Google Home

Permabanned
OP
Can anyone confirm that Home won't work with my Gsuite calendar? Seems to let me do reminders but won't read my calendar for toffee. Keeps saying I should retrain my voice :confused:

My GH happily reads my next GC event when I ask it. I simply say: OK Google, what is my next calendar event?

Soldato
I believe GSuite is the correct term. Essentially I host my own domain and email in Google. Which seems to mean I can't use the calendar on Home :(

Permabanned
OP
I believe GSuite is the correct term. Essentially I host my own domain and email in Google. Which seems to mean I can't use the calendar on Home :(

@Scam. I do not know the answer for GSuite support of GCal on GH. Here is freephone number for GH support if you wish to pursue it: 0800 026 1217.

Permabanned
OP
I see that Amazon is expected to begin Alexa ads on their Google Home competitor device in 2018. They are rumoured to be in talks with companies such as Colgate, Proctor and Gamble, etc about suggesting product or sponsoring product when a user does a voice search for a relevant product.

For example, if a user says: "Alexa help me buy toothpaste", it is likely that soon it will respond with something like "OK, I can look for a brand, like Colgate"--ie a target opportunity for a brand advertiser. The brand advertiser would pay Amazon for suggesting its product.

Currently we do not have a payment option built into Google Assistant but I would not be surprised if soon you will receive an option to provide both payment details and a delivery address.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/02/amazon-alexa-is-opening-up-to-more-sponsored-product-ads.html

Is this something that you would find useful?

Soldato
I see that Amazon is expected to begin Alexa ads on their Google Home competitor device in 2018. They are rumoured to be in talks with companies such as Colgate, Proctor and Gamble, etc about suggesting product or sponsoring product when a user does a voice search for a relevant product.

For example, if a user says: "Alexa help me buy toothpaste", it is likely that soon it will respond with something like "OK, I can look for a brand, like Colgate"--ie a target opportunity for a brand advertiser. The brand advertiser would pay Amazon for suggesting its product.

Currently we do not have a payment option built into Google Assistant but I would not be surprised if soon you will receive an option to provide both payment details and a delivery address.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/02/amazon-alexa-is-opening-up-to-more-sponsored-product-ads.html

Is this something that you would find useful?

I hate the thought of advertising creeping in, but that example seems acceptable I guess, at least its a situation where you have specifically asked for help making a purchase rather than just random advertising. It will be interesting to see how it develops, but I do what I can to avoid advertising so not sure I want another channel into my house.

I hate the thought of advertising creeping in, but that example seems acceptable I guess, at least its a situation where you have specifically asked for help making a purchase rather than just random advertising. It will be interesting to see how it develops, but I do what I can to avoid advertising so not sure I want another channel into my house.

I kind of agree, but then I think when I Google for a product now, the first 2/3 results are paid for ads, then organic results. I guess this is no different

Permabanned
OP
I kind of agree, but then I think when I Google for a product now, the first 2/3 results are paid for ads, then organic results. I guess this is no different

I look at it as inevitable but likely that Google will handle it with some care. They are really booming on Google Home now with the built-in Google Assistant now supporting over 1500 smart home devices and some 200 brands, a huge leap in one year. Perhaps guiding the GH user towards brands that support GH might be a good place to start such ad support.

https://9to5google.com/2018/01/05/google-assistant-supports-1500-smart-home-devices/

Permabanned
OP
Estimate now is that there are 35 million Amazon and Google Home smart speaker units now sold globally.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-a...n-market-share-contest-analysts-idUKKBN1ES0VW

From Google Blog Post today 5 January, 2018:

"With Google Home Mini and Google Home Max in addition to our original Google Home, we brought you even more ways to use the Assistant in your home. So it’s no wonder we’ve sold tens of millions of all our Google devices for the home over this last year. And in fact, we sold more than one Google Home device every second since Google Home Mini started shipping in October."

Permabanned
OP
Recall that Google plans to introduce phone calling on Google Home soon in the UK, a feature already on both the Google Home and Amazon Alexa in the US. Recent survey: "people with devices like Amazon Echo use phones less"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/06/amazon-echo-and-other-assistants-often-lower-smartphone-use.html

I would find the new Schlage Sense smart dead-bolt lock an interesting use of Google Assistant that I can use remotely or from my Google Home to open my front door, or when I have forgotten my keys. Nest has already announced plans for a smart doorbell with video and I could see combining these two features at my home.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/07/schlage-sense-lock-works-with-google-assistant/

Google Assistant, built into Google Home, Google Home Mini and Google Home Max will start showing up this year in new tablet-like devices designed by LG Electronics, Sony Corp, JBL and Lenovo. So these smart displays will introduce tablet-like screens.

I assume buyers will compare the price and performance of these new smart devices to Amazon's Echo Show and the smaller Echo Spot, which with a display sell for $ 230 and $ 130 respectively in the US. Lenovo's version of the smart display will come with an 8 inch screen for $ 200 or a 10.1 inch screen for $ 250. Lenovo's device will also include a camera that shoots in 720p high def.

It is estimated that 45 million people in the US will use smart speakers in 2018, according to EMarketer estimates. People who would buy smart displays are likely to be frequent users of YouTube videos and videos showing recipes.

The devices can also show details about restaurants, launch a video chat over Google Duo and pull up images hosted on Google Photos.

What do people think about the idea of a smart speaker with a tablet-like display screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Not for me. I like the ability to ask a question/action and it to be answered without having to read, if I wanted textual/visual info I'd just pull my phone out of my pocket :)
I's assume the 'default' is for the device to talk back to you so you don't need to look at the screen. E.g. if you ask for the weather it'll tell you, but also put it on screen if you want to look. If you ask it to start a video call with someone, it'll do that. That's the way I'm imagining it anyway.

Permabanned
OP
Google set up a new page where you can find everything its AI Assistant is capable. There are over 1 million things to try according to Google, but to make things easy the list is broken down into categories like “Home control,” “Games & fun,” and “Productivity.” The main page also points to new and trending skills, along with a search bar in case you still can’t find what you’re looking for.

Anyone find something here they did not know? I found a number of things. Hope you enjoy exploring it.

https://assistant.google.com/explore

Soldato
Recently caved in and finally got a Mini, the coral colour actually looks pretty nice. I'm actually surprised I don't even need to talk very loud, even at the other end of the room, and it can still hear me.

Tempted to get some smart bulbs next but I have no idea what to go for.

@sesevans thanks for the link, tried asking for the tube status this morning but seems I was using the wrong command, looks like I have to use the Tube Status app for that. A lot of other handy commands as well which I want to try.

Back
Top Bottom