New build for VR focused PC

Associate
Hi there folks. It's been a VERY long time since I've looked into building a new PC so I think this time I may just leave it to the experts.

I basically want a decent VR gaming system mainly to play & stream Elite Dangerous in VR and any other good VR games i discover along the way. I have a 2nd PC which would be a streaming machine.

I may just have the CPU water-cooled only as in future if I want to change the gfx card I won't need to return it to OC.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Tech Labs Watercooled KabyLake Z270 Pro Gaming PC Configurator = £3,534.50
    • Case:Aerocool P7-C1 Midi Tower Tempered Glass Edition - Black
    • Motherboard:Asus ROG Maximus IX Formula Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    • Processor:Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
    • Case Lighting:NZXT Hue+ RGB Dual Channel LED Controller - Black
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • CPU Overclock:Intel Kabylake Overclock - 4.8GHz
    • Graphics Card:Asus GeForce Strix GTX 1080 8GB with Nickel Plexi EK Waterblock - Configurator
    • CPU Waterblock:XSPC RayStorm Pro WaterBlock (Intel) - Black
    • Fluid Colour:2xMayhems Pastel - Yellow Coolant 1L
    • Tubing Colour:2xEK Water Blocks EK-Duraclear Tubing 16/11 - Clear 1M
    • EK Fittings Colour:EK Black Fitting Bundle - Dual Rad, CPU, VGA, Pump, Res
    • Memory:Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK32GX4M2A2
    • Speakers:Unwanted
    • Monitor:Samsung S24D330H 24" 1920x1080 TN Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black
    • Gaming Chair:Unwanted
    • Soundcard:Unwanted
    • Network Adapter:Unwanted
    • Power Supply:Corsair RM Series RM1000X '80+ Gold' 1000W Modular Power Supply (CP-9020094-UK)
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • M.2 Solid State Drive **For Operating System If Selected**:Unwanted
    • Solid State Drive 1:Samsung 1.0TB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E1T0B/EU)
    • Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 1:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Headset:Unwanted
    • Keyboard:Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB Mechanical Keyboard, Backlit RGB LED, Cherry MX RGB Red (CH-9101010-UK )
    • Mouse:Cougar MINOS X3 Optical USB Gaming Mouse
Total: £3,548.60 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Last edited:
Soldato
@crazybee

welcome! few of us recently helped a first time gamer build his own PC - set up for VR gaming with Headset ports at the front of the case- worth a read

@leeince
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-rig-monitor-snd-rift-bundle.18807560/page-19

few others we've help here build and spec gaming rigs specifically for VR :)

system you've selected is out of date, intels 8th gen coffee lake 8*** series offers better performance and value for many against 7*** series with 2 cores being added to the i3/i5/i7 range.

AMD also offers the Ryzen range which is even better value for money and match or bested intels 7*** series .

really worth building your own! if you stream.... stream it or record it! first time builders also learn a lot from other first time builds :)

OCUK also offer the option to build a system spec'd by yourself or amendments to their Pre-built sections . might cost a few more pennies or pounds but at the day- its your rig- make it your own :)

Soldato
If I was spending £3.5K I would want more than a 1080p screen and a GTX 1080. Also you are one gen behind as you should be looking at the i7 8700K or a Ryzen R7 1700/X system.

As above you should have a go at building your own pc, as it isn't as daunting as you might think.

Also this is your 1st post even though you joined 7 years ago ? :eek::D Anyway welcome back :D

Associate
OP
@orbitalwalsh Didn’t know there was newer processors available. I was just going by what is offered on the OC website. I built a system 7 yrs ago (with pre built water cooling on cpu) & it’s still going strong just not enough power for VR.

Done another build based on the ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA INTEL Z370 Mobo, any good? is the Z370 chipset the latest?

Just spotted the CosAir CPU cooler which looks cool with the RGB lighting on :D

@lee32uk I was on the forums many yrs ago when i was researching and building my current system, i think i even did a project build on it at the time but I guess there was a forum wipe or something

Associate
Liquid cooling, particularly custom liquid cooling (which adds $$$$$$$ to the cost with, for gaming at least, little to no perceivable improvement to the user experience) is not needed for average users. You can achieve very high performance with air cooling, or if you want to stretch an inch further, a pre-made "closed loop liquid cooler" such as the Corsair H series. Most of those cost 100 pounds or less, much less than the 500-1000-+++ you can spend on custom liquid cooling.

Then let's not forget about the complete headache that is the replacement of any failed part in a custom liquid cooled setup. It's terrible. If you air cool everything and your GPU dies it will literally take you 3 1/2 minutes to swap it out.

You don't need to spend 3500 squid on this. Totally unnecessary.

BTW there are GPUs now that have a little front panel box with HDMI on it so you can plug and unplug your VR headset whenever you want with convenient access. Just putting it out there. I'd get one if I did VR.

Soldato
@mistersprinkles

I may just have the CPU water-cooled only as in future if I want to change the gfx card I won't need to return it to OC

Don't think OP intended to run a full Hard-line build just CPU which can be done cheaply .
Either through EK Gaming kits or Standard £200-300 and then there's Alphacool Eisbaer systems which is a true AIO, their new one has a D5 pump and Silent Wing 3s .
With i7 8700k pushing 4.8 and above on all cores, if your not lucky can run rather hot !!!

Associate
OP
Revised build CODENAMED: "Virtual HiVE!"

Trying to decide on case, k/b & mouse. Also not sure if I want to go with the 3 or 2 fanned CorsAir RGB Cooler.

Anyone wanna give me suggestions on cases? nice midi case with side window & controlled RGB lighting.

Also any issues with this build? just want it decently fast for VR and gaming for the most part.

Cheers ö7
Total: £2,490.38 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Soldato
Case for the above build with RGB down the sides which is controlled by the Mobo

Total: £188.69 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Total: £939.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

VR case and build around VR (GPU has internal HDMI to plug into front of case)

Total: £2,182.65 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Few Aorus VR builds with few using above or other 5.3" drive bay cases like Phanteks Pro M .
Halo covers are RGB and daisy chain up and plug into the board and give a diffused glow

s6cmvhL.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hey thanks for the heads up on the VR port on the front panel.

and oh DAMN those Team Group memory sticks, HOLY COW!!! They any good though? Never heard of them before but then again I have been out of the PC building game for a good few yrs now.

thanks again ö7

Soldato
hey thanks for the heads up on the VR port on the front panel.

and oh DAMN those Team Group memory sticks, HOLY COW!!! They any good though? Never heard of them before but then again I have been out of the PC building game for a good few yrs now.

thanks again ö7

It's not a must thing to have, bit some VR users can't leave there Headsets plugged in all the time or can't always get to the back of the case easy , so makes life easier . My toddlers have access to my pc and wrecked my £300 ducky shine keyboard last week , so for me, if I had a headset would be locked up haha

Team group are quite favoured on here , and ocuk staff member and record holder for benchmarks has his own line with them .

Recent Aorus VR owner

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-gaming-rig-monitor-snd-rift-bundle.18807560/

If your not able to self build, you can have ocuk build it with an extra charge but will get warranty on it like their other pre-built systems

Associate
OP
Sorry its been a little while but I've updated my VR Build alittle, only thing is I don't know which case will be able to handle the Corsair Hydro CPU H150i cooler. Want to be able to have the cooler at the top or front of the case.

Any recommendations, must have RGB or a splash of yellow.

Also looking for a decent monitor. any problems with this build compatibility problems with the hardware?

Looking to build this thing the end of Feb / start of March

Total: £2,374.89 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
Don't buy that Corsair PSU - look for an equivalent Superflower/EVGA or Seasonic Unit.

The one orbitalwalsh listed is more than enough for your needs.

Do you not need any internal storage like a 3TB HDD?

In terms of a monitor, you have any requirements in terms of resolution TN/IPS etc?

Soldato
@crazybee

Total: £188.69 (includes shipping: £11.70)

can have mobo standard or upside down to show off GPU RGB/cooler - also case has front diffused RGB lighting and supports 360 rads

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31418200/

2017-12-12%2001.16.20.jpg

Associate
OP
@Jay Blizzay Why not the Corsair PSU? I've got one in my +7yr old i7 and never had a problem with it *touch wood*

Anymore shots of the Dark Base 700 out there? esp with the Corsair Hydro H150i or the Corsair Hydro 115i

Soldato
@Jay Blizzay Why not the Corsair PSU? I've got one in my +7yr old i7 and never had a problem with it *touch wood*

Anymore shots of the Dark Base 700 out there? esp with the Corsair Hydro H150i or the Corsair Hydro 115i

Might have to Google that one , mines in the shed :(

Corsair are solid but it's the running joke they slap their badge on any product they can shift with their branding .
Seasonic is OEM , and one of the best along with FSP and enermax (before they sold out)
10 year warranty and small ! Very small !
I can't remember who produces Corsair units now

Associate
Might have to Google that one , mines in the shed :(

Corsair are solid but it's the running joke they slap their badge on any product they can shift with their branding .
Seasonic is OEM , and one of the best along with FSP and enermax (before they sold out)
10 year warranty and small ! Very small !
I can't remember who produces Corsair units now
Honestly I had a pretty basic Corsair CX600 in my old build and that lasted 5 years until I replaced it last year in my new build with, shock horror, another Corsair RM650X.

Soldato
Honestly I had a pretty basic Corsair CX600 in my old build and that lasted 5 years until I replaced it last year in my new build with, shock horror, another Corsair RM650X.

Loved their AX units, small unlike their power units but my god did it cost a lot bad then :(

Riotora or something along those lines, ex Corsair staff and using Seasonic as oem. Starting to make good stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom