Road Cycling

Soldato
Any idea why the TCR seems to have become a firm favourtie instead? It's good for thought as I've seen the TCR at a good price as well so be interested to know why to chose one over the other.

I think its just preference, the TCR is the lighter climbing bike instead of the slightly heavier aero bike like the Propel is. Its a bit like nearly every other cycle brand has a climbers bike and an aero bike. (canyon ultimate/aeroad, specialized tarmac/venge, trek emonda/madone etc

Soldato
Another 190 miles in the end last week, glad the weather rolled in today on planned rest day (well running...).

Hope it rolls on thru as last week was quite pleasant just being cold, rather than windy, cold, and wet all at the same time!

Due to have some proper vo2, lactate and power testing in a couple of weeks with the thought to utilise it to pick up a coach. Hoping my work over the last few weeks will put me back to where I was pre trip to USA and push me on to have a good tt season.

Soldato
Yeah, I dumped my 32T just recently. It rarely got any use unless I was being lazy up steep climbs :p

I could put my old derailleur up for sale on eBay for a laugh. "Mint condition. Light use. Only 3 crashes, a rusty barrel adjuster, slightly bent cage and just 19000 miles. Free 34T inner chainring" :D
Crazy as it sounds it'll probably sell! When looking at RD's it took me a couple of months to grab a medium as cheap as I did, loads of other well used ones frequently selling for ~£30. The short cage where 90% or more of cheap 'new' listings.

Any idea why the TCR seems to have become a firm favourtie instead? It's good for thought as I've seen the TCR at a good price as well so be interested to know why to chose one over the other.
As Bear said. As most of the 'racers' here would be predominatly riding crits and street circuits rather than road races a lighter stiff bike was more suited. I also think it was just because it was 'new'.

Prior to the Propel loads of guys raced on the old (original) TCR, it is well known as a great race bike.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are people's thoughts on the Giant Propel? I'm sure @BennyC use to have one that he sold to another member on here too?

I'm thinking of getting one for a couple of upcoming triathlons later in the year and like the idea of something a bit racier than my Giant Defy.

Would it be ok to use every weekend or is the potential riding position in comparison best suited to racing with the occasional training ride?

Also been looking at the TCR Advanced as an alternative or maybe the Boardman Team Carbon. Unless anyone can recommend a better bike for racing on? (£1000ish budget)

Great bike, brilliant value. Sold it on to @Maxeh. @Bear has one.

It's quite stiff but still comfortable. The TRP brakes are a bit of a PITA but other than that no complaints.

Soldato
Lurgy incoming! :mad:

Still intending on racing tonight even though I'm sure it'll bring it on, it's not progressed to my chest yet. Kill or cure! ;)

There's been a couple of light flu's and a different 24h sickness going around work for the last 2-3 months. Although most people are on their 3rd or 4th iteration of the fluey thing I've avoided it until now (but had the sickness thing). My cyclist 'ability' to frequently abuse myself (my body being in an almost constant state of recovery from doing so) usually helps me miss most things! Dammit!

Soldato
Lurgy incoming! :mad:

Still intending on racing tonight even though I'm sure it'll bring it on, it's not progressed to my chest yet. Kill or cure! ;)

There's been a couple of light flu's and a different 24h sickness going around work for the last 2-3 months. Although most people are on their 3rd or 4th iteration of the fluey thing I've avoided it until now (but had the sickness thing). My cyclist 'ability' to frequently abuse myself (my body being in an almost constant state of recovery from doing so) usually helps me miss most things! Dammit!

The important question is, have you been saying, "G'day mate, got any Snickers?" ;)

It's got a bit of a wintry feeling going on down here now, sleet expected later, but I called it quits after two paltry "recovery ride" real hill climbs on the way home in the sunshine... Sunday's races on Zwift tipped me over the edge as far as quads soreness goes!

Still, I think I got my money's worth out for the Zwift free trial week, 222.5 miles and ~15781 feet for the week. £13 a month is more than I'm really happy to pay, but I found it far easier to put in the time on Zwift than on Elite E-training app... I can see a one or maybe even two months subscription happening, by which stage days will be longer and hopefully more pleasant as far as weather conditions go, making rides up the South Downs cat 3/4s appealing again.

Soldato
The important question is, have you been saying, "G'day mate, got any Snickers?" ;)
Lol wut?! That a meme I've missed?! :o

Still, I think I got my money's worth out for the Zwift free trial week, 222.5 miles and ~15781 feet for the week. £13 a month is more than I'm really happy to pay, but I found it far easier to put in the time on Zwift than on Elite E-training app... I can see a one or maybe even two months subscription happening, by which stage days will be longer and hopefully more pleasant as far as weather conditions go, making rides up the South Downs cat 3/4s appealing again.
You certainly got your moneys worth and did well exploring the various aspects of Zwift to help make your decision. I'm glad you did, so many people do 1-2 free rides and then say it's boring or not engaging enough.

I'd recommend you try some of the other subscription platforms as most have free trials - Trainerroad & Sufferfest being the main ones (plenty of others though!). You can then draw comparisons and decide which would work best for you when you do want to take up more online indoor training. Different riders, different goals, different platforms! You can stop/stop most of the subs while keeping your account. The Zwift sub went up in price recently so as it stands I think it's the most expensive of the lot anyway. I have stopped mine over the summer previously (although I didn't last year and this year I'm grandfathered at the old price so will probably continue it).

Zwift CVR race 3 last night with 2 ascents of Box hill. Utterly brutal! Writeup will appear in the indoor training thread at some point today. Came in 13th in bracket C.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol wut?! That a meme I've missed?! :o

You certainly got your moneys worth and did well exploring the various aspects of Zwift to help make your decision. I'm glad you did, so many people do 1-2 free rides and then say it's boring or not engaging enough.

I'd recommend you try some of the other subscription platforms as most have free trials - Trainerroad & Sufferfest being the main ones (plenty of others though!). You can then draw comparisons and decide which would work best for you when you do want to take up more online indoor training. Different riders, different goals, different platforms! You can stop/stop most of the subs while keeping your account. The Zwift sub went up in price recently so as it stands I think it's the most expensive of the lot anyway. I have stopped mine over the summer previously (although I didn't last year and this year I'm grandfathered at the old price so will probably continue it).

Zwift CVR race 3 last night with 2 ascents of Box hill. Utterly brutal! Writeup will appear in the indoor training thread at some point today. Came in 13th in bracket C.

Maybe you're too young to remember, but in ~1990, Marathon bars were renamed to the global brand Snickers. "G'day mate, got any Snickers?" was used in the TV adverts, used here in reference to "Aussie Flu" that is infecting the UK population currently.;)

A 2-month free trial of Sufferefest came with the Direto and Lezyne have just offered 30-day trials of TrainingPeaks and TodaysPlan, so I've got plenty to try out!

But I shall almost certainly be starting a Zwift sub later, I enjoy doing the climbs like the Radio Mast cat2 or a Leith&Fox Hill combo at various intensities, but I also like the racing... Often trying in vain so far to keep up with fellow competitors, trying to keep my power output up on the descents and flats and not just on the climbs.

The only slight annoyance is I now have to take my turbo and bike to the kitchen to train, which means disconnecting them to carry each way between the kitchen and mancave between use. After 8 days of using the turbo daily in the mancave, our downstairs neighbours knocked on the door on Monday afternoon, complaining about the noise when I turbo.

Soldato
Maybe you're too young to remember, but in ~1990, Marathon bars were renamed to the global brand Snickers. "G'day mate, got any Snickers?" was used in the TV adverts, used here in reference to "Aussie Flu" that is infecting the UK population currently.;)
Ha! Thanks! I do recall the change but I was 10 at the time so don't vividly remember any of the adverts - to be fair I didn't watch much TV when young, I was out riding my bike! :D

The only slight annoyance is I now have to take my turbo and bike to the kitchen to train, which means disconnecting them to carry each way between the kitchen and mancave between use. After 8 days of using the turbo daily in the mancave, our downstairs neighbours knocked on the door on Monday afternoon, complaining about the noise when I turbo.
Damn, gutted! Where you using a 'trainer mat' before? Much of the noise which will have transmitted is probably vibration.

I'm using a cheapy £16 no-name branded one and it made a huge difference when I used to turbo on some decking (open space below) at my previous house. I've also ridden it on some patio slabs down and also on a tiled floor (on a concrete base) in a conservatory and the mat made only a slight difference to noise with both of those. I'm now riding it on a concrete garage floor and it's around the same. The ramp and wheel noises from my Vortex although 'loud' don't really transmit through the wall into the house, only a very low 'rumble'. It doesn't wake the baby who's in the adjacent bedroom on the 1st floor (who's been a real light sleeper the last couple of weeks!).

Soldato
Ha! Thanks! I do recall the change but I was 10 at the time so don't vividly remember any of the adverts - to be fair I didn't watch much TV when young, I was out riding my bike! :D

Damn, gutted! Where you using a 'trainer mat' before? Much of the noise which will have transmitted is probably vibration.

I'm using a cheapy £16 no-name branded one and it made a huge difference when I used to turbo on some decking (open space below) at my previous house. I've also ridden it on some patio slabs down and also on a tiled floor (on a concrete base) in a conservatory and the mat made only a slight difference to noise with both of those. I'm now riding it on a concrete garage floor and it's around the same. The ramp and wheel noises from my Vortex although 'loud' don't really transmit through the wall into the house, only a very low 'rumble'. It doesn't wake the baby who's in the adjacent bedroom on the 1st floor (who's been a real light sleeper the last couple of weeks!).

No training mat, was on the "maybe I should buy" wishlist. I probably should have seen the complaint coming, mancave and lounge are uncarpeted wooden floorboards in rented accommodation, with large rugs in both that we bought. They've been "noise **********" over the last ~5 years they've been downstairs, we told them just after moving in that we had been hear since 2006 and the sound insulation is extremely poor because it's a 1960s build which doesn't have to comply with more recent regulations from ~2000. We told them that if we knocked on their door every time we hear their tv, music, console gaming, talking etc. we would be knocking on their door all day long when they're in. But providing noise is at a minimum from 2300-0700, we would tolerate it.
Really annoying me this latest moan, because since 2006 there has been 4+ different tenants downstairs, we've never had a complaint come through official channels/paperwork through landlords, lettings agents etc. and now these ********** are threatening to get the council involved after no chat or note about turbo noise during all of last week and apparently our Vax vacuum makes a right din! Now they've said something, I've said I will move turbo to use in kitchen which I think has concrete floor, they've never moaned about the washing machine in there so it must soak up a fair bit of noise.

So shortly I will unhook bike from Direto, carry it through to kitchen and see what better half's Surface Pro 4 tablet makes of running Zwift and the ANT+ dongle... And I've started a thrilling noise diary about interactions and noise from downstairs! :D

Edit: LOL, wintry things that fall from the sky are asterisked out by OCuk forum! :D

Associate
No training mat, was on the "maybe I should buy" wishlist. I probably should have seen the complaint coming, mancave and lounge are uncarpeted wooden floorboards in rented accommodation, with large rugs in both that we bought. They've been "noise **********" over the last ~5 years they've been downstairs, we told them just after moving in that we had been hear since 2006 and the sound insulation is extremely poor because it's a 1960s build which doesn't have to comply with more recent regulations from ~2000. We told them that if we knocked on their door every time we hear their tv, music, console gaming, talking etc. we would be knocking on their door all day long when they're in. But providing noise is at a minimum from 2300-0700, we would tolerate it.
Really annoying me this latest moan, because since 2006 there has been 4+ different tenants downstairs, we've never had a complaint come through official channels/paperwork through landlords, lettings agents etc. and now these ********** are threatening to get the council involved after no chat or note about turbo noise during all of last week and apparently our Vax vacuum makes a right din! Now they've said something, I've said I will move turbo to use in kitchen which I think has concrete floor, they've never moaned about the washing machine in there so it must soak up a fair bit of noise.

So shortly I will unhook bike from Direto, carry it through to kitchen and see what better half's Surface Pro 4 tablet makes of running Zwift and the ANT+ dongle... And I've started a thrilling noise diary about interactions and noise from downstairs! :D

Edit: LOL, wintry things that fall from the sky are asterisked out by OCuk forum! :D

My surface pro 4 handles zwift and it is the M3 version!

Soldato
Good news on Surface pro 4 working, thanks for that, MM-Seat. :)

Bike all set up in kitchen, just a couple of chores left to do and then I'm all set, better half won't be home until ~1800 so plenty of time to sweat myself to death in front of the fan.;)

I vaguely recall something happening in a thread which involved wintry thing accusations to others on here and I must admit it's not a term I usually use, but so apt for these moaners below. As and when we move, hopefully to our first mortgaged placed in the near future, they are going to get a big shock at just how quiet we are compared to many people.

Soldato
I had a power cut midway through a Zwift session last night, that was a new one. :/
Not enough watts? :p
Sorry, you left yourself wide open to that one matey! ;)

My bike ticked over 20k miles this morning. I think it's time for a new one!

Actually good challenge prize available here: https://www.strava.com/challenges/886

£10 off £50 at Sigma Sports for doing 250km in 7 days.
Good work! Small wonder your jockey wheels where looking a little 'tired'!

*£10 off when you spend over £50 on certain items only...

<snip>we've never had a complaint come through official channels/paperwork through landlords, lettings agents etc. and now these santaclauses are threatening to get the council involved after no chat or note about turbo noise during all of last week and apparently our Vax vacuum makes a right din! Now they've said something, I've said I will move turbo to use in kitchen which I think has concrete floor, they've never moaned about the washing machine in there so it must soak up a fair bit of noise.
Damn annoying! We had similar at our last place of some neighbour complaining about the dog barking. I borrowed a video camera from a friend and left it recording one day and all the dog did was sleep! It wasn't ours barking! A polite knock on the door and just a request to keep the noise down would work so much better but some people just seem to be ignorant to general courtesy and issue official 'threats'! To be fair the council would do very little about it unless it was noise outside of 'sociable hours' or whatever it's called (something like 8am till 10pm?). I've seen reference to a council officer been sent around with some kinda noise monitoring tool, one of the remote sites at my work had similar as they had foreign lorries arriving in the early hours with a house right next to their yard/entrance. They now can't receive lorries before 6am, equally the private house now has to buy land from us for a new entrance to be built as they where using our private drive for access with no agreement...! Being an annoying neighbour doesn't pay! :rolleyes:

As and when we move, hopefully to our first mortgaged placed in the near future, they are going to get a big shock at just how quiet we are compared to many people.
This. Exactly this!

One of our other old neighbours would do some odd noises some evenings, a repeated hammering sound. I knocked to ask if he could stop (huge foreign family of 6 living in a 3 bed house, but genuine nice people) and he was tenderising huge slabs of meat with a large hammer with headphones in ("it's loud"). :rolleyes:

Had a good laugh about it and said it was ok he did it in the morning during the week which he was worried about (as we where up from 6am for work)! We much preferred that than the 7pm - 9pm hammering while we where trying to watch TV in the adjoining 'room'.

Soldato
Good work! Small wonder your jockey wheels where looking a little 'tired'!

*£10 off when you spend over £50 on certain items only...

Well the worn jockey wheel was from a second hand derailleur, which I'm pretty sure has done similar mileage.

Where does it say certain items only?

Soldato
The link I saw on Facebook had 'selected items only' or such wording at the bottom of the advert.

Although the sigma site does say everyone who completes the challenge will be able to register for a £10 voucher, valid on all orders over £50 at www.sigmasports.com

Good luck anyone entering!

Back
Top Bottom