Lily Allen: "History is racist"

Caporegime
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ng-battle-of-rorkes-drift-is-an-a3749026.html

On the one hand, you'd by forgiven for thinking that station notices should probably just stick to information about the trains, the network, etc. It does say "Service Information" after all.

On the other hand, apparently recalling historical events in a matter-of-fact manner is now racist. At least if it has anything to do with Empire/colonialism. I guess these things shouldn't be taught in school either, unless Lily Allen is there to say how evil the Brits were.

Tbh, I was never going to buy or listen to her crap anyhow, but all this does is make me want to avoid anything that she has anything to do with, as she's obviously a ****. History is history, yo. Even the stuff with ancient aliens.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
The problem with rewriting history is that it makes it easier for history to be repeated.

We need reminded of the good and bad parts of history so that we learn and evolve.

Caporegime
OP
Was she the one who complained or just posted a comment on the tweet?
If you read the article she made a big deal about how you can't "pay tribute" to British soldiers who died fighting for empire. That apparently includes simply recalling what happened in famous historical battles. Because just recalling a historical event is apparently pining for Empire.

She said it makes a large number of Brits "upset" to read historical accounts of Empire. She also said that if some people didn't agree with her complaint, "that's fine" but that she was right to condemn it, and it was right for it to be removed. Because her opinion matters, apparently.

She also said that the Service Information board was for "uplifting comments" - no silly, it's for Service Information. The non-erasable title on the board really gives the game away.

Permabanned
To be honest, yeah. History is racist... but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be taught or recounted.

I hate the anti PC culture that's sprung up in Britain recently. I think it summarises perfectly the ill-informed attitudes that people have. But here is an example of GENUINE madness in PC culture. It should NEVER be wrong to recount history for factual purposes. That sign offers next to no political bias. I'm as ashamed of my countries colonialist history and the nostalgic right wingers that miss it as the next person, but man...

Nonsense.

Soldato
I think we should add the line "which was totally bad yo" to the end of any historical information that might upset Lily Allen. It re-iterates the fact that the thing we're talking about is bad yo and the use of the word yo keeps it relevant to da kids. It's the least we can do for a national treasure who has contributed to this nation in so many ways, none of which I can currently recall.

Actually I think South Park had this right, any divisive historical figures (Nazis, colonial soldiers, slave masters etc) should be replaced with ewoks, and any tools of oppression should be replaced with walkie talkies.

Soldato
It should NEVER be wrong to recount history for factual purposes. That sign offers next to no political bias.

What about the cherry-picking of history? We choose to remember Rorke’s Drift because the British won an improbable victory. The rest of the Anglo-Zulu war is glossed over.

Soldato
"Transport for London was forced to apologise"
no they weren't they just pussied out to some attention-seeking gash instead of telling her to STFU. what next, a campaign to get those VCs revoked etc etc?

Soldato
If you read the article she made a big deal about how you can't "pay tribute" to British soldiers who died fighting for empire. That apparently includes simply recalling what happened in famous historical battles. Because just recalling a historical event is apparently pining for Empire.

She said it makes a large number of Brits "upset" to read historical accounts of Empire. She also said that if some people didn't agree with her complaint, "that's fine" but that she was right to condemn it, and it was right for it to be removed. Because her opinion matters, apparently.

She also said that the Service Information board was for "uplifting comments" - no silly, it's for Service Information. The non-erasable title on the board really gives the game away.

I did read it but they've purposefully made it unclear about whether she just retweeted and commented or if she was the one who complained. I'm going with it wasn't her and she just made a stupid tweet as usual, still annoying but not as bad as if she was the one who demanded it was wiped off.

Permabanned
What about the cherry-picking of history? We choose to remember Rorke’s Drift because the British won an improbable victory. The rest of the Anglo-Zulu war is glossed over.

I think that's a separate issue, right? One that has it's own set of problems. Unless you think that the note in and of itself pertains to historic bias? Which I guess in a way it does.

Caporegime
I did like that one catchy song she had. No, not that one, the other one.

Oh, he treats me with respect
He says he loves me all the time
He calls me 15 times a day
He likes to make sure that I'm fine
You know I've never met a man who's made me feel quite so secure
He's not like all them other boys
They're all so dumb and immature

There's just one thing that's getting in the way
When we go up to bed you're just no good
It's such a shame
I look into your eyes I want to get to know you
And then you make this noise and it's apparent it's all over

At least she drops some brutal pills in her lyrics :)

Back
Top Bottom