Two fairly similar systems - any tweaks?

Associate
Hi,

Am a teacher and my students are going to build two computers and run benchmarking software to compare the two, have two systems, one AMD and one Intel, prices are fairly similar. Any suggestions to changes/tweaks.

Systems will be used in the school library once built and finished.

Thanks

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £714.97 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Man of Honour
just fyi, the amd system does not have an integrated gpu, you will need one for it to run.
also, do you need a 4 core i3? a cheaper option is to get a pentium dual core from previous gen to save on costs.

Associate
OP
Ah, thank you. Was under the impression the amd board had onboard graphics. Any suggestions for one with onboard graphics?

Processor is picked to match price, want them fairly similar for the benchmarks.

Again any suggestions to which motherboard matches, similar price?

Really appreciate the help

Associate
Sadley, no AMD AM4 boards have integrated graphics as it's not a feature on the Ryzan cpu's (they mostly do have the outputs though)
The upcoming AMD Raven Ridge series of desktop processors will have integrated graphics but they aren't out till February-March time I believe.

Soldato
Yep, it's annoying that AMD has taken so long to release desktop Raven Ridge parts. I think it's because they are considered 2nd generation (and will have the same improvements as Pinnacle Ridge, according to an AMD rep). For now you can get an nVidia GT 710 or AMD R5 230 for under £30 from various retailers if you just need a display. They are passively cooled (thus silent) and I believe both have basic AVC video acceleration.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, thank you. Was under the impression the amd board had onboard graphics. Any suggestions for one with onboard graphics?

Processor is picked to match price, want them fairly similar for the benchmarks.

Again any suggestions to which motherboard matches, similar price?

Really appreciate the help
Coffeelake will need an expensive z370 motherboard - cheapest ~£110 - so total with CPU is ~£220. There isn't a cheap alternative - the Ryzen will have to have a GFX card added that marries up the prices for comparison.

Total: £230.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

For a price/performance match the Ryzen build would need a GTX 1030 plus an A4 CPU and motherboard that comes to the same price - e.g.:

Total: £227.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

They both use dual channel and as Ryzen would benefit from 3000MHz memory, and is slightly under the INTEL budget, you could add the below memory as both will benefit from the extra MHz (but the Ryzen would be hamstrung with the lower memory speed):

EDIT: Note you could clock the i3 on the expensive z370 - so you could run a separate bench comparison. The cheap Ryzen board will not allow any overclocking - even though the chip is unlocked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom