Are you doing anything with Hue?

Associate
I love my smartthings. I use the dirt cheap xiaomi sensors (think £4 for a door sensor, £7 for a motion detector), and couple with the ikea bulbs, i now have cheap automated house. great product.

to avoid having to replace all my lights, i have also installed the xiaomi mains light switches (they dont need a neutral so great for the UK). £22 quid for a double switch that alexa or the smartthings app can talk to.....fantastic

Soldato
I love my smartthings. I use the dirt cheap xiaomi sensors (think £4 for a door sensor, £7 for a motion detector), and couple with the ikea bulbs, i now have cheap automated house. great product.

to avoid having to replace all my lights, i have also installed the xiaomi mains light switches (they dont need a neutral so great for the UK). £22 quid for a double switch that alexa or the smartthings app can talk to.....fantastic

Co9uld you link me to some of the sensors?

Associate
not directly. They need to speak through a zigbee coordinator, hence the smartthings. hue is compatible with smartthings though. hue uses ZLL protocol, smarthings ZHA, but hue bulbs can be converted to ZHA....all a unnecessarily complex.

Mods - not sure if i can link to gearbest (for the aqara sensors), can you edit this if an issue and accept my apology. Thanks

Soldato
Does anyone know if there are any smart light sensors, I live in a townhouse where the stairway is quite dark through the day during most of the winter except for bright days, I would like to set a command to trigger the lights to turn on automatically when it hits a certain low light threshold, rather than just at night or certain times of the day, just wondering if anyone had a similar situation?

Soldato
Does anyone know if there are any smart light sensors, I live in a townhouse where the stairway is quite dark through the day during most of the winter except for bright days, I would like to set a command to trigger the lights to turn on automatically when it hits a certain low light threshold, rather than just at night or certain times of the day, just wondering if anyone had a similar situation?

I have exactly that.. I use motion sensors so they just come on when I'm moving rather than messing with dawn to dusk or light levels.

Soldato
I've got the motion sensors, but I don't need light most of the time during the day, it's only for the really miserable days. I've got the samsung smart things sensors and they don't do the light level, so may just invest in one to place on the middle level that will set the parameter for everywhere else.

Soldato
not directly. They need to speak through a zigbee coordinator, hence the smartthings. hue is compatible with smartthings though. hue uses ZLL protocol, smarthings ZHA, but hue bulbs can be converted to ZHA....all a unnecessarily complex.

Mods - not sure if i can link to gearbest (for the aqara sensors), can you edit this if an issue and accept my apology. Thanks
Gearbest is fine to quote and link as members link it in the mobile section :)

Associate
Oh that’s good it’s come down in price, I’ll order one payday Friday.
Got a nice new 4K panel in my bedroom needs some hue loving

Associate
I was just about to suggest smartthings.. I absolutely LOVE mine to the point where I think Hue would irritate me if I didn't have it.

Pretty much all of my lights are based around routines with motion and presence sensors at various times of day.

I just never think about light, it just follows me around the house when I want it.. It's lush and then for everything else there's Alexa :)

My last addition was a door sensor on the understairs cupboard linked to an Innr GU10 bulb in the cupboard... Door opens, light comes on.. door closed, light turns off..

Little things.. :)

Just started getting into the home automation stuff, and this is what im after. I currently have 3 Hue bulbs and a bridge along with Google Home. Could similar be achieved with just Hue bulbs/bridge or does the Smartthings hub add something?

Soldato
The strip kit is overpriced but I can understand you are paying for Philips IP in the controller and all that but what really takes the mick are the extension pieces, £20 for 1m of standard RGBW lighting cable. :eek:

Soldato
Just started getting into the home automation stuff, and this is what im after. I currently have 3 Hue bulbs and a bridge along with Google Home. Could similar be achieved with just Hue bulbs/bridge or does the Smartthings hub add something?

The hub adds access to the sensors like.movment and presence along with various routines.. ie see movement on X sensor at Y time do Z...

Back
Top Bottom