Credit card surcharge ban now in force

Soldato
If you ordered food and they delivered it within the time frame given, how can you argue their service was poor?

I am sure if you just refused to pay the full amount each time, the app may cancel your account or the takeaways will just refuse to take your future orders.

Surprised at all these fast food knights willing to fight for justice by refusing to pay up on principle :p

My opinion is that if you dont like the service charge, dont use the app. It's not like they hide the charge, it is there when you go to the checkout.

Soldato
its a small step in the right direction, but they need to solve the charges at the root cause.
This 1000x

The root of this problem are banks. NOT the corner shop. The corner shop is getting shafted here and I cant believe anyone is supporting this.

Corner shops get charged two fees PER transaction in the form of a fixed fee as well as up to 3 percentage cut. Its utterly deplorable that they do this in a way where shop will simply never see 3% of their whole revenue from card purchases lol. Is that really how much it costs to electronically transfer something? NO. I dont recall gmail having to tax 3% of my emails. The whole banking industry is full of dodgyness.

The really damming thing is that they get shafted even more just because they're a smaller shop. Because average value of a transaction is going to be MUCH smaller in corner shops compared to big chains like Tesco. This is where the fixed fees hit hard.

This is just a scam/charade to end cash so even more money can disappear down the endless pit of surcharge fees. Imagine you have a million dollars between two trading parties, transfer it between couple accounts a few dozen times and every time you transfer 3% just magically disappears, soon all the money will be in the banker's pocket and nothing will be left to exchange/transfer between the two parties lmao. I honestly cannot believe how so many people are blind to what is happening here.

Soldato
Why are you defending small business ripping off customers by charging silly amounts to use a card?

Fee's for taking card payments is a cost of doing business and should be reflected in the prices charged by a company. The fee's are really not that much lower for Tesco than they are a corner shop and are capped by the EU. Having to pay £20 a month to rent a machine is really not that expensive and is a small overhead compared to things like rent, utilities and rates, likewise you can buy your own and don't have to rent one.

Small companies often shaft themselves by not taking cards or putting on silly charges because people actively avoid them. Cards have overtaken cash for transactions now and are only accelerating. Most consumers do not carry cash anymore, especially if they are less than 30. Young people contrary to popular belief have huge amounts of disposable income. I don't know how many times I have walked past the local chippy who don't take card and had to keep not buy because of not having cash.

Soldato
It's quite harmful for small to medium sized business imo. Where I work we take a lot of card payments over the telephone and prior to this passed on the charge for credit cards. This was previously 1.6...%. We're now hundreds of pounds out of pocket every month due to these changes. I understand the law for large companies that took the Michael but it does have a negative impact on smaller business.

A business primary reason of existence is to make money, but they all want their customers to pay to be able to pay? That's just absurd.

It's the era of AI robots, driverless cars, and everything in between, but you must pay us only in old fashioned physical paper notes or we will hit you where it hurts!

Soldato
Cash is more expensive for anything but the smallest of businesses, it's also a massive risk from everything from mistakes, to theft.

Anyone ever paid with a £10 and got £10+ back in change? Anyone recieved a fake note or coin? That sort of thing is easily done and happens regularly in cash transactions but business owners don't take that into account when thinking about the cash card thing.

Likewise its easy for an employee to not ring things through the till and pocket the cash.

But its also easy to hide cash income or not put things through the business with cash which is hard to trace. Ever got a discount by paying cash....?

Soldato
Crap piece of legislation, was nothing wrong with the charges, now everyone will face higher prices.

How long will it take until they outlaw delivery charges being separate too. The whole idea of separate charges is so those wanting to avoid them get a better a deal. This is no different from everyone paying more so they can include the option to deliver within the normal retail price. That would obviously be crazy as is this situation with card charges now being outlawed.

Soldato
Why are you defending small business ripping off customers by charging silly amounts to use a card?

Fee's for taking card payments is a cost of doing business and should be reflected in the prices charged by a company.
This makes no sense.

You're saying business rips off people by charging for a card transaction (which costs them money), but you then want them to absorb this cost into their retail prices so that cash payers get ripped off too :D. Also you forget the root of where these charges come from, and assume it comes from the corner shop, it comes from the bank.

You seem to want to penalise cash payers for a tax/cost which arises SOLELY from card use/users. Yet you say "why are you defending..." I am defending the righteous and honourable thing. You seem to be defending your personal convenience. :D Absolute comedy gold.

The fee's are really not that much lower for Tesco than they are a corner shop and are capped by the EU. Having to pay £20 a month to rent a machine is really not that expensive and is a small overhead compared to things like rent, utilities and rates, likewise you can buy your own and don't have to rent one.
You're ignoring the actual per transaction fees imposed by the processor, and are focusing on a £20 a month machine rent. 3% + 15p per transaction isn't a small overhead if your average transaction value is very low.

Small companies often shaft themselves by not taking cards or putting on silly charges because people actively avoid them. Cards have overtaken cash for transactions now and are only accelerating. Most consumers do not carry cash anymore, especially if they are less than 30. Young people contrary to popular belief have huge amounts of disposable income. I don't know how many times I have walked past the local chippy who don't take card and had to keep not buy because of not having cash.

You not buying chips has got nothing to do with anything. If you really wanted chips you'd just go to a cashpoint, not externalise your actions.

The best thing to do in this situation is for retailers to simply add 3% + 15p onto any final total if paying by card. If you're a big operation like tesco and can absorb the cost into your overall revenues, that's fine. But there's nothing wrong with a small shop being transparent about it and passing this cost onto the final consumer.

Soldato
Really cant believe people are saying the corner shops are shafting people simply for passing on a cost. When it costs nowhere near 3% to transfer numbers on an electronic ledger.

Soldato
Cash is more expensive for anything but the smallest of businesses, it's also a massive risk from everything from mistakes, to theft.

Anyone ever paid with a £10 and got £10+ back in change? Anyone recieved a fake note or coin? That sort of thing is easily done and happens regularly in cash transactions but business owners don't take that into account when thinking about the cash card thing.

Likewise its easy for an employee to not ring things through the till and pocket the cash.

But its also easy to hide cash income or not put things through the business with cash which is hard to trace. Ever got a discount by paying cash....?

Ummm.... I really doubt the amount of credit card fraud even comes close to cash fraud/errors. In fact it's getting WORSE. Our reliance on electronic funds is increasing exponentially even though it is insecure and easily hackable.

There are MASSIVE databases FULL of people's credit card details waiting to be bought and used.

Soldato
Cash transactions are not free, it costs time and money to deal with it. Having large amounts of cash is a huge risk for a small business which you have completely ignored. If you are a small business you either have to close while you go to the bank or have to pay someone to do the work or bank the money for you. It's also not free to bank cash.

Charging for card payments or just not taking them turns away customers, that is a fact. It's also a huge cost to a business.

The point I made about it should be reflected in the price is just that, card fee's are just another overhead and should be reflected in prices on the shelf just as the cost of dealing with cash is.

You don't have to get an account with the big providers which charge the high prices either. You can get terminals that charge far less, have no transaction fee's or a contract if you shop around.

Soldato
Charging for card payments or just not taking them turns away customers, that is a fact. It's also a huge cost to a business.
I don't agree because; if a can of Coke costs a shop 40p, and they sell it for 50p, their margin is 10p. Now if a person pays with a credit card - meaning the shop keeper only receives roughly ~38 pence in his bank for selling this Coke, he has lost 2 pence.

You are saying refusing this transaction will cost the business? I don't agree. I think accepting this transaction is what will cost the business!

I agree it's not free to bank cash, but most people seem to be assuming that Tesco is the same as a corner shop when it comes to handling cash and credit.

When we're talking about a corner shop taking cash we're probably talking just about enough for a wage for a couple of people after breaking even. Probably less than 30K a year in most cases, they have far less logistical challenges involved with cash. Tesco's revenue on the other hand is in the 50 billion range, yes it would cost them a lot to deal with the logistical challenges involved with cash. - But even then tesco is also a bank :p!

Soldato
This makes no sense.

You're saying business rips off people by charging for a card transaction (which costs them money), but you then want them to absorb this cost into their retail prices so that cash payers get ripped off too :D. Also you forget the root of where these charges come from, and assume it comes from the corner shop, it comes from the bank.

You seem to want to penalise cash payers for a tax/cost which arises SOLELY from card use/users. Yet you say "why are you defending..." I am defending the righteous and honourable thing. You seem to be defending your personal convenience. :D Absolute comedy gold.

You're ignoring the actual per transaction fees imposed by the processor, and are focusing on a £20 a month machine rent. 3% + 15p per transaction isn't a small overhead if your average transaction value is very low.

You not buying chips has got nothing to do with anything. If you really wanted chips you'd just go to a cashpoint, not externalise your actions.

The best thing to do in this situation is for retailers to simply add 3% + 15p onto any final total if paying by card. If you're a big operation like tesco and can absorb the cost into your overall revenues, that's fine. But there's nothing wrong with a small shop being transparent about it and passing this cost onto the final consumer.

Anyone paying 3% + 15p needs to shop around as that is horrifically expensive even on a Credit Card. Never mind a Debit Card.

Caporegime
Who the hell buys a can of 50p coke on a card in Britain, not Sweden cos that would be normal....

Ever since ever, every small corner shop I've ever used in London has had a minimum spend of 5 or 10 quid to cover their overheads a bit.

Maybe their should be a 2 tiered pricing system from card companies to help smaller businesses as a gesture of goodwill and business, but that's diametrically opposed to profits.

Soldato
Who the hell buys a can of 50p coke on a card in Britain, not Sweden cos that would be normal....

Ever since ever, every small corner shop I've ever used in London has had a minimum spend of 5 or 10 quid to cover their overheads a bit.

Maybe their should be a 2 tiered pricing system from card companies to help smaller businesses as a gesture of goodwill and business, but that's diametrically opposed to profits.

I buy everything on my card as I don't want coins they are a pain in the arse - pretty sure a lot of other people would agree. Its not card companies necessarily for C&P, if you use a decent sized Epos company they have far far better rates then standalone terminals.

If it is truly a "small struggling corner shop" then just do not take cards as a lot of local sandwich shops do. Lets be clear a lot of these "struggling shops" are making a fortune.

Associate
I buy everything on my card as I don't want coins they are a pain in the arse - pretty sure a lot of other people would agree.

I would agree with you. I received £350 in cash in October for selling a bike. I still have over £100 of it, and this is after paying someone £100 for a job. Haven't been near a cash machine in that time. I don't think you will ever get rid of cash but I go weeks without using it.

Soldato
I carry as little cash as possible., if I'm not paying by card then I using Android Pay instead. Even if its 10p.

If ever lost my wallet or got stolen I can get new cards. Not the case if I had cash instead.

Back
Top Bottom