Sky Fibre Optic

Associate
It was simply because it isn't given out with Pro. Static IP is irrelevant to me as a our internet is purely family use. I don't intend to get Sky Q TV anytime soon, so I am just looking to boost WiFi and multi device handling. I am not sure the Q hub is best for that anyway, reading multiple reviews and opinions.

Associate
Their system does not allow Max to be selected for my line. No one is entirely sure why, if it is a line quality issue or something else. A note has been applied to my account which allows me to switch over with the same discount in place should that change.

They will ring me in two weeks to see how the line has settled and make sure the billing has gone through properly.

I checked earlier and the hub is syncing at roughly 62/13 (up from 39/10) and a speed test put it running at close to that allowing for overheads. However, tonight the speed tests are dropping down slightly lower than my old speed, so I will have to see how things go before I start playing with any hardware.

Caporegime
Their system does not allow Max to be selected for my line. No one is entirely sure why, if it is a line quality issue or something else. A note has been applied to my account which allows me to switch over with the same discount in place should that change.

They will ring me in two weeks to see how the line has settled and make sure the billing has gone through properly.

I checked earlier and the hub is syncing at roughly 62/13 (up from 39/10) and a speed test put it running at close to that allowing for overheads. However, tonight the speed tests are dropping down slightly lower than my old speed, so I will have to see how things go before I start playing with any hardware.

I suspect it's down to speed, or the estimate available. Did they say what the estimated speed was?

Associate
Up to 57, with a minimum of 35. As I could max out the standard fibre I would be happy if the line ran at the current sync speed.

Does fibre really fluctuate so much during the first two weeks? I don't remember that period when we first got it. I wonder if the SR102 hub the problem, as the sync is steady but the through put is a bit up and down.

I tried a Steam download, which previously maxed out at 3.9 on and it only got up to 4.1. I know their servers vary wildly.

I need to ring a query the contract and deal too. I was told over the phone it was 18 months and they would match the deal for that term. I had an email this morning saying the discount was for 12 months, as was the minimum service period. If that means the contract is only 12 months then it isn't an issue but it lacks clarity.

Caporegime
Up to 57, with a minimum of 35. As I could max out the standard fibre I would be happy if the line ran at the current sync speed.

Does fibre really fluctuate so much during the first two weeks? I don't remember that period when we first got it. I wonder if the SR102 hub the problem, as the sync is steady but the through put is a bit up and down.

I tried a Steam download, which previously maxed out at 3.9 on and it only got up to 4.1. I know their servers vary wildly.

I need to ring a query the contract and deal too. I was told over the phone it was 18 months and they would match the deal for that term. I had an email this morning saying the discount was for 12 months, as was the minimum service period. If that means the contract is only 12 months then it isn't an issue but it lacks clarity.
Pro is the only 12 month contract these days. Unlimited, unlimited plus and Max are all 18 month contracts.

Associate
Ah, that explains it, thanks MissChief. The setup phone call was an interesting one involving lots of checking systems and being on hold but I can't fault the effort and service I was given.

Associate
whats sky fibre like for gaming? low pings? is there problems with NAT type in certain games etc?

Seems like a good deal and can save myself £30 a month switching!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You will probably find it a lot better these days if its been a while. :) My FTTC (not Sky as the ISP, but the same wholesale network) is between 7-10ms to UK hosts.

Soldato
Can't say I've noticed any issues but it's been a long time since I played a game with ping showing TBH.

If you ping bbc.co.uk what do you get? When I was with Sky on Fibre Pro, I was getting constant 12ms ping from Lincolnshire to London servers. I'm with Plusnet now and get a constant 10ms ping. :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Pinging bbc.co.uk [151.101.64.81] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 151.101.64.81: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=58

(TalkTalk FTTC) Surprised that Skys network would add so much to that.

Associate
My connection is typically around 12-13ms on UK servers. Always very response in Steam based games and no problems on PS4.

The upgrade has settled down to 64/13 with Steam servers downloading at 7.2mbps :).

Back
Top Bottom