******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Associate
@Haggisman
Tbf a SSD is they way to go, way to much streaming in/out with this game.

I understand your pain though. Regards the ship bug, Do an insurance claim then they work. I know.. Pre alpha an all that.

Hardest trick has been finding a decent server that's not at a standstill!

It also pays to join others as they will know the tricks so to speak.

Yup at it's current unoptimized alpha state the game needs 16GB ram, be installed on SSD and if the Windows swap file is on SSD that helps too.

About the servers: i'm in 3.0 since 1st wave of PTU and rarely see FPS beliw 20... usually 20-30ish. Also the crashes and not working doors are usually connection issues, i might seen 1-2 of those in these 2 months. So it heavily depends on the computer and connection too.

Associate
They started offering SQ42 on its own, prior to that I'm sure it was always included with Star Citizen. You could purchase it on its own.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15189-Package-Split-Information

"Are Star Citizen and Squadron 42 still connected?
YES! The package split does not change the fact that Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are part of the same game universe, or the fact that the games are functionally connected. You will access Squadron 42 through the same game client. "

Soldato
Yup at it's current unoptimized alpha state the game needs 16GB ram, be installed on SSD and if the Windows swap file is on SSD that helps too.

About the servers: i'm in 3.0 since 1st wave of PTU and rarely see FPS beliw 20... usually 20-30ish. Also the crashes and not working doors are usually connection issues, i might seen 1-2 of those in these 2 months. So it heavily depends on the computer and connection too.

I'll shuffle some stuff around and put it on my SSD to see if that improves it, I do have 16gb of RAM

Can't see it being my connection, as I have a solid ~66Mb with me being the only heavy user

Soldato
It'll run gr8 on one of my comps with 4gb ram but only in singleplayer or offline mode, once you go on pu it's a slideshow, and deffo grab an ssd to put it on!

Soldato
It'll run gr8 on one of my comps with 4gb ram but only in singleplayer or offline mode, once you go on pu it's a slideshow, and deffo grab an ssd to put it on!

Arena commander ran fine the 1 time i was able to get into it, but yeah PU is very hit and miss, when its finished loading its mostly ok, but still the occasional grind to a halt

Caporegime
Eurogamer writer is underwhelmed by 3.0

I found Frybird's comments interesting:

from Coments section said:
Star Citizen, for all it's disappointments, remains a lesson in the dangers of feature creep.

Even though a baffling one.

The initial promise seemed something along the lines of "we're doing Elite Dangerous, but with more fun combat, and as an MMO, and with a Single Player thing that's like Wing Commander and Starlancer".

Which is fine and dandy and a hefty order in of itself, but suddenly it had to be an FPS on top of it. And sprawling hubworlds. And...racing? Sure, why not. And, and, and...

It's an appeal to juvinile fantasies of the "Everything" Game. You know, the thing you dreamed about when you first played GTA 3? "Oh, how much cooler would that game be if you could go into every building, and all the cars look like Gran Turismo Cars, and they can run out of Fuel..." And, and, and...

It's a vicious cycle now. The Squadron 42 Demo did not look like a lot of fun, and it is baffling how a pre-prepared demo could not run at a at least somewhat stable framerate. BUT LOOK, you can run around in a space ship, and the Game of Thrones Guy looks super realistic and how dare you question that much AMBITION!

But that's the thing. Even a Hideo Kojima, who blows every budget with attention for detail and grand scale thinking, managed to eventually cut all the vision down into a finished product. And even a Peter Molyneux, with all his starry eyed aspirations, managed to make games that satisfied enough people, even if many others felt betrayed by the lack of fulfilled promises.

Roberts, from the current viewpoint however, feels way out of his league. Stumbling in an Indie operation (no matter how much money he got for it) at its limits, with a whole lot of prototypical content but no tangible product, apperantly afraid to deliver less than the "Everything Game". No matter how it continues to slip further out of reach.

But well, i guess how dare i question such beloved AMBITION and VISION, right? I just spent a minimum on the dream in hopes they would at least get done with a halfway decent singleplayer space combat game. I'm not a TRUE BELIEVER.

I'm just wondering if RSI dares to eventually deliver something that won't live up to impossible expectations, or when they are ready to pull the plug and leave thier adoring fans with some unfinished alpha stuff.

Soldato
OP
Most people I've spoken to agree with him to be honest, I'm one of them. CIG is making a game which unless they introduce improved mechanics for cargo etc which they've promised (drones etc to assist) it's going to feel like going to work.

Soldato
nothing a lot of us haven't been saying for months/years now. i wanted SC/SQ42, that's what i KS'd for, i don't give a flying about racing, yet that's been shoehorned in for some reason and that's just one example

Soldato
I'm just glad I was able to resist getting involved. I check in here every few months and it's been the same story for years now :(

All I wanted from SC was an MMO Elite with nice (not hyper real) physics. Like Eve but with gameplay.

Associate
When you have a perfectionist in charge with the money to actually fulfil his dreams I think you can guarantee the game will be finished but thus if you aren't willing for it to be a long haul then SC probably isn't for you.

Soldato
When you have a perfectionist in charge with the money to actually fulfil his dreams I think you can guarantee the game will be finished but thus if you aren't willing for it to be a long haul then SC probably isn't for you.

The problem with perfection (at least as far as video games go) is that it's a constantly moving goalpost.

If this game is finished in 5 years, then today's great graphics will most probably look pretty dated and the exclusive ground-breaking features will have probably been done a hundred times before...

Soldato
The problem with perfection (at least as far as video games go) is that it's a constantly moving goalpost.

If this game is finished in 5 years, then today's great graphics will most probably look pretty dated and the exclusive ground-breaking features will have probably been done a hundred times before...
yea exactly.

They should just polish up 3.0 and release that. It has enough content to call it a fully fledge game. Space battles, exploring planets and fps combat. throw in some missions and you have a game with far more features and content then many

Associate

You're not wrong.

yea exactly.

They should just polish up 3.0 and release that. It has enough content to call it a fully fledged game. Space battles, exploring planets and fps combat. throw in some missions and you have a game with far more features and content then many

Some people out there would give you a public lynching for such heresy ! ;)

But that's the problem with this game, it has no solid foundation to build on, its clunky and generally quite nasty to play.

I have friends that will immediately get red faced and defensive is you dare as so much offer constructive criticism, but the flaws in this whole thing hide in plain sight.

This game has the opposite problem to ED , that has a very polished engine and solid mechanics, it just has a huge lack of content and AI/player interaction, SC on the other has has a dreadful engine, dreadful mechanics and an over reliance on wowing the player with superfluous features ," the game runs at 15 fps , the net code sucks, constant crashing and game breaking bugs ? don't worry about that , look at this amazing cargo door and toilet your space ship has"

What i'm trying to say is that they haven't even got the basics right , let alone anything else.

Soldato
You're not wrong.

Some people out there would give you a public lynching for such heresy ! ;)

But that's the problem with this game, it has no solid foundation to build on, its clunky and generally quite nasty to play.

I have friends that will immediately get red faced and defensive is you dare as so much offer constructive criticism, but the flaws in this whole thing hide in plain sight.

This game has the opposite problem to ED , that has a very polished engine and solid mechanics, it just has a huge lack of content and AI/player interaction, SC on the other has has a dreadful engine, dreadful mechanics and an over reliance on wowing the player with superfluous features ," the game runs at 15 fps , the net code sucks, constant crashing and game breaking bugs ? don't worry about that , look at this amazing cargo door and toilet your space ship has"

What i'm trying to say is that they haven't even got the basics right , let alone anything else.

Yea but my point is that given the FEATURES 3.0 has, it has a lot of features that no other similar game has and all they need to do is fix the net code, performance and mechanics and print it as retail.

Honestly just do that and add a few missions that will last players 20-30hours of game time and it will be fine.

release new features as a DLC or for star citizen 2 sequel.

Was rome built in one day and did settlers waited until it was fully built? No they build parts of it, people moved in and used it.

Why cant they do the same here? many video games do this approach. first game build the basic gameplay etc that will last you 10-20 hours and then in the next sequal build on top of the same engine and mechanics and make it bigger and better features etc.

Basicaly POLISH 3.0 AND RELEASE IT AS RETAIL

Soldato
TBH it sounds like you have low expectations of what you want from a game
All I can see from your posts is a game that has all the grind to get bigger ships, but no story arcs

Like yeah I played eve, and that's 90% player made narratives, factions battling for mostly the right to grind different areas.
But 3.0 wouldn't have enough players, or faction interaction to even that.

I'd say polish and release 3.0 is a straight up death sentence for SC and a terrible idea

Soldato
TBH it sounds like you have low expectations of what you want from a game
All I can see from your posts is a game that has all the grind to get bigger ships, but no story arcs

Like yeah I played eve, and that's 90% player made narratives, factions battling for mostly the right to grind different areas.
But 3.0 wouldn't have enough players, or faction interaction to even that.

I'd say polish and release 3.0 is a straight up death sentence for SC and a terrible idea
The story arc comes from the missions you do and follow.

think if it has GTA in space. except that you use ships to travel around different planets and do missions and follow a story arch from there either solo or coop.

It will be a huge success

Soldato
Yeah, I understand that,
but you're saying polish 3.0.
That's like playing GTA SA and having grove street with nothing but the desert in every direction.

It needs at least 3-4 decent crafted planets/stations with enough places to visit or the 'story arc' would be too hollow.

Back
Top Bottom