• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
Retailers are parasites and are just as bad as the miners. They don't need to be selling these card above rrp, but they choose to anyway. It isn't helping the situation.

The only way to solve this problem is for Nvidia/AMD to release cards specifically for mining and severely reduce the compute aspect of gaming cards.

They're businesses though, their sole purpose is to make money. Although I am waiting for a couple of cards to go down to more normal prices but labelled as "sale with limited units" :p

Permabanned
The problem with mining only cards is they have no resell value if or when mining is not profitable anymore.

Like bitcoin and tulip bulbs bought for lots of money. They would fit right in. The only solution is mining only and lockout for the rest. How do you deal with what is out there now is the nut to crack.

Soldato
The only way to solve this problem is for Nvidia/AMD to release cards specifically for mining and severely reduce the compute aspect of gaming cards.
Yep, I kinda assumed they would do that when they announced the mining cards. In the end they just lopped off the display ports and took $10 off the price or something. I guess the problem with neutering compute capability of standard "gaming" GPUs is that this would create an issue for people who genuinely use GPUs for both gaming and other compute tasks. Maybe they could have 3 types: gaming, compute, and both.

Of course all of this is moot because they can't produce enough cards as it is.

Soldato
For those mining with just one gpu to make a bit of money for Volta have you actually trying to convert crypto to real money? It's not that straightforward. Unless you consider taking selfies with your passport, sending sensitive personal information to some Taiwan based company that keeps telling you your passport photo is not clear enough and waiting weeks only for your bank to decline the transfer as straightforward...

Soldato
The whole blockchain \ crypto thing is nonsensical but no more so than the stock market
I

Not really the stock market allows for individuals and groups to invest in shares of companies that actually produce, in some cases, products that are useful to wider society. Crypto mining produces 'something' of no real value and of no utility for the common good (as very few people actually use crypto currency as such rather then merely a speculative instrument) and at massive cost of energy and equipment.

Is the utility of bitcoin to society 'worth' more energy use then that of Ireland before we factor in the costs of the hardware used?

https://powercompare.co.uk/bitcoin/

Both the stock exchange and crypto mined currencies involve elements of speculation but no useful utility has come out of mined crypto currencies other than their use by criminals and such like to hide payments from the authorities.

Block chain technology may itself have some useful applications but mined crypto currencies are inherently unstable and prone to eventual total collapse as they rely on massive inflation on their 'worth' via speculation to become estabilised and to survive..... If there isn't the potential for big bucks to be made people will avoid or leave a crypto currency causing it to collapse. The whole thing about cypto's having 'cheap' transaction fees is solely reliant on riding of the back of expected massive speculative gains by the miners..... If the crypto currency was to some how stabilise in both value and volume (I. E no longer being mined in any significant quantity) the the only gain from supplying hardware would be the transaction fees alone which would mean an exodus of those supporting the currency with their hardware unless he transaction fees increased a lot.

The ease at which new crypto currencies can be established and the current lack of anything (like a nation state) 'backing' a crypto currency also renders them very unstable and unaccountable.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is, they would have to work together to do that or they would cripple themselves. I.E Nvidia launched the Titan XP with gimped compute but then had to unlock it via drivers once the Vega Frontier Edition arrived (of course Nvidia were doing that to maximise profit of Quadros, not prevent mining).

Associate
It is taxed
it depends on your income + the income from crypto
It starts on 10%, if your income - tax fee(11500) + crypto income - tax free allowance(11,300) < £33,500. Then you pay: crypto income - tax fee allowance = u pay 10% from this.
Otherwise if its more than £33,500 u pay 20% from the part above tax free allowance.
Or if u earned < 11500 and your sold crypto is worth < 11300, then you pay 0% tax.

More info, check Capital Gains Tax.

Associate
More importantly, when will it stop? When will the market get back to normality? I hear the community say when the crypto bubble bursts, but i can't see it being totally eradicated. Are we going to see this happen every few years within the PC market?

It's extremely frustrating because i've had to postpone my 2nd build due to the extortionate GPU/RAM prices. Probably until spring/summer.

Last edited:
Permabanned
They moan about the material in real cash too yet ignore cryptocurrency. To be honest they are both fake one only exists as paper one as virtual both only have value if people gave it value. None of them have gold or silver backing like how currency was intended. Now with idiots printing it... national debts in the trillions and crypocurrency you have to take a step back and laugh at how unreal and surreal at times the system we have.

There is going to be big crash and loss for the majority. That is how these systems work they start out small and irrelevant like tulip bulbs and the early birds with control get ahead and then when everyone else gives it value thier once worthless currency now has value. They will cash whatever they gain at the opportune time and always cash out early before any crash then when it all becomes worthless it goes back to how it started and should have been. Aka utterly worthless.

You can still be forced into mining too... just like everyone is forced into capitalism. You may need too mine for a gpu like other assets needing to provide a service or income to pay for a high outlay.
Said better than I could.

I really detest this whole pursuit of money by any means that society has been reduced too.

Always reminds me of the Gangstarr Lyrics...
The money though, it's got people actin funny yo
As soon as some brothers get some light, they be like dummies yo
Products and puppets and pawns, gettin played out

Soldato
This could be easily sorted if the started selling dedicated mining cards

Won't change anything. Even if they start selling cards with no display outputs, they're still consuming manufacturing capacity.

GPUs aren't *graphics* processors, they're just math processors. The math being calculated to generate 3D graphics is fundamentally the same as that being used to mine for coins.

GPUs are going be swallowed up by miners until the crypto fad is done....or at least until proof of work crypto is done.

Man of Honour
Crypto currencies are a passing fad as ultimately all governments will eventually ban using them.

To fail to do the above will totally undermine a Countries economy. Imagine a situation where no tax was being collected because everyone was using invisible Crypto currencies.

Associate
Crypto currencies are a passing fad as ultimately all governments will eventually ban using them.

To fail to do the above will totally undermine a Countries economy. Imagine a situation where no tax was being collected because everyone was using invisible Crypto currencies.

But part of the reason they work and are popular is that they're unbanable, you'd have to turn off the internet to stop some of them.

For those mining with just one gpu to make a bit of money for Volta have you actually trying to convert crypto to real money? It's not that straightforward. Unless you consider taking selfies with your passport, sending sensitive personal information to some Taiwan based company that keeps telling you your passport photo is not clear enough and waiting weeks only for your bank to decline the transfer as straightforward...

Gemini, owned by the Winklevoss twins who started Facebook with Zuckerberg, turns your bitcoin into dollars and sends it to your bank.

Coinbase, nasty fees but used by millions.

There are others but they're two of the most reputable.

What bothers me is the environmental impact of mining, I'm sure there are plenty of illegal farms tapping into illegal power supplies, millions of gpu sold that would've never been sold, a bit like illegal cannabis farms and even if they were paying for the power, most electricity is non renewable and reliant on dirty fuel to provide the electricity.

With cryptomining you make more money the less your electricity costs, so in the west where electricity prices are higher it's spurring green energy spending, Solar in particular has gotten a huge boost.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a guy in the US who has 70 1080ti cards mining, Making $500+ a DAY. All powered by his own solar panel farm. He actually generates more power that he uses and hasn't had a heating bill since he started.

Associate
Could amd or nvidia not just release a motherboard with built in high end gfx and no way to add more gfx cards thus making it usefull to gamers but not miners

Back
Top Bottom