BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
love my M135i - decent pace, not horrific mpg and moderately decent space (enough for a mountain bike in the boot or a couple on the roof). Only thing I find lacking is a LSD - I know one can be added (at considerable expense), but as the car is under pcp I can't work out what to do with it. Either mod this one and buy it at the end of the term (no point spending the cost for a LSD on a pcp car only to return it at the end), knowing its history and that I've looked after it, or wait til the end of the pcp and get an approved used M140, as it will be a little step up/change. Saying that, I've had this one nearly 2 years and have 2 to go on the pcp, and I know that after 4 years with a car I'll be wanting a change...

Soldato
My BMW 520D M-Sport Touring was delivered today, some photos.

27982851659_bff3b5a965_o.jpg

The interior is lush – mostly leather and metal

24891692017_a9eba12198_o.jpg

The interior ambient lighting can be changed to many different colours. I went with white and blue.

39055025054_e2512cb028_o.jpg

There are three different dashboard graphics for the driving modes

Sport

24891836437_6b4d07d526_o.jpg

Comfort

39729835492_498cd7769b_o.jpg

ECO PRO

24891836287_6a7e72ebe0_o.jpg

A slightly over engineered boot storage cover :D

39729661062_a158d8ce72_o.jpg

Soldato
love my M135i - decent pace, not horrific mpg and moderately decent space (enough for a mountain bike in the boot or a couple on the roof). Only thing I find lacking is a LSD - I know one can be added (at considerable expense), but as the car is under pcp I can't work out what to do with it. Either mod this one and buy it at the end of the term (no point spending the cost for a LSD on a pcp car only to return it at the end), knowing its history and that I've looked after it, or wait til the end of the pcp and get an approved used M140, as it will be a little step up/change. Saying that, I've had this one nearly 2 years and have 2 to go on the pcp, and I know that after 4 years with a car I'll be wanting a change...

There are rumours that the lsd might be coming at a significantly reduced price soon. Worth waiting as they’re currently around 2k plus fitting.

Soldato
Looks very nice, think I’ll be going for something similar to replace my saloon this year. How much did it set you back? I’d prefer a 6 cyclinder though I think.
I would have preffered a 530d but the extra cost was too much for me. I’ve been driving a 120d for 3 months and the power/economy is actually pretty good. Most of my miles are through rush hour traffic.

It’s leased, £1200 initial payment and 35x £405 for 10k Miles pa

Soldato
I would have preffered a 530d but the extra cost was too much for me. I’ve been driving a 120d for 3 months and the power/economy is actually pretty good. Most of my miles are through rush hour traffic.

It’s leased, £1200 initial payment and 35x £405 for 10k Miles pa
Very nice car. Those lease details kind of make me feel very lucky to have access to the NHS scheme!

Associate
There are rumours that the lsd might be coming at a significantly reduced price soon. Worth waiting as they’re currently around 2k plus fitting.
it would be v interesting if they do become cheaper. yeah, 2k is just too much at the moment, but I can see that if it becomes cheaper and more accessible then the boundary between the M-lites and proper M cars will be a lot smaller. LSD, JB4, MPE, downpipe and springs and there's possibly little in it (assuming the car's already got the adaptive suspension and auto)

Associate
M-Lite is such a cringey term :(
yeah, i hate it, but I honestly thought the term was created by BMW for the M#35/M#40s.

Personally, I think it almost devalues/under-appreciates the car and engineering. It's 95%? the same N55 engine as the M2 and missing a few handling tweaks (such as the infamous LSD), making it more an 8/10th car instead of 10/10th. So they're not regarded as "proper" M cars as BMW don't want them to devalue the M "brand"/reputation. Yet they'll sell a 120d in M sport with the same M badges... Dunno why, but a "M Sport" car/spec sounds better than a M-lite...

Merc are no better devaluing the AMG brand by offering AMG Line cars tho... but at least they dont (afaik) have a amg-lite range?

Caporegime
yeah, i hate it, but I honestly thought the term was created by BMW for the M#35/M#40s.

Personally, I think it almost devalues/under-appreciates the car and engineering. It's 95%? the same N55 engine as the M2 and missing a few handling tweaks (such as the infamous LSD), making it more an 8/10th car instead of 10/10th. So they're not regarded as "proper" M cars as BMW don't want them to devalue the M "brand"/reputation. Yet they'll sell a 120d in M sport with the same M badges... Dunno why, but a "M Sport" car/spec sounds better than a M-lite...

Merc are no better devaluing the AMG brand by offering AMG Line cars tho... but at least they dont (afaik) have a amg-lite range?

C43...

Man of Honour
The term M-Lite has been made up by owners. Someone on pistonheads posted a great photo of Alan Partridge with a caption about M lites which kinda summed it up a bit :D

Back
Top Bottom