KTM 790 Duke

Soldato
The way I look at ABS is as a back up just in case you cockup. Same for traction control if the system steps in you messed up.
It's exactly that. Just like TCS on a car, 99% of the time the car will never use it. Same on a bike, 99% of the time you will not be using it unless you **** up or are doing a track day.

Man of Honour
Ehehe you're probably right, it's probably mostly been down to the bleeding that I've ever felt a difference :) On the clutch of the K the fluid change/bleed made a huge diff.
That's almost certainly the reason most people think braided lines make a massive difference.
It's not the lines it's the fact they've actually changed the fluid and bled their brakes for the first time in god knows how long. I normally end up changing my fluid at least twice a year and the brakes always feel much sharper afterwards, it's then so gradual in fading off that you never notice and just accept it as normal.

Man of Honour
Because I regretted getting the non-R Street Triple (mostly because of the suspension) and if I bought the non-R then I'd want the R when it's released. I know it's weird but I never claimed to be normal.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2018/january/2018-hottest-motorcycles/
We like to produce R versions of our bikes and would like to do the same with the 790, but it is a bigger job than we thought because the engine is very efficient and very good as it is. To get more power it will need some more investment.

It probably won't happen until 2019 based on them mentioning needing further development.

Soldato
Because I regretted getting the non-R Street Triple (mostly because of the suspension) and if I bought the non-R then I'd want the R when it's released. I know it's weird but I never claimed to be normal.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2018/january/2018-hottest-motorcycles/

It probably won't happen until 2019 based on them mentioning needing further development.

I'm still going for a test ride. I said previously I bet there'd be an R version. I'm not that bothered, i've never had adjustable suspension, except pre-load :p

Soldato
It's exactly that. Just like TCS on a car, 99% of the time the car will never use it. Same on a bike, 99% of the time you will not be using it unless you **** up or are doing a track day.

I'd tend to slightly disagree with that. The amount of power available on modern bikes means the rider aids kick in far more frequently. It's not to say modern bikes are unrideable without them but, for example, they will lift the front wheel rather easily where perhaps the rider might want to avoid that with the use of aids.

If I'm riding my 1290 with some spirit the anti wheelie is frequently illuminated. That's not to say I'm messing up, I'm just leveraging the computer aids to keep the front wheel down.

That being said, if you are frequently activating ABS and traction control you probably need to reassess your riding style.

Soldato
I had my anti-wheelie control engage a few times on my Euro trip this year, carrying a lot of luggage weight. I found it an odd feeling at first but it is quite fun once you get confidence in it. I find the traction control engaged far more often but don't worry about that too much - normally just being a little over-exuberant out of 1st gear corners.

I confess to driving my car in a far less spirited fashion - it is mainly for commuting anyway - but I can only remember the traction control engaging a couple of times. Never seen the wheelie control activate yet... ;)

Man of Honour
First video review:

Seems lovely, but for the price it can't compare to a used MT-10.

I will keep an eye on it when they make an R model.

Soldato
Looks okay. Doesn't produce as much power as I thought it would; lots of torque though.

Butt ugly bike. I'd have the Street RS any day of the week.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
That review seems a bit biased, no wheelies or kicking the rear out supermoto style... I thought this was suppose to be a hooligan bike and he's suppose to be a pro? :p

Back
Top Bottom