• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 1080Ti worth it over the 1080 @ 1440p/60Hz for additional £250?

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

As per title, is the GTX 1080Ti worth it over the GTX 1080 for a 27" monitor @ 1440p/60Hz considering there is a £250 price difference?

Trying to balance a new build spec and not sure if I should pay the extra for the GPU? My last GPU was the GTX 680 so I'm a little out of touch :D

TIA :)

Associate
The 1080 should do 1440p at 60fps on max settings in just about everything.

That being said, I'd still want a 1080Ti if money isn't a concern because I'm greedy. But it's now late in the Pascal life cycle, and Volta might get a consumer release this year if we're lucky. I'm going to try to hold out for another year with my 1080s to see what develops. Preferably I want to get the next Ti iteration.

Soldato
I ended up going from a 1080 to a 1080Ti as in games that play, the 1080 couldn’t achieve ultra @144 on my Gsync monitor.

I wasn’t expecting to notice a huge difference but I did. The Ti just has more horsepower and it shows.

Soldato
get a 1070 tbh or the 1070ti

give it 6 months then get a 1170ti

now is the time to be staying away from the 1080 and upwards
dude the 1070ti just came and and ur saying its going to be EOL in another 6 months? Yea the 1080 etc came out in 2016 but the 1070ti came out end of 2017. If that's any indication it's we wont be seeing new stuff for a while. 6 months and id expect the new titan to be announced and be upon release.

Soldato
Hi guys,

As per title, is the GTX 1080Ti worth it over the GTX 1080 for a 27" monitor @ 1440p/60Hz considering there is a £250 price difference?

Trying to balance a new build spec and not sure if I should pay the extra for the GPU? My last GPU was the GTX 680 so I'm a little out of touch :D

TIA :)
1440p 60hz - no issue

1440p 100hz+ you might need some extra horsepower to fit the refresh rates max

this is from a person who went 980 SLI -> 1080 > 1080TI

Caporegime
dude the 1070ti just came and and ur saying its going to be EOL in another 6 months? Yea the 1080 etc came out in 2016 but the 1070ti came out end of 2017. If that's any indication it's we wont be seeing new stuff for a while. 6 months and id expect the new titan to be announced and be upon release.

let me ask you this.

why was the 1070ti even released? it was to steal the little share of the market amd had a foothold in. therefore you cannot base anything on the release of that card. to do so would be stupid.

base it on the release of the original intended line up. forget the 1070ti even exists. it was a stop gap product to do over their biggest competitor. they way you are looking at it is completely wrong.

Permabanned
Like Psycho Sonny I think buying the high end so late in Pascal's life cycle is something you might regret in a few months time. A 6gb 1060 will be fine, I just spent a month or two running a 3440x1440 monitor with a 6gb 1060 and you can game on it okay. When you only buy a gpu every leap year you want to do so at the right time and that's not now..

Soldato
Ive said it number of times and keep saying it. Your daft if you think nvidia are going to go out of their way to replace pascal any time soon. Expect something along the line of rehashed cards. Most likley what Ampere is and i wont expect to see this till 2h of 2k18 and that starts with the titan. 1070ti will have a good year yet before it's replaced.

Soldato
With Titan V already out Nvidia could well drop Volta xx80 consumer mid range very soon. It's a bad time now to buy a 1080ti. Agree with others, if you must go 1060

Permabanned
Ive said it number of times and keep saying it. Your daft if you think nvidia are going to go out of their way to replace pascal any time soon. Expect something along the line of rehashed cards. Most likley what Ampere is and i wont expect to see this till 2h of 2k18 and that starts with the titan. 1070ti will have a good year yet before it's replaced.

So we can't voice an opinion that's different to your's? The most recent releases were the 1070ti & the Titan V (which of course isn't a gaming card even though it has full game ready driver support) before that it was the Titan XP, 1080ti and the original Pascal Titan along with the baby 50 cards somewhere around there,
I wouldn't rule out a Maxwell or Pascal type release order where we got the 980, 970, 1070 & 1080 equivalents before their respective Titans but of course we're daft for thinking that as they've only done it with the last two architectures..

EDIT: The 1070ti was a response to the Vega 56 initially, Pascal has been the gpu of choice for well over a year and it'll soon stop selling due to saturation so Nvidia will release a new range regardless of whether there's competition.

Soldato

Quoted for GTC

Man of Honour
With Titan V already out Nvidia could well drop Volta xx80 consumer mid range very soon. It's a bad time now to buy a 1080ti. Agree with others, if you must go 1060

The Titan V is as big as Volta gets chip wise.

It is about 35% more powerful than the top Pascal GP102 chips.

What this means is a mid range Volta GPU would struggle to beat a GTX 1080 Ti.

I don't think NVidia's next round of GPUs are going to use Volta even if it was optimised for gaming.

Soldato
Each to their own but I really don't get this buy a cheaper slower card that you dont really want as a stop gap then sell it and buy a card in 6 months time. Just buy the card you need now and enjoy it and then upgrade when you need to.

All this card swapping means loosing money on selling a card that's not really up to the task and putting up with sub par performance in the mean time. Plus the hassle.

If a gpu release was confirmed to be in a months time then fair enough just wait it out. Otherwise I would just buy the gpu that I needed.

Soldato
The Titan V is as big as Volta gets chip wise.

It is about 35% more powerful than the top Pascal GP102 chips.

What this means is a mid range Volta GPU would struggle to beat a GTX 1080 Ti.

I suspect if we did see consumer Volta it wouldn't have the the compute/tensor flow capability. That would be given over to single precision FP performance. IF we see it :)

Back
Top Bottom