• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
OP
AMD may suck with discreet graphics cards but their CPU and APU side is really good for the money.

Not sure about that, AMD's discrete GPU's sell out everywhere, cater for the gamer and the miner alike. Cheaper and faster than Nvidia's counterpart except they don't have a gaming GPU to match the 1080Ti. Yet the Vega 56 / 64 sell for similar prices as the 1080 Ti in terms of mining right now. It's quite genius of AMD tbh. With such a small comparable budget compared to other big company's. AMD have still managed to compete and excel in every market. Console, PC, server.

Really impressed with AMD atm. I think they do wanders with what they have. Their discrete GPU's far from suck. CPU's are good now. APU's about to be very good. Yeah nothing bad to say about em right now. Keep it up AMD !

Also Nvidia's move into automotive was another genius move. Nintendo Switch, yeah Nvidia firing on all cylinders too.

Soldato
I think you may be wrong there, AMD have massively pushed APU's in the past and I will be really interested to see just how far ahead these are from the A6-A12 range. If you want a desktop with lite gaming capabilities in the living room for instance, those chips were really popular... it will be interesting to see if the same happens again - but this time they are on mainstream motherboards that are going to have support all the way to Ryzen 2 so you have a massive upgrade path...
I am already sitting on a bunch of components - just a PSU, CPU and Mainboard away from a PC... I am holding out for Ryzen+ to see which way to jump.
Most of the am4 boards don't have hdmi2 so it's a deal-breaker to those who will be affected.

Soldato
Most of the am4 boards don't have hdmi2 so it's a deal-breaker to those who will be affected.
I would assume that with these APU's motherboard manufacturers will take the opportunity to add some HDMI2 boards to the new B450 etc ranges to allow for that. I am only going to game at 1080p so it won't bother me either way.

Soldato
In the real world, performance-wise, what AMD/Nvidia card is the iGPU comparable to on the 2 announced APUs?
Do we think it'll be better than my laptops 7970M? I'd quite like to demote my NUC to TV emulation box and build a quiet APU system again but would want it to be as powerful graphically as my laptop.

Soldato
In the real world, performance-wise, what AMD/Nvidia card is the iGPU comparable to on the 2 announced APUs?
Do we think it'll be better than my laptops 7970M? I'd quite like to demote my NUC to TV emulation box and build a quiet APU system again but would want it to be as powerful graphically as my laptop.
I would expect the beefier version included in the R5 2400G to compete with the nVidia MX150 (which is a mobile version of the GT 1030), probably slightly slower on average. That would put it around RX 550 level.

Soldato
The only thing I wouod be slightly worried about is the i7 8809g. They really have managed to stick a lump of HBM and far more GPU cores onto a Kabylake package.
Edit
I guess a lot depends on price, but it does look like a pretty compelling lounge product...

Last edited:
Soldato
The only thing I wouod be slightly worried about is the i7 8809g. They really have managed to stick a lump of HBM and far more GPU cores onto a Kabylake package.
Is there anything stopping them making this a desktop/lounge product that blows the 2400g away?
No but it'll be far more expensive, especially with HBM on-package. I mean, the i7-8700K is better than an R7 1700X in most cases but it also costs nearly 50% more, so it's not a terribly fair comparison.

Soldato
Chaps, do these Ryzen 2000 series APUs sport the upgraded cores from the 12nm refresh?

Can't wait for the 2800X and decent 470 boards to drop... will be my first new main PC build in almost a decade! :eek:

Soldato
Chaps, do these Ryzen 2000 series APUs sport the upgraded cores from the 12nm refresh?

Can't wait for the 2800X and decent 470 boards to drop... will be my first new main PC build in almost a decade! :eek:

Same boat. (7 years for me but still). I've even got my ram bought and ready. Chomping at the bit now. 7 weeks till solid news/reveal (GDC 2018) then another 3-4 weeks for release. Oh well, it'll get here soon enough.

Soldato
Same boat. (7 years for me but still). I've even got my ram bought and ready. Chomping at the bit now. 7 weeks till solid news/reveal (GDC 2018) then another 3-4 weeks for release. Oh well, it'll get here soon enough.
If I got DDR4 before prices went mental I'd very likely go Pinnacle Ridge. :(

Soldato
I got 16GB of DDR4 for £56,but it was only 2400MHZ DDR4,but if I have to upgrade and the RAM prices are still silly,then I will use it even with the performance drop which will happen with both AMD and Intel! :(
I am in the same boat. 2400hz ram is all my pocket could afford. I am hoping to be able to clock it up a bit.

Permabanned
I would expect the beefier version included in the R5 2400G to compete with the nVidia MX150 (which is a mobile version of the GT 1030), probably slightly slower on average. That would put it around RX 550 level.

I wonder how the Ryzen 5 2400G would compare to an HD7770 GDDR5??

This is very decent performance for a system without discrete graphics card.
Radeon HD 7770 is in the same ballpark as Radeon HD 6850/6870.

Back
Top Bottom