Something to make you smile.

Associate
It's interesting. A friend of mine has an office next door to the local speed awareness place and so I'm hanging around there fairly often. The demographics are what got me. 10% middle aged blokes with pot bellies. 10% boy racers. 80% women of all ages but in particular 20-40s. School run mums.
Probably because they have no awareness of their surroundings and don't spot the camera vans / speed cameras.

Man of Honour
Speed Awareness Course is actually okay if you don't go in with a complete "WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME" douchebag attitude.

I was stunned at the lack of knowledge from the 30 or so people on mine - I would say 90% of them were almost completely clueless.

Caporegime
20mph is agonising.

The course didn't really make much of a point to an individuals speeding circumstances, in fact I rather enjoyed the course it was delivered well and not at all condescending. It was my first offence and frankly given my younger days, 48 in 40 was a good day to get caught ;)
Yeah the course I went on yonks ago was very good. As for 20mph... it depends on the road... round our estate there are so many parked cars and the road is bending left, right, up, down... you'd be mental to do more than 15... but it's a 30 limit.

As for "think of the children"... I slow right down to keep the cats safe. Screw the children (not literally).

Associate
OP
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8...uGBAul9yDSBKbUqNOy2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
This is the stretch of road and we went back along it to try and find the speed signs, they are there but why only the 12 inch diameter ones. Not denying guilty as charged and I should have been looking for the signs. But a long straight road with wide pathways and houses a distance from the road is not the typical 20mph zone.

Soldato
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8...uGBAul9yDSBKbUqNOy2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
This is the stretch of road and we went back along it to try and find the speed signs, they are there but why only the 12 inch diameter ones. Not denying guilty as charged and I should have been looking for the signs. But a long straight road with wide pathways and houses a distance from the road is not the typical 20mph zone.
I was also looking for the speed signs from the link you posted in the original post and it took me a while to find them.

Soldato
I thought 20 mph zones were only in effect during school times, the ones around me are as they have flashing lights to show when in effect.
Some are, some aren't.
Here we live on a 40 limit road and the lights flash during school run times... but on a 30 limit road in town is a permanent 20 to this day, even though the school it benefits no longer exists.

I went on an awareness course, and I was really shocked at the lack of knowledge displayed by those attending.
I'm more shocked at the behaviours of those who've already done an awareness course.

The wife still drives like a beagle on E-numbers... while another friend has become a road rules Nazi, but insists on (still) driving like a granny - He's approaching (but staying 2-5mph safely below) 40-mph while I'm reminding him this road is NSL and the specific one the local driving instructors all use to get students doing 60, but he just nods and pootles along at near-40 with a nice big tailback..... how the frak he got caught speeding, I don't know!!!

Soldato
Worrying if you actually think that.

Why only post part of the quote, I've said the ones around me have flashing lights to show when they are in effect, what is so worrying about that?

If they are permanently in effect then they should have fixed speed signs and not the ones that say "20mph speed limit in effect when lights are flashing"

Caporegime
I've been pulled for speeding twice, once for going 70 in a 60, once for going 53 in a 30 (long straight road, 2AM, no cars about until a police car sped up behind me)

Got let off with a slap on the wrist on both occasions. The officer who pulled me over for doing 70 in a 60 was a complete ****head though.

A 20MPH limit on the road in the OP is ridiculous! :eek:

Caporegime
Seems fortunate. I guess they couldn't be bothered with the papers.

Indeed. I was very polite and apologetic and pulled all the "I'm sorry, I don't usually speed, blah blah" cards. Didn't help that I was ferrying passengers back from a party (I was designated driver) and they were being rude and they threw rubbish out of the car as well, so I apologised for them and repremanded them for being loud while I was trying to talk to the Police (which the officer seemed to like...) and I generally must have seemed embarrassed and scared... :p

Oh and I was in my Skoda which probably helped as opposed to being in a riced Celica GT...

Soldato

I drag raced what turned out to be an unmarked Audi S3 up a slip road from 50 to 100+, got let off. Same car stopped a friend a few weeks later for 110 and sent him to court.

When I had my T5 I also decided to give it some when joining the motorway, accelerated to 120 before I saw the blue flashing lights behind me, also got let off.

The only times I’ve ever got a ticket were in France - both times I was being very stupid and both times I got away with a small fine. I guess I must have a very innocent face :p

Obviously, I’m much more sensible now....

Soldato
I got pulled doing 50 in a 30 and same as Acme got a slap on the wrist. I think it helped that I didn’t have any Id or my driving license on me once he had checked it was insured and taxed he let me go. Don’t think he could be bothered tbh which was lucky for me. Did scare me though he came speeding after me with his sirens on and pulled right up my bum until I found a place to pull over in rush hour.Everyone was looking at me like I was some criminal lol

Caporegime
I drag raced what turned out to be an unmarked Audi S3 up a slip road from 50 to 100+, got let off. Same car stopped a friend a few weeks later for 110 and sent him to court.

When I had my T5 I also decided to give it some when joining the motorway, accelerated to 120 before I saw the blue flashing lights behind me, also got let off.

The only times I’ve ever got a ticket were in France - both times I was being very stupid and both times I got away with a small fine. I guess I must have a very innocent face :p

Obviously, I’m much more sensible now....

How on earth did you get away with that?? :eek:

Oral? :p

Soldato
How on earth did you get away with that?? :eek:

Oral? :p

Not yet, wouldn't rule it out though :p

The UK ones I literally have no idea - they just flashed their blue lights at me and shook their heads, didn't even bother pulling me over. I can only imagine they had better things to do.

The French ones were mostly down to me speaking French, being very apologetic and them not wanting to deal with the paperwork.

Just remembered another one - very early morning in Italy, fully exploring the performance of a Gallardo, when the tiny speck in the distance turned out to be a police car. By the time I passed them, I'd slowed down to the speed limit, but at the rate I'd caught them they obviously knew what I'd been doing. Turned my head to look at them as I got alongside, expecting them to pull me over, instead they were both grinning and frantically waving me past. I gave it a bit of power when I was in front of them, but I wasn't brave enough to blast away from them in case it was a trap :p

Caporegime
Nice. :p

I don't have any stories quite so exciting.

I did get a scare once when drifting (well, not drifting drifting, but I had my MX5 hanging sideways all the way round a roundabout) - I was quite proud of myself until I saw the Police joining the roundabout from a different exit.

They must have seen what I'd done because they turned around and followed me, but they didn't pull me over... My heart was going ten to the dozen... :p

Back
Top Bottom