iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Soldato
Got my phone checked today at Apple. I had to move the last appointment by a week. It came up at 87% life and 1381 cycles. They said the life is ok but it has gone over 800 cycles which means the battery is well over its expected life. Whilst using the phone it was lagging during scrolling of the settings screen so he could see it was running slow. He ran some more diagnostics to check the other hardware and software and it came back ok. They recommended replacing the battery.

They said they had 1000s of batteries in the back and they are currently booking people in to get them replaced. It takes about 1-1.5 hours. They will call me soon to arrange a date and time I can come in to change the battery. It will cost £25.

Soldato
Do people think that this will be extended to iPads?

Doubt it, the software doesn't effect the iPad. Plus they are much less likely to suffer serious degradation in their useful life time, the battery is much bigger meaning its easier to manage, its much less likely to be cycled daily like a phone. I'd imagine most iPads are cycled at most once or twice a week rather than once a day.

Soldato
Doubt it, the software doesn't effect the iPad. Plus they are much less likely to suffer serious degradation in their useful life time, the battery is much bigger meaning its easier to manage, its much less likely to be cycled daily like a phone. I'd imagine most iPads are cycled at most once or twice a week rather than once a day.

Sounds about right. My old iPad 2 I gave my father is still only getting chance twice a week with his "heavy" use.

Man of Honour
There doesn't seem to be a coconut battery installer for Windows? Has there been an ETA at all on when they will add in the battery status into the OS?

Think I'll just swap the battery out sometime and do a benchmark before/after.

Soldato
There doesn't seem to be a coconut battery installer for Windows? Has there been an ETA at all on when they will add in the battery status into the OS?

Think I'll just swap the battery out sometime and do a benchmark before/after.
They will check the battery in store. Just book it in and they will do a full check of the phone. I use battery life app on my phone it said 83% life remaining and in store it said 87% remaining.

Soldato
do you have to be on iOS 11 and it running like a dog before they will offer the replacement battery for £25?

Mines on 88% but drops to 83 if the phone had been used for awhile and warms up.

I use a app called battery life to check it

Man of Honour
They will check the battery in store. Just book it in and they will do a full check of the phone. I use battery life app on my phone it said 83% life remaining and in store it said 87% remaining.
Can’t stand their stores so will wait for the official update to include the stats.

Man of Honour
Oh right, thought it was to enable the status of the battery as well. To be honest my 6S is still running fine but was more just out of interest. I intend in keeping it at least another year so might just swap it out anyway at some point as have the tools already.

Associate
Has anyone gotten their 7+ battery changed? Wondering if they change the battery or just give you a new handset as I thought you couldn't close it back up without ruining the waterproofing? My battery life is terrible. Did a check on coconut and it's at 75%, 450 cycles...

Soldato
A cycle is going from 100% to 0% which most realistically don't do in a day.

https://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/service-and-recycling/

iPhone Owners
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80 per cent of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service. Prices and terms may vary.

Hmmm..... Apple stating its 1 year for the battery. Guess its only £25 at the min. They should just change the battery and seal it back up.

Soldato
A cycle is going from 100% to 0% which most realistically don't do in a day.

https://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/service-and-recycling/

Hmmm..... Apple stating its 1 year for the battery. Guess its only £25 at the min. They should just change the battery and seal it back up.

There is a disclaimer somewhere that states that the Apple warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. Which is two years from purchase IF you can prove the fault existed at the time of manufacture. Apple have basically admitted the fault was known when they wrote the software, which is a bit of a giveaway in my opinion.

Associate
Has anyone here had to reserve a battery before getting it replaced? I have an appointment with a genius on Saturday and am hoping they can do it there and then, but apple support said that they may not have any stock.
Has anyone been turned away due to lack of batteries?

Soldato
Saw on the Apple Site that this service is being offered up until the end of 2018. So I plan on waiting until later on in the year before taking advantage. Not noticed a huge amount of slowdown, although at times my phone does need a hard reset randomly :(
iPhone 6S+ 128Gb :)

Back
Top Bottom