APU as the primary video out. If the BIOS has no option to disable the APU's graphics you might have a dip switch or jumper to set on the board itself.

Couldnt find a manual, but had a look at the MOBO and couldnt see a jumper or switch of any description that looked relevant. The only jumper I could see was the BIOS reset and one for LPC debug. I'll keep hunting though.

I did power the PC up with the side panel off, and the fan on the GPU started spinning so it seems it is getting power on boot. Whether it's actually enough is a different story!

Soldato

Couldnt find a manual, but had a look at the MOBO and couldnt see a jumper or switch of any description that looked relevant. The only jumper I could see was the BIOS reset and one for LPC debug. I'll keep hunting though.

I did power the PC up with the side panel off, and the fan on the GPU started spinning so it seems it is getting power on boot. Whether it's actually enough is a different story!

I spend hours searched for manual for MS-7800 motherbaoard but it seemed did not existed, found Medion PC manuals did not contained UEFI guide all BIOS settings so I had an idea about a tool to read all settings inside UEFI file dump and found voltground thread.

http://voltground.com/haven/threads/102/

I downloaded and ran AMIBCP v4.53, opened M7800W08.209 file and looked through tons of settings found you can disabled Integrated Graphics in Main tab.

riDUdwJ.jpg

Soldato
I spend hours searched for manual for MS-7800 motherbaoard but it seemed did not existed, found Medion PC manuals did not contained UEFI guide all BIOS settings so I had an idea about a tool to read all settings inside UEFI file dump and found voltground thread.

http://voltground.com/haven/threads/102/

I downloaded and ran AMIBCP v4.53, opened M7800W08.209 file and looked through tons of settings found you can disabled Integrated Graphics in Main tab.

riDUdwJ.jpg

Nice detective work TBH. Bar revision changes he should have the option.

Back
Top Bottom