Can’t screw into wall...how do I hang a clock?

Soldato
OP

Ah OK, I’ve also used them a number of times, but in general I’ve found they wreck the wall a bit and that, for light stuff at least, it’s easier just to screw straight into the plasterboard.

Soldato
Is it plasterboard? If so just get a pozi screwdriver and push it through whilst rotating it. for that weight I'd be looking at a spring toggle or something else that spreads out.

This. It will take longer than drilling but it’s a safe solution.

Don’t be tempted to hamme through the last bit as it’ll just delaminate the board.

Soldato
OP
In case anyone is interested, I used one of the yellow Gripit fixings. It worked perfectly.

As far as my fear of screwing into a wire goes, I used a hand drill with a 15mm drill bit and took it very slowly. Worked perfectly.

Thanks all for the advice.

Caporegime
If your detector was throwing warnings all over the place is it because you might have foil-backed plasterboard?

Soldato
Just drill a hole, it'll be fine!

Last year I couldn't be bothered to go get the wall scanner that we had just put away and I needed to drill a hole to mount something. So instead I checked above and below to ensure that there were no sockets/switches that would be wired in. Then I literally said "Ah whatever, who dares, wins" and went for it...

BANG

Tripped downstairs sockets.

Turns out the person who wired it previously hadn't done a straight run form the sockets and/or under floor heating control and I'd gone through the conduit and hit two cables. I had to smash a hole in the newly decorated wall and get the two cables repaired.

I've since always used two different wall scanners on every drill. If I'm unsure and don't feel it's safe, then I use the Command strips, I'm quite a fan of them now.

Soldato
OP
Last year I couldn't be bothered to go get the wall scanner that we had just put away and I needed to drill a hole to mount something. So instead I checked above and below to ensure that there were no sockets/switches that would be wired in. Then I literally said "Ah whatever, who dares, wins" and went for it...

BANG

Tripped downstairs sockets.

Turns out the person who wired it previously hadn't done a straight run form the sockets and/or under floor heating control and I'd gone through the conduit and hit two cables. I had to smash a hole in the newly decorated wall and get the two cables repaired.

I've since always used two different wall scanners on every drill. If I'm unsure and don't feel it's safe, then I use the Command strips, I'm quite a fan of them now.

Exactly. I've done exactly the same thing, although I was honestly just a ******* idiot and even said out loud to the mrs, "the plug socket isn't below here, I already checked." It was directly below unfortunately. I managed to get an electrician from work to come and check it in the end, fortunately.

It's not something that I'd like to take the risk on.

Photo to complete the thread (blurry AF, soz):

KXJ8xkU.jpg

Back
Top Bottom