opinions on Super Duke R vs Tuono v4 1100?

Soldato
Thanks for the replies everyone. Really backs up the idea I had, that the SDR works better as a do-it-all bike (though would want a screen for motorways) and the aprilia is more of a comfortable sportsbike. Will have to try them both and see what fits best I guess.

Why'd you say the ape's for posing at a cafe? Do you mean it's a good-looking bike, or because it's a bit impractical?
Aprilias are a bit more 'attention seeking' than a 1290, the KTM is a bit more subtle than the in your face Aprilia. Although that does mean you regularly get random blokes coming up to you to talk about the bike... :D:p

Mine is more up the 'attention seeking' scale than even a V4 factory though, if you're shy it'll cure that pretty quickly!!

Soldato
OP
SDR is certainly marmite but I love it!

PSX_20180103_170439.jpg

1290_euro_trip_3.jpg
1290_euro_trip_0.jpg
Nice! Have the Austin racing GP2R on my street triple and even with the muffler pipe in the end-can it's still a bit obnoxious... imagine that's quite loud with a 1300cc v-twin!

Soldato
OP
Quite right, in general it's better to take it spread over chest than just your face.

...wait..

Haha. :) The screen on my bike made a massive difference at NSL speeds - directed the airflow to the top of my shoulders rather than pushing me back. Think the SDR (especially the new one with the funny headlights) would look a bit odd with a screen.

Associate
I ran the GP2R on mine minus the cat. Was obnoxious without the baffle, cars moved over pretty quickly when filtering though!

Soldato
OP
Update!

So, I test rode the 2018 KTM Super Duke 1290R, Yamaha MT10 SP and Aprilia Tuono RF 1100 over the last few days...

Currently ride an extensively modified 2013 Street triple R. I'm about 6'2.5", 100kg.

The SDR 1290R felt nimble, very narrow (actually a bit too narrow between my legs), lots and lots of pull, quickshifter and blipper gave a noticeable jolt/kick. Felt surprisingly low and agile(all thes reviews say it's a tall supermoto-style riding position, which I didn't think it was). Lots of vibrations aroung 25-30mph in 2nd-3rd. Test bike had the akra slip-on, didn't sound great - sounds like a waste of money. Handles low speeds fine other than the vibes.

MT10 SP I tested because it was at the same place, wasn't considering it really... The front of the bike is quite high up. The brakes are crap - they stop well but felt wooden until really pulled in then they stopped well - would want to upgrade if I bought it, which looks to be a lot of hassle... The engine is funny - well behaved and smooth at low rpm, felt almost a bit fluffy/delayed input at low speeds, then the midrage is psychotic and surges you forwards and wants to pull your arms off and lots and lots of fun. :) I tested in town and on A-roads - it accelerates plenty fast for road-use and seemed the way the engine is tuned works well on the street. It can have hard luggage quite easily. It's quick to change the electronic Ohlins from different settings 1-3 . I can't help but feel though that it is a budget litrebike with upgraded paint, TFT display and ohlins for £14.4k otr, whilst still having the downgraded engine internals compared to the R1 and rubbish brakes and budget parts-bin tail-end/lights form the MT09. The pegs are also too low for sporty riding so would need a rearset.

I was expecting the Tuono to be badly behaved at 25-30mph from the reviews/videos I'd seen, but it really was, whilst not 100% happy, fine for town-riding. The engine is brilliant - it felt like it is always ready to spool up really quickly and had loads of power, like a hyperactive characterful turbine that sounded great with the stock can, always ready to go. Same brembo M50 brakes as the SDR and again, brilliant.
The tank is shaped nicely and my legs locked into it nicely. Pegs are sporty position but seemed fine.
Quickshifter and blipper is smoother than the SDR, which I prefer.
The main thing I noticed was the handling was night and day more sporty; it tips into corners beautifully.

TL:DR - looking to buy a Tuono 1100RF. Dealer has offered a grand off the RRP, so £14,999. Will see if I can find a 2017 second-hand probably, as would be tempted by a full austin racing system and maybe carbon wheels! :)

Back
Top Bottom