Glory
Chariots Of Fire
To Kill A Mockingbird [ When Boo Radley is discovered behind the door ]
Of Mice And Men [ 1939 ]
Scott Of The Antarctic
A Night To Remember

Man of Honour
Up.

If you’ve seen it, you know the scene. Perhaps one of the best and most heartbreaking scenes for setting the backstory of any film, let alone an animated film.

Absolutely this.

Also, if you're the same age as me (29) then Toy Story 3. Seriously got me. Not even close to Up levels mind :p

Associate
Titanic
Gladiator
These two always get me teary-eyed without fail - in the case of 'Gladiator' it's mainly the music that does it ... I find the music moving in any case and it brings back memories of a particularly sad event in my life.

In the case of 'Titanic', again the music is evocative (apart from Celine Dion :p) and I confess I'm a soppy romantic at heart.

Interesting that a couple have mentioned 'The Green Mile', which I watched on telly over Christmas - I had been warned it was a bit of a heart-string puller ... very good film, but I didn't find it particularly moving. Different strokes for different folks!

My 17-year marriage is in the process of breaking-up and in the interests of testing my recovering mental strength, I made myself watch 'Ghost' over the Christmas holiday, which was one of 'our' films and usually reduced both of us to a blubbering mess. Bad, bad move ... the last 5-10 minutes absolutely shredded me. The old romantic thing again ...

Oddly, I fully expect 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves' to have a similar effect next time I see it - nothing in the least bit moving about it per se, but it was the first film we saw together at the cinema and we always made a point of watching it if it was broadcast. Just the memories will be enough I think ...

EDIT: Coincidentally enough, the aforementioned 'Robin Hood' was on telly over the weekend - after the 'Ghost' experience over Christmas, I avoided watching it ...

Was thinking about this thread a few nights ago - I've definitely been more emotionally vulnerable since the break-up. I'll see certain things on telly now and just crumple - 6 months to a year previous and similar things would see me sat there stony-faced unable to see what the fuss was about. I'm hoping that more stable behaviour will return once we're divorced.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If I'm totally honest, most films these days will have me sobbing by the end.

It all started with 'Room'. I simply can't stop crying once that movies started. It's just so wonderfully pure as a story.

'12 Years A Slave' is another one that gets me. When Solomon finally meets his family again after so many years and the first thing he has to say is 'I'm Sorry...'. The injustice and poetry of those words absolutely slays me.

'Inside Out' as well. Soon as that theme starts, I'm done xD

Generally speaking, any movie who's main theme is 'injusice' will be likely to reduce me to a blubbering mess of a man.

There's two, really: green mile and, oddly, The Fly 2 (the bit with the poor mutant dog: I don't even like dogs)

Without a doubt one of the saddest things humans have ever created...

Back
Top Bottom