Changes to MOT test coming into effect from May 2018

Man of Honour
Really? Are you saying Diesel can be run clean in the same way Electric cars can, if no one messes with the engine output?

Particulates, not emissions.

BBC said:
However, modern diesels actually emit very few particulates - because they are equipped with special filters.

According to Emissions Analytics chief executive Nick Molden these systems work very well.

His company carries out its own real-world emissions testing - as opposed to the tests used by manufacturers to certify their new vehicles, which until recently were exclusively laboratory-based.

"Modern diesels essentially do not have a particulates problem," he says. "The filters clean up 99% of the particles. So long as they are not tampered with, they are very effective".

Soldato
How many of even the hardened diesel fanboys are actually gonna go to all the effort of doing that every year though?

Hardened car fans have a friendly MOT tester. Hell I know a guy who will do a ticket on a car without seeing it as long as someone vouches for you and your car for £100.

Caporegime
Hardened car fans have a friendly MOT tester. Hell I know a guy who will do a ticket on a car without seeing it as long as someone vouches for you and your car for £100.
And those SOBs are just as bad.

All you 'hardened car fans' care about is getting what you want, screw everyone else.

Soldato
Well how many swap cats out for mot time? People will go to the extreme sometimes to not have to fork out extra £££
A handful of dedicated performance/modified car enthusiasts, a completely different breed to the 'remapped my diesel and got the DPF ripped out because i'm a cheapskate' motorist.

Caporegime
My car is a personal import yet because the chassis number and engine code line up on the database it must be tested as a UK car. (M.O.T doesn't give specific chassis numbers but a range) I had to get a letter from Toyota stating my car was built to meet Japanese emission standards just to get it to be tested as a non cat car. U.K cars have EGR and a different map. I do wonder how my tester will see this in the summer as with the letter I just leave my decat on.

Man of Honour
Engine Management Light is an interesting one. My wife's car get this intermittently and so far after 3 trips to dealership (including having it from Wednesday until now) they have not been able to find a fault that's caused it (despite the light still being on the last time we took it in). If a car failed it's first MOT because of this I wonder if that could be used to force the manufacturer to repair or replace?

Soldato
Good. Removing them is absolutely unacceptable.

What is the point in developing technology to make a material effect on the reduction of harmful emissions if people who think they know better just remove it? A diesel with a functioning DPF reduces particulate emissions by up to 99% - they are absolutely crucial. Diesels originally fitted with a DPF which no longer have one should not be on the road and hopefully now with these changes they won't be.

Unfortunately, there are a vast number of MOT stations that can be... Errm enticed into passing these cars.

Hell... My car doesn't pass emmisions... Yet.... Yea

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The only thing of benefit to me really is the "undertrays fitted" that should be no more with the new changes. Most annoying.

Soldato
Unfortunately, there are a vast number of MOT stations that can be... Errm enticed into passing these cars.

And hopefully they'll be found out, heavily fined and struck off by VOSA/DVSA.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to press my HVAC recirculation button because I'm behind some selfish **** in some POS diesel who is allowed to spit out cancerous particulates because he has a "friendly MOT tester".

Soldato
What about this bit:

Other changes to the MoT test include the addition of a check for reverse lights, while brake discs will be inspected to see if they are “significantly or obviously worn”, as well as taking in current checks for oil contamination of the disc, and how securely they are attached to the wheel hubs.

I remove the disc retention bolt on both our cars when changing discs because it frequently seizes up and it's the roadwheel bolts which hold the disc.

Does this now mean both our cars will be a fail?

Man of Honour
New potential failure there for me with an eagle eyed tester.

The not hugely obvious EGR setup is removed/blanked as the turbo manifold doesn't have a provision for it to still be fitted

Associate
What about this bit:

Other changes to the MoT test include the addition of a check for reverse lights, while brake discs will be inspected to see if they are “significantly or obviously worn”, as well as taking in current checks for oil contamination of the disc, and how securely they are attached to the wheel hubs.

I remove the disc retention bolt on both our cars when changing discs because it frequently seizes up and it's the roadwheel bolts which hold the disc.

Does this now mean both our cars will be a fail?

How could this be checked without removing the wheels, which afaik they aren't allowed to do ?

Soldato
Most of these changes are to catch out diesel owners who gutted their DPF, which is a good thing.

But the thing is my car has pretty much the whole underside covered in under trays as standard, as have many other performance cars (because they decrease drag a lot). Yet there's no change to allow the garage to take them off to check the car isn't falling to bits underneath. They are great at hiding rust until it's to late.

Yea this is still a thing. Take it to a garage who is in to tuning/modifying cars themselves and they will often look the other way. But if something does happen and they find something wrong with the car which it should have failed for, they will go to prison for MOT fraud while the driver can plead ignorance. So it's risky.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom