What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Dunkirk. - 2.5/10

I was expecting some atmospheric historically correct window on the on the Dunkirk evacuations of 1940 with some drama to drive the story. In the same sort of vein as band of brothers, with a British twist.

Unfortunately is was dull as dishwater from start to finish, none of the characters were remotely engaging bar the skipper of the little boat. The sound track was dire and the narrative just poor. Only parts that held my interest were the Spitfire skirmishes and they weren't brilliant either. I wanted it to be sentimental and flag waving in the same way that The Battle of Britain, 1969 film was. You knew what the film was within 30 seconds of the soundtrack starting and actually cared if the cast survived!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTv_4DPQUnQ

I seem to be in the minority but I actually liked the film.
Okay, i agree it wasn't an action lets blow up everything in sight & save the world Hollywood extravaganza which I think a lot of people who watched it expect it to be , but I certainly don't think it was as bad a many made it out to be.

To add in 4k it looks & sounds stunning.

Soldato
I seem to be in the minority but I actually liked the film.
Okay, i agree it wasn't an action lets blow up everything in sight & save the world Hollywood extravaganza which I think a lot of people who watched it expect it to be , but I certainly don't think it was as bad a many made it out to be.

To add in 4k it looks & sounds stunning.

No worries it would be a dull world if we all liked the same stuff..:)

I didn't expect it to be an all action blockbuster, but I did think that the characters would be engaging. I thought it was just too flat from start to finish and didn't build any real tension. Even though the flight scenes were filmed in the air, it was pretty obvious that other than being painted in vaguely the correct colours of the day. Those were not Spitfires.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
All The Money In a the World - this is the movie where Kevin Spacey got replaced by Christopher Plummer who was pretty good as Jean P Getty the richest man in the world. Pretty good performances from Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg. The story was a little flat but still managed to string the audience along nicely for a few hours. 7/10.

Man of Honour
The Angry Birds Movie - 7/10. Aside from being unduly excessive with adult ‘humour’, this was pretty fun. Completely ridiculous and often quite amusing. You could do worse.

Soldato
John Wick Part 2 - Was really good to be fair,i enjoyed it even more than the first 8/10.
Ruby Rose was pretty good in it too,The role she played in it suited her perfectly i think.

Associate
Mollys Game 8/10. Excellent movie, was long but it certainly didn't feel like it. + Jessica Chastain was :eek:.

Bright 6/10. Decent enough. Clearly a lot of back history there that would be good to get filled in but I liked it overall.

Soldato
Bright 6/10. Decent enough. Clearly a lot of back history there that would be good to get filled in but I liked it overall.

I hoping a lot of that history will come out in the Sequel. It's definitely a very interesting world, even if the film itself was only decent. I am looking forward to seeing what Netflix will do with it.

Associate
Finally saw Kingsmen 2. After some of the comments in this thread I was worried that it was going to be terrible, but all in all I enjoyed it much the same as the first one. In fact I probably preferred the villain of this one over the first. Not altogether dreading where they decide to go next with any sequels.

Associate
The Greatest Showman 8/10

Seen this twice now and I could easily see it again before it drops off the cinema. Quite simple story wise but the musical numbers really make up for it and more.

Associate
All the Money in the World (2017) - 7/10

A watchable true story with strong acting, good use of locations and the plot moves along at a decent pace.

The film takes a different slant on kidnappings and makes some good points, but does mean the attitudes of those involved and some of the events are a bit peculiar (although they do end up making sense).

It could have been more dramatic, especially during the handover sequence towards the end.

Soldato
Jurassic World.

HAHAHAHA/10

So, so bad.

And I rate Jurassic Park as my favourite film ever, even if not true to the book.

It was one long parody of set piece references/nods to the first two films. It's like they didn't even bother to create a new story that could stand on its own merits. But the same goes for so much now - thinking of Star Wars, James Bond etc.

In general the attachment to "iconic" set pieces and subsequent desire to try to recreate that magic loses sight of why it was magic in the first place - because it was new and coherent within the story being told. Those iconic moments were made because they served the story. Simply taking all those set pieces, stringing them together in a different way with different coating and wallowing in them doesn't serve the story and in turn never achieves that iconic standard.

And seriously, even a child playing with toys couldn't come up with such ridiculously imaginative and insane plot points as in this film.

And oh my god the ending... with Blue running like a hero toward the evil hybrid... :D

I need to scrub my brain of this madness.

Soldato
The Firm 6.5/10

Having a bit of a football hooligan film marathon this week. This one's ok and the part of bex is played quite well with the right amount of idiot in there. The part with the little boy and Stanley knife was a lot harder to watch now being a dad and I literally had my hand over my mouth.

Saw rise of footsoldier and football factory not long ago so next up is I.D and greenstreet. Any others I should watch?

Permabanned
Silence (2016). Generally enjoy Scorcese films but went in to this with low expectations. Was pleasantly surprised and didn't find it too long or slow at any point. Torn between a 7/10 and a 8/10..... Will go with an 8 because of some of the Japanese actors!

Soldato
Renegades - 3/10 - US Navy SEALS find Nazi gold in an old underwater town behind "enemy lines" during the Yugoslavian Civil War, shame they didn't find a script down there too. It's a barely passable action flick at best and while the story is interesting and "war nerds" like myself will appreciate the effort the production staff went to in getting their hands on the right military equipment in use at the time (had a little nerd-gasm myself), sadly the script and acting is very sub-par with an almost 80's action hero feel to it. Even J.K Simmons fun cameo can't drag the film up into mediocre territory.

Back
Top Bottom