Vidahost price has more than doubled - Time to move?

Man of Honour
On the whole the Shared hosting ecosystem is only heading one way, time to upskill and get yourself a VM or learn to care less about it, upside is once the AI Chatbots take off, you might at least get faster replies!

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I switched my domains over to NameCheap. They're cheap but get reviewed well and it's all been smooth so far.

I host a handful of small sites for people that get barely any traffic and most shared hosting accounts charge a fortune for addon domains so I moved my hosting onto a Vultr VPS running Centos7, they've been rock solid, but that's not for the feint hearted :D. I learned how to configure the VM using Puppet which is awesome, I can spin up a new Centos VM and run my script and it configures absolutely everything from scratch all the way from nginx set-up to SSH/VPN access.

Soldato
well hosting renewal time so it's been canceled and moved to Krystal for now.

£89 for a year and I don't use it as much as I should. all domains being moved over as well. No trying to keep me, no customer interaction at all other than automatic emails.

My big issue was they just didn't seem to know what was going on. I was on an older server, moved to a new one, CPanel and links from myvidahost never worked after the change as they retained the old info. Had to raise a ticket each time I moved a domain over and created the webspace as it never worked.

Going to redo a couple of my sites, get them functioning and then look at a bigger project I want to get up and running, probably need dedicated hosting for it though eventually.

Associate
Another possibility is to host your static websites on AWS using S3. It's ridiculously easy to set up and really cheap. I think just now it's only costing me $0.50 a month (and this is for Route53, which is something not everyone will need).

Soldato
I moved from Vidahost to Krystal. Seems better for me, the price and features are good, and now I no longer get that annoying "reduce server response time" message in pagespeed insights. Back on Vidahost it would be easily up to 0.6 of a second.

p.s just like AHarvey, I was on an old server, and got moved at some point. From then on everything was a mess, as it was when I dropped my main domain name too in favour of something else.

Associate
I use Simplex Webs and Ive been with them for 7+ years. The speed & support has been excellent (if you can speak to the main guy).

They aren't a huge company so aren't overstretched with too many customers.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
df7c9869ed909aa6fd55230f8133365e.jpg

Soldato
Got an email through the control panel of my website this morning about the SSL certificate expiring on 14th March 2017 and that I need to take action to secure this site.

Do I need to get an SSL certificate for the site? I haven't had one before.

Associate
Got an email through the control panel of my website this morning about the SSL certificate expiring on 14th March 2017 and that I need to take action to secure this site.

Do I need to get an SSL certificate for the site? I haven't had one before.

Hard to tell without the site URL ;)

Soldato
Hard to tell without the site URL ;)
Hehe. :p www.shaftesbury.harrow.sch.uk, just a school website. I don't think we need an SSL certificate for what we do hence my confusion when the email came through. I half wondered if it was a spam but the email looks to be above board and I am confident the website hasn't been hacked.

If you do, please don't pay extortionate costs. A basic DV certificate is enough.
https://www.namecheap.com/security/ssl-certificates.aspx

SSL Certificates are also free from providers that use cPanel for their hosting the majority of the time ;)
Hmm, interesting. The email came from a cpanel related email address.

Man of Honour
It's probably an automated email from cPanel, that's become a new(ish) feature. Your site doesn't currently have an in-date SSL so I wouldn't worry about it as your site doesn't appear to have any user interaction (beyond the staff portal which uses an https:// URL to a different site), unless you get a Let's Encrypt certificate (usually free).

Soldato
It's probably an automated email from cPanel, that's become a new(ish) feature. Your site doesn't currently have an in-date SSL so I wouldn't worry about it as your site doesn't appear to have any user interaction (beyond the staff portal which uses an https:// URL to a different site), unless you get a Let's Encrypt certificate (usually free).
Pretty much my thinking. Thanks for your thoughts.

Soldato
Looking to moving to Krystal myself and just getting a cloud server to host about 10 sites (currently doing the same with Vidahost)

Don't suppose anyone's got any codes of free trials so I can do a comparison before I make the leap?

Soldato
Looking to moving to Krystal myself and just getting a cloud server to host about 10 sites (currently doing the same with Vidahost)

Don't suppose anyone's got any codes of free trials so I can do a comparison before I make the leap?

Most people will have referral codes for new buyers, I know I do, but have nothing for free trials. I'd email them, ask for a month for free as a trial as you'll be wanting a topaz/ruby package, I'm sure they'll help out. Their support is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom