• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Soldato
Interesting, I didn't know you could basically force Windows to side-load CPU microcode updates. I plan to try this tonight and see if the results from Get-SpeculationControlSettings change at all, that is assuming there are any microcode updates for Westmere-EP in the first place!
I ran it with the latest Intel microcode files and got this message in Event Viewer:

An update for this CPU was not found. No update has been attempted.

So basically there is no chance of any new microcode updates for X58 CPUs even for this serious flaw, considering there haven't been any since at least 2012.

Associate
I installed the patch last night, on my system in sig. I have noticed A hit in performance of Forza Horizon 3. Have not changed graphics or settings at all. Forza Motorsport 7 however is still running sweet!

Not sure if it was the patch or something else! Everything else seems fine.

Associate
I've downloaded the update and i've noticed a fair performance hit on my 2600k 4.5ghz and 7970 Ghz. Performance is a good 10% lower in Just Cause 3, from about 70fps average to low 60's, with frequent drops below 60 which weren't there before. Not too happy :(

Soldato
My reg key is set to 0x00000000 (0) probably kaspersky set it but i'm not getting the Windows patch show up in WU.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat\cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc

Associate
Surely any BIOS update is simply going to be a "workaround" to cope with a CPU vulnerability (on which the microcode can't be changed) and this will have a performance hit (perhaps minor) over and above the OS fix?

I have recently build a number of systems based on either the i7 7700 CPU (released Q1 2017) or the i5 7600K CPU (released Q1 2017); I take it that they should NOT need a BIOS update?

As an aside - I wonder how Intel CPU sales are holding up at the minute?

A quick look at Amazon.com best selling cpu's and Intel have two celerons in the top five. Does that say anything?

Soldato
so a couple of fps, but aside from this are there any benefits ? which outweigh the points i made?

This could descend into a what have the Romans ever done for us style exchange...

But I'll give you a second point.... AMD chips routinely have far lower overclocking headroom then their intel contemporaries...

I have both an Octo cored intel chip (as per sig) and a 1800x and had plenty of K6, 7 and 8's back in the day.. So don't have a that much of reason to be too biased..

If you have mm access a quick look will show a fair few people are ditching their ryzen setups...

Back on topic have patched all of my pc's have noticed a bit or a whack on my main server (xeon 1650v3) running virtual machines but that's about it

Last edited:
Soldato
My reg key is set to 0x00000000 (0) probably kaspersky set it but i'm not getting the Windows patch show up in WU.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat\cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc

Yeah, me too, a lot of people complaining about it on the Kaspersky Forums. Maybe they have it targeted for the original release date of the 9th and something will be changed so Kaspersky becomes compatible (though they have a knowledge base entry on their support site saying it already is).

Soldato
This could descend into a what have the Romans ever done for us style exchange...

But I'll give you a second point.... AMD chips routinely have far lower overclocking headroom then their intel contemporaries...

I have both an Octo cored intel chip (as per sig) and a 1800x and had plenty of K6, 7 and 8's back in the day.. So don't have a that much of reason to be too biased..

If you have mm access a quick look will show a fair few people are ditching their ryzen setups...

Back on topic have patched all of my pic's have noticed a bit or a whack on my main server (xeon 1650v3) running virtual machines but that's about it

appreciate that but aside from gaming intel gets out performed at every price point/ power draw, ryzen/threadripper would be a go to for editors/high end esp since this update can potentially impact high end users ( non gamers) dramatically

Caporegime
I ran it with the latest Intel microcode files and got this message in Event Viewer:

An update for this CPU was not found. No update has been attempted.

So basically there is no chance of any new microcode updates for X58 CPUs even for this serious flaw, considering there haven't been any since at least 2012.

Yup, Intel is playing the "these cpus are working as intended" card and only offering support for modern/current cpus, so everyone else me included is boned for it. They obviously also realise that a lot of xeons and older systems in any kind of situation where security is required will help push people to upgrade. Some of them will chose AMD over this but not many because ultimately AMD only has so much production capacity.

Imagine selling millions, well billions worth of server chips and deciding the massive flaw in your chips is part of the design and those companies need to just upgrade to get secure when you could release bios updates and microcode but you decide to screw them over. If AMD knew this was coming I'd almost have wished they ported Zen to TSMC so they could increase capacity significantly as they can probably sell 2-3 times what they can produce just at glofo right now.

Soldato
Yup, Intel is playing the "these cpus are working as intended" card and only offering support for modern/current cpus, so everyone else me included is boned for it. They obviously also realise that a lot of xeons and older systems in any kind of situation where security is required will help push people to upgrade. Some of them will chose AMD over this but not many because ultimately AMD only has so much production capacity.

Imagine selling millions, well billions worth of server chips and deciding the massive flaw in your chips is part of the design and those companies need to just upgrade to get secure when you could release bios updates and microcode but you decide to screw them over. If AMD knew this was coming I'd almost have wished they ported Zen to TSMC so they could increase capacity significantly as they can probably sell 2-3 times what they can produce just at glofo right now.

I would not be surprised if intel actually do well out of this once its all blown over. Many people will want to upgrade and we know how strong brand loyalty can be, the VW emission gate comes to mind.

Caporegime
There are 2 separate vulnerabilities (Meltdown and Spectre), however there are 2 different exploits discovered against Spectre so far.

Meltdown: affects Intel CPUs and one Arm core – the yet-to-ship Cortex-A75 - this can be mitigated via OS updates (of which MS have released updates, and Linux updates are available)
Spectre variant 2: affects Intel and Arm cores. OS Kernels and hypervisors (i.e. VMs) need patching. Skylake (and later) CPUs need a microcode update (so potentially a BIOS update) to help mitigate this.
Spectre variant 1: affects both Intel and AMD CPUs, and certain ARM cores. It is difficult to exploit as relies on timing based attacks, but some measures are being taking by Software developers (e.g. Browsers already have a patch to make timers less accurate)

Paraphrased somewhat from:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/05/spectre_flaws_explained/

Edit:
Misread Skylake microcode clause

Im before skylake (on Haswell-E), so will i still need a BIOS update too ?

Its all very confusing at the mo.

Caporegime
I installed the patch last night, on my system in sig. I have noticed A hit in performance of Forza Horizon 3. Have not changed graphics or settings at all. Forza Motorsport 7 however is still running sweet!

Not sure if it was the patch or something else! Everything else seems fine.

Are we sure that on Windows, the fix that slows things down is disabled for Ryzen?

Back
Top Bottom