Spec me..... 7.5K

Associate
Well i have finally saved up the cash for my next car purchase, i have a budget of 7.5k i can push it to 8 if i find the correct car. I currently do around 10k miles a year, my daily commute is 15 miles each way on nation speed limit single carriage way. I would prefer a petrol but majority of the cars that i have been looking at have been diesel as due to the vast amount of them sold in the past.
I wouldn't mind another diesel i had a Passat before that got wrote off and got replaced with my current petrol car. I like the idea of having V6 or 8V as i think they will be gone in the future with the push over to electric etc.
My requirements, needs to be a large family car 5 seats, what rules out a CLS what i would love but i regularly have 5 of us in the car. A large boot as for that a allows me to fit a buggy in but my son should be out of it in the 6 month to a year and sometimes a wheel chair. I have been mostly looking at Saloons and estates. Not a massive fan of an SUV.

My short list at the moment:
Mercedes E-class
Bmw 5 Series
Lexus GS
Jaguar XF

Caporegime
Just having a quick look on A/T bags you something like this....
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710210516005

It’s a 520d Estate with 110k miles, your not going to realistically get a V8 (or a Petrol) tbh but higher mileage 530d’s are out there.

The f11 certainly fits the large requirement but they are very prone to rear suspension failure (something the saloon version apparently isn’t as much) and of course at this mileage you’ll be well out of warranty...

If you want something like a BMW 5, your looking at high miles if you want a newer car or the less good e60/61 version (the e60 5 isn’t a bad car but the f10 is better) if you want lower miles.

Alternatively,a curveball suggestion, you could fulfill your V8 ambition but with the reassurance of a cast iron BMW used warranty on this...

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201801042450109?quoteref=fffd5907-c7e5-4454-bca2-601cd99cabfe

49k miles but it’s 12years old and not cheap - £6200, but it’ll be arguably one of the best examples you’ll find and backed up by a 12 month BMW used car warranty.

Still, the price leaves plenty left over to extend the BMW warranty and you could argue it’ll be a very good example with low miles that should serve you well for a good few years.

If you can overlook the age, it’s one hell of a car with arguably the best warranty in the business for £6200!

The sensible option is of course what leoncuprar says above,but, your a long time dead.... :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For that budget I'd be looking at Octavia or Mondeo as options..

No thank you, both good cars but don't interest me.

Just having a quick look on A/T bags you something like this....

Alternatively,a curveball suggestion, you could fulfill your V8 ambition but the reassurance of a cast iron BMW used warranty on this...

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201801042450109?quoteref=fffd5907-c7e5-4454-bca2-601cd99cabfe

49k miles but it’s 12years old , £6200, but it’ll be arguably one of the best examples you’ll find and backed up by a 12 month BMW used car warranty.

Still, the price leaves plenty left over to extend the BMW warranty and you could argue it’ll be a very good example with low miles that should serve you well for a good few years....

The sensible option is what leoncuprar says above,but, your a long time dead.... :D

If i can get a V6 or V8 it doesn't have to be estate, that why i have been looking at GS300/430

And to add, i am not to fussed about the age, as the age my current car is 15 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
If i can get a V6 or V8 it doesn't have to be estate, that why i have been looking at GS300/430

I edited my post, I’d assumed it was an estate but it’s a saloon.

Ultimately try the ones on your shortlist and then find the best example of the one you like most.

Got to agree with scratching the V8 itch, I love mine, just need to do the V10 and V12 itches now! :D

Associate
OP
I edited my post, I’d assumed it was an estate but it’s a saloon.

Ultimately try the ones on your shortlist and then find the best example of the one you like most.

Got to agree with scratching the V8 itch, I love mine, just need to do the V10 and V12 itches now! :D

V10 or V12 Yes please :D:cool::D

Soldato
I have considered the likes of LS, S class, A6 and 7 Series size of car. But my wife would not be comfortable driving a car of that size. But to be honest thats only every so often when we are a road trip and i need rest.

At which point you'll be on motorways most likely anyway, and the size of the car wont matter?

I too am looking for a similar motor, with a similar budget. So will be reading this thread with interest. Going to an auction tonight where they have a Jag XF SV8 going through, lol.

Associate
OP
At which point you'll be on motorways most likely anyway, and the size of the car wont matter?

I too am looking for a similar motor, with a similar budget. So will be reading this thread with interest. Going to an auction tonight where they have a Jag XF SV8 going through, lol.

Lol. SV8, would be interesting on what that goes for?

Caporegime
I have considered the likes of LS, S class, A6 and 7 Series size of car. But my wife would not be comfortable driving a car of that size. But to be honest thats only every so often when we are a road trip and i need rest.
My other half was apprehensive of driving my 735i due to its size but now she’s more than happy to drive it.

They’ve got parking sensors etc, she’ll soon not notice the size.

Back
Top Bottom