** HANDS ON WITH THE ASUS STRIX FUSION 500 **

OcUK Staff
Hi guys,

Had Asus visit today and they bought with them a pair of the upcoming (next few weeks) STRIX Fusion 500 7.1 USB RGB Gaming Headset.

First impressions are that it has one of the best low end soundscapes I've ever heard in a gaming headset. I love Run The jewels and the headset sounded great with clear mids and trebles while the bass was some of the punchiest I've ever heard, the headset handled El-P's gritty industrial sound with aplomb. The internal Hi-fi-grade ESS ES9018 DAC and SABRE9601K amp really show their class and I was blown away. I could feel the bass which is an experience I've only ever had with hi-fi grade headsets. It held up really well until the highest of volumes at which point the vocals became a little granular, the bass held up all the way through and the mids held up extremely well too.

It has a few shortcomings such as a REALLY short USB cable for it's one and only input. However this would be remedied by a desk placed headphone stand with usb port. I also found it a little on the small side and so I don't know how long it would hold up during a long gaming session. I also like to game with my hood up and so this may exacerbate the tightness.

I'm going to take them home over the weekend and run them out with some games and will update next week!

ASUS ROG STRIX Fusion 500 7.1 USB RGB Gaming Headset @ £159.99 inc VAT

ROG Strix Fusion 500 USB RGB gaming headset, Headset-to-headset RGB light synchronization via mobile app control, Hi-fi-grade ESS DAC and amplifier, 7.1 virtual surround

Only £159.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Last edited:
Associate
Perhaps same reason some mice have RGB. You're never going to see it when in use, it's there just for show?
Source: Have G600, never notice the meeces lights unless I'm afk ;)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi guys,

Got to have a bit more of a play with them over the weekend. My thoughts:

• Bass was equally good on games as when listening to RTJ at work.

The sound quality on these headphones beats Cloud's but then it is almost twice the price cloud 2's were at launch. Really, one of the best sounding gaming headset's I've tried without a seperate DAC/AMP (although these do have an internal DAC which is reflected in the price).​
  • My friends said the mic was a little tinny and he could hear my breathing. Although he didn't notice when I'd swapped back to my clouds on Sunday, but did notice last night so could have been positioning or the way i was talking (man-flu).
  • The touch controls on the side were a little pointless as I have media keys on my keyboard. If you don't then it is a good feature.
  • The tightness made me have to remove them after just over an hour and a half, I game with a hoodie on though to keep my head warm (i'm a baldy) so perhaps wouldn't be so pronounced for people with hair.
  • The braided cable had a loose weave and grated on my clothing so that i could hear it in the cups.
  • Overall a solid effort from ASUS with a few niggles that they could easily fix with another revision.
I look forward to trying the fusion 700 as the wireless option will sort the cable niggle and I would love a wireless headset that sounded as rich as these.

OcUK Staff
OP
Why on earth would you need RGB on a piece of equipment located behind eye level where you cannot ever see it?

More Asus tat.

giphy.gif

rgb-all-the-things.jpg

Associate
I asked the ASUS rep what he thought the RRP was going to be one day he told me £149.99 the next day he told me it was probably actually going to be £180. Congratulations to the one punter who pre-ordered a unit at £149.99!

Ah, okily dokily, thanks for heads up.

To that lucky git, feel free to send it my way for free. I'll give you postage ;)

OcUK Staff
OP
I RGB'd the roof strut beams in my gaming attic-cave, now they illuminate the sloped roof with cycling RGB goodness, I think these headphones may compliment them nicely :p

DSC_0470_1.jpg

Nice, other than you need some Label the Cable stuff too!:

LTC Cable Management Standard Cable Tidy Bundle Pack ** Discounted ** @ £39.95 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/LTC-...le-Tidy-Bundle-Pack-Discounted-BU-000-CB.html

Starter bundle for desk cable management, Bundle Includes: CB-00F-CB - LTC Cable Tube, CB-002-CB - LTC Pro Roll, CB-00C-CB - LTC Mini cable ties with Labels

Only £39.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Soldato
£180? I can't see how Asus, who aren't a reputable brand of headphone, can justify that pricetag. My Sennheiser G4ME Zero cost less and is likely far better quality.

Associate
Still bit rich for me, will keep peepers on sales, or grab something else ;)
Hmm, just saw the OC3D review.
Seems some weird design choices. The lighting can be done via bluetooth app on mobile, but you're permanently connected to pc via USB, so can do it via pc .exe at any time anyway.
Could've saved some pennies on not having that hardware included, unless it's part of the next version up?

/shrugs

Back
Top Bottom