Gin recommendations?

Commissario
OP
An update - I'm well over half way through the Sipsmith now and it's very good. It's slightly more bitter than the Blue Bottle and not quite so smooth but it's still very good. I'd recommend it.

I've got these samples to work through once I've finished the Sipsmith and decide what to buy next.

7In1R0w.jpeg

Soldato
I had an opportunity to go to the Cotswolds Distillery in Novermber last year, while their main thing is whisky they started making Gin to sell in between the whisky aging time, and it is really very nice. Certainly worth trying it if you see a bottle.

Associate
I seen this getting good reviews online, I don't have any gin in the house and actually quite like a nice G&T now and again. Have you tried Brooklyn Gin and how does it compare?

Sorry, missed this.

If I remember Brooklyn is very citrus based. Mare opens up with rosemary, then gives way to olives / Thyme etc. Quite a different type of Gin, but also extremely smooth. The herbs in Mare go well with a bit of lemon, so you can dial up the citrus taste if that's what you like in Brooklyn :)

Soldato
1. Harris!!!!!!!!!
Drink it, lick it off your girlfriend, lick it off the floor, add some some of their kelp water to it, add some tonic. Then make the finished bottle into a lamp by stuffing it full of Xmas lights. Can do no wrong, just incredible!!!!!

2. Silent Pool.
Another fav (also great as a lamp). Easy to drink, tastes great, garnish and feed it with a good tonic and enjoy.

3. Mare.
Gin from the med. Simply amazing with fever tree med tonic, a nice stem of rosemary and a slice of orange. Yum!

4. Edinburgh Xmas gin
Drank lots recently and works soooo well with fever tree ltd edition Xmas tonic (orangy and cinnamon).

5.Ophir
Nice everyday gin and great value, but have one of 1-4 and move onto Ophir and it'll show the lower level it's really at Vs the above.

Need a gin now

Soldato
Anyone tried Boe gin? this one - https://shop.boegin.com/collections/all/products/boe-superior-gin

I've got 1 serving left in my bottle I got from work before Xmas.

I don't really know what to make of it. It's the only bottle of Gin I've owned to drink and not sure whether I've tried Gin in the past so I'm near enough in the exact same position as Feek.

I tried drinking it neat which was okay, it's strong and makes my head shiver at the moment of drinking it, most spirits do this but probably because I drink them wrong. The taste is nothing great, not nice or bad, the warmth when swallowed is lovely. To take the edge of it I bought some Schweppes lemonade and tried roughly 1:3 and 2:2 mixes and it was okay, still not enjoyable but better than drinking neat. Next I bought some Fever-Tree Indian Tonic Water and tried the same mixes again. Here I found that Lemonade is quite a poor mixer imo as compared to Tonic Water it's too strong, with the tonic water you can taste more of the gin but with a reduced effect of that sensation you(I) get in the throat and nose when you exhale after a drink, the lemonade kills it completely. With tonic the warmth while reduced is still present.

I dunno if this may make sense, with tonic it was like I was adding it to the gin, with lemonade it's like I was adding gin.

I can safely say I wouldn't buy another bottle of Boe gin. Maybe it's the brand or maybe Gin just isn't for me or I didn't do enough to help it by adding ice and lemon or lime, and frankly that's something I cba to do.

That being said though... I want to try some more Gin :o Isle of Harris was sold pretty well by @-Ad-

Soldato
Picked up these today - Perfect size as I mix 1/4 gin to 3/4 tonic and generally use a 50ml measure.

cDzCwIH.jpeg

Along with this...

EdC6FXA.jpeg
Where did you find the aromatic tonic cans? I have seen the bottles everyone but as you say, the cans are the perfect size for a G&T.

Soldato
My local asda isn't doing cans of schewps anymore just fever tree, looks like it's just fever tree from now on. :p I'm half way through my bottle of Warner Edwards Elderflower which is definitely my favourite gin so far. Interesting that Feek doesn't like the Warner Edwards dry, I've never tried it.

Associate
Just picked myself up a bottle of Sipsmiths and a box of Fevertree - always nice at the end of the day afterwork!

Can't beat a Sipsmith's.

Dare I say it - recently had the pleasure of drinking some Rhubarb gin "Rhubarb triangle Gin" from The boutique-y gin company. Not one for the purists, but lovely with a splash of ginger ale.

Back
Top Bottom